I already have a Shure SM58 which I use for live and recording vocals and am deciding whether to get a Shure SM57 or a Studio Projects C1. I figured that I could record the SM57 and SM58 at the same time for acoustic and vocals. I heard that if you remove the windscreen of an SM58 it becomes exactly the same as the SM57. Would it be worth it to save the extra money for a Studio Projects C1 for acoustic and vocals? Would it matter if i did not have the "industry standard" SM57 that people say is a must for any person who is serious about recording? I have an SM58 anyway.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by neon10th
I already have a Shure SM58 which I use for live and recording vocals and am deciding whether to get a Shure SM57 or a Studio Projects C1. I figured that I could record the SM57 and SM58 at the same time for acoustic and vocals. I heard that if you remove the windscreen of an SM58 it becomes exactly the same as the SM57. Would it be worth it to save the extra money for a Studio Projects C1 for acoustic and vocals? Would it matter if i did not have the "industry standard" SM57 that people say is a must for any person who is serious about recording? I have an SM58 anyway.

If you're sure you want the SM57 go for it, it's not particularly expensive BUT people are right when they tell you it is essentially an SM58 with the windshield removed - put one next to the other EQ'd the same and you'll be hard-pushed to find any difference.

That being said, if you want to use them simultaneously you don't have that luxury. As for cheaper alternatives, the Thomann.de own-brand version is pretty damn close for a fraction of the price so I'd suggest that if you don't mind buying online. I haven't even heard of the studio projects mic so can't really help you there though.

I'd personally suggest an AKG C1000S or Rode M3 if you want something to mic acoustic guitars though, as both are excellent (I have the M3 which I use as a multi-purpose alternative to the '57 as the frequency response in the high-end is better due to it being a condenser).

At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal preference and you can EQ them heavily if you're unhappy with the sound you're getting if worst comes to worst
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yeah I was thinking of stepping up to a condenser mic such as the Studio Projects C1 but I'm not sure if it's worth making the investment since my budget is really tight and I'm planning on getting a new electric guitar. The SM57 and SM58 might be all I need for acoustic and vocal, but then again, the Studio Projects C1 might be worth the sound difference. I am willing to EQ heavily if I have to.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by neon10th
Yeah I was thinking of stepping up to a condenser mic such as the Studio Projects C1 but I'm not sure if it's worth making the investment since my budget is really tight and I'm planning on getting a new electric guitar. The SM57 and SM58 might be all I need for acoustic and vocal, but then again, the Studio Projects C1 might be worth the sound difference. I am willing to EQ heavily if I have to.

In that case, I'd suggest the Thomann one (I think it's called the t-bone SM85 haha) which I'll look up for you in a second. I've used Thomann before a few times now and never had any problems, in case you're a bit unsure of buying online, and they're cheaper than in the shops by a considerable amount even after the recent credit crunch issues.

Out of interest, what DAW are you using or are you recording on to a separate recorder etc. ?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I'm using Sonar. Right now I am unsatisfied with my SM58 because I get a lot of noise, but that is because I am using a Lightsnake XLR to USB cable. I am planning on getting an EMU 0404 USB, which is much better quality and much better signal to noise ratio, but I noticed that it supports phantom power too, so I was wondering if I should go condenser or get an SM57. If I were to get the SM57, I would also would have the option of removing the windscreen off of the SM58 and use it with the new SM57 to record acoustic guitar with two mics in stereo.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Feb 16, 2009,
The condenser will sound insanely better than a 57 on an acoustic.

And you can use it on the acoustic and use the 58 on vocals.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Okay, but wouldn't the condenser be better for vocals than the 58 as well?

Or maybe, I could use both the 58 and the condenser at the same time. Like record the acoustic with the condenser and the 58 for my vocals at the same time so that the condenser picks up my voice too. And maybe the 58 will pick up the acoustic a little bit too so the sound will be more full.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Feb 16, 2009,
Might do. Might not.

Vocal recording (mainly, this applies to all recording really..) is about matching the mic to the voice.

Even things like U87's can sound like crud if the voice doesn't suit them.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I would definitely go with the condenser. A condenser picks up more detail, making them (generally) better for acoustic and vocals. As you already have a 58 (which uses the same capsule as a 57) I wouldn't waste my money on something that's going to yield a similar sound. I'd go for the condenser, as you'll have a more varied and versatile setup.
There is poetry in despair.
Okay thanks, but what condenser would you guys recommend? Would the Studio Projects B1 be good enough. I heard it has a more neutral sound compared to the C1, but the brightening coloration of C1 might make it the better buy. I would go for a Rode NT1A, but my friend already has that and I could always borrow that from him. Or maybe I could get another Rode NT1A and we can use two for stereo.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Having two NT1A's at your disposal would be very handy indeed.

I would definitely go for that.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)