Hi all, when I switch to the distortion channel on my RG50 I get quite a nasty hum, however I get nothing when I'm on the clean channel. Thinking it's a dodgy tube, but as it's my first tube amp it's possible it just comes with the territory and it's normal..

Not a grounding issue with any of my guitars either, so is this a dodgy tube?
i think its tubes but i think you need an ISP Decimator Noise Suppressor.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
A pedal should not be needed to reduce hum on a completely clean rig. Guitar into the amp, no pedals whatsoever are used, so I shouldn't need a pedal to reduce a noise that shouldn't be there.
+1 to the ISP Decimator.

Because its a high gain amp, it picks up everything, and all guitars put out a small hum (nearly all anyway) so distortion channels pick up this hum and amplify it more than a clean channel. Cos its high gain

A noise suppressor like the Boss NS-2 or the ISP Decimator will help/eliminate this.

EDIT:

Firstly, ISP Decimator > Boss NS-2
Secondly, you're a little bit wrong dandadog, more pedals and stuff do create more of a hum, but the pedals dont create that hum, they just make it worse.
Last edited by McShredder at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by McShredder
+1 to the ISP Decimator.

Because its a high gain amp, it picks up everything, and all guitars put out a small hum (nearly all anyway) so distortion channels pick up this hum and amplify it more than a clean channel. Cos its high gain

A noise suppressor like the Boss NS-2 or the ISP Decimator will help/eliminate this.

EDIT:

Firstly, ISP Decimator > Boss NS-2
Secondly, you're a little bit wrong dandadog, more pedals and stuff do create more of a hum, but the pedals dont create that hum, they just make it worse.

Where would a noise reducer go in the chain then? Through the effects loop or infront of the input?

I would understand about needing a noise reducer if it was only a small amount of hum, but this is very much a loud, in your face hum. Yes most guitars cause a small amount of hum, but it's the same if I have no guitar plugged in.
Guitar>Pedals>decimator>amp.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah I had the same issue with my Randall RG50TC. My solution was getting in a habit of rolling off your guitar volume whenever you aren't playing instead of shelling out the cash for a decimator.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/