Been looking for a portable recorder just to record at home and put some of this stuff on my mac.

These are some ive been looking at

Boss Micro BR

Line 6 Backtrack

Budget is from 100-300 bucks (american). Would like some feed back on some of these and also some other options. Thanks!!
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Last edited by John5rules125 at Feb 16, 2009,
if you only want to record at home I suggest a good audio interface, I recommend something like this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516 stay away from line 6 stuff though, they are notorious for poor quality when it comes to recording interfaces.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by John5rules125
Been looking for a portable recorder just to record at home and put some of this stuff on my mac.

These are some ive been looking at

Boss Micro BR

Line 6 Backtrack

Budget is from 100-300 bucks (american). Would like some feed back on some of these and also some other options. Thanks!

you have a mac. so use a computer program and a small interface unit to easily add it to your computer.

a boss br, which i happen to have and love, is best used as an on board recorder mixer producer.

so did you want to use your recorder or your computer to do the work.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I want my recorder to do everything, not my comp, i just wanna put it into garage band and put some stuff behind it

Now will i be able to run any of these through my amp so i can use my effects from my BOSS GT-10?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
well if you want it to do everything, then i can back up the Boss recorders suggested.

i bought my BR42-- like 6 years ago.

besides one loose input, the thing has stood up like a champ.
used it just today.

you can record into them direct line or from a mixer. transfer songs from one place to another.
they use memory cards and have built in effects.

you can bounce from one track to another, add drum tracks.
line it out thru rca jacks into a PA or amp.

you can mic your amp or line out from your amp into the recorder.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Im sry, stupid question, what does mic my amp mean? Again, sry for stupid question
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
no problem. i just mean you can buy a microphone and place it in from of your amp.

then run that into the recorder. lay down a track.

or you can use the "on board" mic they put on the recorder. but that's not really very good.

it's just there in case you have something you need down right away before you forget it.

if you dont have a mic, then direct line into the recorder until you get one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i would highly recommend getting an interface and recording directly to your computer. if your going to end up putting on your mac anyway, why not just do it from the beggining?
using garageband for studio engineering and production is very effective and very easy to learn.
get the best m audio fast track that you can afford, and get a couple decent microphones and cables. enjoy.

edit/ actually if your willing to spend a little more, you should find a firewire interface. this would allow you to, eventually when your more ready, do true multitrack recording.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The thing is, the comps a school computer which i give back at the end of the year.

And this is just for sharing and puttin stuff on the 'net so my friends can hear

But with the backtrck, it has an output jack, so does that mean i can put my amp in front of it so it records that with my effects?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
ok, didnt realize it was the schools computer.
i am of little to no help then.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by John5rules125
The thing is, the comps a school computer which i give back at the end of the year.

And this is just for sharing and puttin stuff on the 'net so my friends can hear

But with the backtrck, it has an output jack, so does that mean i can put my amp in front of it so it records that with my effects?

you would need a microphone for the valveking, no matter what you are recording it to.

unless an amp has a line out. you need to mic the amp.

amps like being mic'd. that's how you get the full effect of the speaker(s).
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Its ok. Can someone please answer my question from b4? Im kinda torn between the two now

One i can put drums behind it, and its multi track, but i cant use my effects procesor, but im not sure if i can use my processor with the backtrack

EDIT: Ok thanks! Is it possible to put my effects processor with the micro br or the backtrack?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Last edited by John5rules125 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by John5rules125

EDIT: Ok thanks! Is it possible to put my effects processor with the micro br or the backtrack?

yeah, you just run from the processor straight to the recorder.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It wouldnt sound like crap through any of then since their digital or something right?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
like said. ^

you turn off all effects on the recorder. play thru the FX and line in.

sorry i didnt realize you meant using the FX and Not the amp at all.

edit: it doesnt sound as natural, but it's ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

as long as it sounds ok thats fine wit me. Micro BR it is. THANKS!!
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10