Hi All,
Not sure if im in the right place here but hey ho!
Well, early this morning before work i decided to have a little pick about for abit......when oh no im getting this crazy banging/vibrating sound from my guitar. So i went through the usual procedures ..... tightened the truss rod, checked the action, tightened all visible screws and tried again.....still the same noise. so i tried touching the bridge when the noise starts and it stops when i touch the saddles or any part of the bridge for that matter. i noticed the other day after fitting ernie ball slinkies that i was getting a bit of frett buzz but its a totally different sound. It seems to be worse when i strum a low E power chord. Im totally stumped as to whats making the noise! it could be the height of my bridge but i was wondering if anyone has any other ideas to the possible problem???
Its a Spector Pro Trem ARC 60. Not a very expensive guitar but also one that shouldnt be farting at me when im trying to rock out. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated people. THANKS!
Quote by O.F.D
So i went through the usual procedures ..... tightened the truss rod

Why?
Quote by Mazzakazza
Why?

erm....because it could have been loose!!! :S
Quote by hatecrew-81
chec if the grounding wire is loose

checked it man.....iv had all the bits off to check for the knocking noise.

Im utterly stumped!
is it electric buzz (thru the amp) or acoustic?

and no. dont "tighten" the truss rod unless you want to change the relief in your neck and even then only after measuring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by O.F.D
erm....because it could have been loose!!! :S

Are you being serious?

Truss rods aren't hard to properly adjust, I suggest you go look up how + when to do it. If you just fiddle with it whenever you feel like it, you could end up with problems.

They're not supposed to be tightened 'all the way' because you'll cause damage to the neck, eventually. This can be irreperable.

EDIT: Back on topic, is the bridge tightly flat against the body? If it's not, try tightening the claw-springs until it is.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
is it electric buzz (thru the amp) or acoustic?

and no. dont "tighten" the truss rod unless you want to change the relief in your neck and even then only after measuring.

its acoustic. tried it through the amp but its not really audible. only when i play it without the amp.
you said you got a trem cavity? weave a little cotton in the springs back there.
see if that quiets it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Mazzakazza
Are you being serious?

Truss rods aren't hard to properly adjust, I suggest you go look up how + when to do it. If you just fiddle with it whenever you feel like it, you could end up with problems.

They're not supposed to be tightened 'all the way' because you'll cause damage to the neck, eventually. This can be irreperable.

when did i say i tightened it fully. i merely checked if it was tight you muppet. im looking for help with my issue so if all you have to fill your day is to pick faults with someones cry for help then do it somewhere else. Please
Quote by jj1565
you said you got a trem cavity? weave a little cotton in the springs back there.
see if that quiets it.

cheers. ill try that and get back to you. at least someone gives a **** lol
Quote by Mazzakazza
Are you being serious?

EDIT: Back on topic, is the bridge tightly flat against the body? If it's not, try tightening the claw-springs until it is.

You could actually end up breaking your neck if you make unnecessary truss rod adjustments alot.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
O.F.D, I made an attempt at stopping you ****ing up your neck by fiddling with your truss.

^And yeah. You can break the neck with too much bow either way.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Are you being serious?

Sorry it was obviously a very 'NOOB' thing to do and yes back on topic my bridge is flat against the body bar about a mil if less.
the cotton in the cavity lol (sorry found myself chuckling to that remark) didnt help .... but i think your right i think i need to lower the bridge to bring the back of it from the body as when the noise starts touching it seems to stop it. i think it may just be rattling against the body. when i find the right ****ing allen key ill be able to see if it works lol

Thanks everyone for your sometimes aggressive yet informative (Mazzakazza im looking at you lol) help.
Last edited by O.F.D at Feb 16, 2009,
You don't seem to get it. I didn't call you a Noob. You just didn't know, I told you, what's your problem?

If cotton doesn't work, maybe an elastic band or hair-tie.
Quote by Mazzakazza
You don't seem to get it. I didn't call you a Noob. You just didn't know, I told you, what's your problem?

If cotton doesn't work, maybe an elastic band or hair-tie.

Agreed no one is saying your a noob we are just advising you not to do something that could cause you alot of pain and frustration in the future
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
yeah appreciated....im just a bit ratty as my guitar sounds like someone drumming the top of an empty biscuit tin lol
Quote by O.F.D
the cotton in the cavity lol (sorry found myself chuckling to that remark) didnt help .... but i think your right i think i need to lower the bridge to bring the back of it from the body as when the noise starts touching it seems to stop it. i think it may just be rattling against the body. when i find the right ****ing allen key ill be able to see if it works lol

Thanks everyone for your sometimes aggressive yet informative (Mazzakazza im looking at you lol) help.

i didnt realize the bridge was lifted.

yes. balance it by tightening the screws in there and / or adding a spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i didnt realize the bridge was lifted.

yes. balance it by tightening the screws in there and / or adding a spring.

ya see iv had so much trouble with this bridge. Its my first trem guitar and although i wanted a floyd rose ..... my bank balance wouldnt allow it. When i got it i think it had really light strings on it as it was fine. when i tried to put some beefier strings on it the bridge did raise. so i went and got some springs for the trem and that seemed to fix it a little. but when i put really heavy strings on it ..... it tends to raise a little. hence me getting some lighter strings this time. but when the problem first happened i thought i could fix it without the springs and so messed about with the bridge. like i said its relatively flat now but i think i may need to tighten them back down again. Im really considering taking it to my local guitar mechanics and getting them to give it a good overhaul lol
just for reference.... how do i gauge whether i have the right action, by if i get fret buzz or what?
Action is kinda preference, kinda fixed. If you want a very low action, then you'll probably want the lowest you can get away without fret buzz, which can be pretty close to the neck, but it depends on the guitar. If you like your strings a bit higher, then do so, but if you take it far enough away, you'll have difficulty fretting.

So there's like a max/min to what height you can have. If you're having problems with buzz from around frets 1 to 6/7, that you can't fix at the bridge, then you might have an issue with your truss.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Feb 16, 2009,
OFD make sure you click the green link in my sig.

read thru the first post.

it talks about action, neck relief, adjusting in the trem cavity.

i think you should just max out on springs and screw using the trem at all.
they dont work well on lower end guitars unless you lube all contact points and keep the bridge completely balanced.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

awesome.....found my allen key and tightened my action up and now the sound that was once my 'annoying thing' for the day is gone. im still getting a bit of fret buzz. ya think this could be a bad problem? if so ill just take it to my local shop im sure they will no what there doing.