Hi UG

Lately I've been getting into some faster and heavier stuff
And I know I'm more than capable of playing it
But after a minute or so, my right wrist (picking hand) locks up and starts to hurt...
This is happening mostly with what I'm playing now (Apex by the Black Dahlia Murder)

How would I loosen up my wrist so I can play the song without stopping halfway through or so?
Last edited by Reaver77 at Feb 16, 2009,
On a serious note, which wrist is it?

And part of the problem is probably that you havent gotten comfortable playing the song at a slower tempo, so when you try to take it fast your hands and wrists aren't as relaxed as they should be. If you practice it and slowly work up to tempo, it will be much more natural to your muscles and thus, you shouldn't be as tense when you play.

Just guesses but I hope this helps.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
make circles in the air with your wrist

fap?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Right wrist (picking hand)
I edited that into the main post btw

I've been playing it at a slower tempo for a while now, and I'm fine...
Then when I bring it up to speed my wrist goes all retarded
If you're picking up your guitar and playing fast stuff straight away, play slower stuff first for a few minutes. Try to focus your energy into your fingers you use to hold your pick, cause if you're putting energy into your whole hand then it's like walking around with your biceps constantly tensed. It's just not doing anything. And yeah what these guys have been saying
Quote by GuitarFreak664

And part of the problem is probably that you havent gotten comfortable playing the song at a slower tempo, so when you try to take it fast your hands and wrists aren't as relaxed as they should be. If you practice it and slowly work up to tempo, it will be much more natural to your muscles and thus, you shouldn't be as tense when you play.

+1

If you've gotten comfortable with it slow, just speed it up a little at a time, maybe 5bpm or so.
My Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Paul Allender
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Damage Control Demonizer Distortion/Preamp
It takes lots of practice. your wrist will hurt. but when your adjusted to it, youll sound alot better and be glad you practiced.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by Reaver77
Hi UG

Lately I've been getting into some faster and heavier stuff
And I know I'm more than capable of playing it
But after a minute or so, my right wrist (picking hand) locks up and starts to hurt...
This is happening mostly with what I'm playing now (Apex by the Black Dahlia Murder)

How would I loosen up my wrist so I can play the song without stopping halfway through or so?

apex is an awesome song to play
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Depending on if your fapping hand is your strumming hand. Mine isnt, So i played songs using alternate picking, Like some BLS tunes you can Down stroke the upstroke one note to add a little trebleness An example of what i do

C- -0---------0------
G-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1
C-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

Very badly tabbed but whatever.
On the Higher C you upstroke the open low C's are downstrokes and the c# is a down stroke

Epic failure at tabbing while playing air guitar. (Grave Yard Deciples)
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
Depending on if your fapping hand is your strumming hand. Mine isnt, So i played songs using alternate picking, Like some BLS tunes you can Down stroke the upstroke one note to add a little trebleness An example of what i do

C- -0---------0------
G-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1
C-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

Very badly tabbed but whatever.
On the Higher C you upstroke the open low C's are downstrokes and the c# is a down stroke

Epic failure at tabbing while playing air guitar. (Grave Yard Deciples)

extremely off topic, but whats that randall rg sound like? are they any good?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Ahh, thanks for the advice guys
I'll keep practicing

And yes...Apex IS an awesome song to play \m/
I used to get this all the time,its perfectly normal

It can be caused by a mixture of things:
First off be sure to warm up for a min of 5-10 mins,just strum some chords,play scales,easy nirvana riffs,etc etc

Bad technique in your picking hand(not implying you have bad tech) but changing the angle of your wrist/hand could enable you to keep up at that speed for longer.

When you experience pain...STOP!!!!! this isn't weightlifting,you can cause incredible damage to your tendons and joints,just take a small break and come back.

It can also be a matter of your ability to play for long lengths of time,a lot of guitarists experience this when they go to record or play live because they are not used to constant playing. Practice at least half an hour a day,taking a week or two break will mean you have to go over the basics once you return to a schedule just to get back to grips with your axe.

These are a few of the things which could be causing it,hope it helps and be sure to post back if you have any more problems.
Quote by weorge
i just knew this forum would be full of masterbation jokes, ahh pit you never fail to dissapoint me, so damn predictable :>

This isn't the pit.
Quote by paintballcrazy7
extremely off topic, but whats that randall rg sound like? are they any good?

It's a love hate thing. They're pretty rare amps aparently. The 180 anyways. Ive only seen 3 on the internet including mine, One of them was on here.

The Distortion isnt really nice. Clean is nice though, I use it as a vocal amp.

EXETREMLY LOUD
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Feb 16, 2009,
best advice i can give you: DO NOT HOLD YOUR PICK TOO TIGHT

the problem (for me atleast) is a fear of the pick going flying outta my hands as i pick faster,

so you make sure you're picking as shallow as you can, and just BARELY hold on to your pick.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
best advice i can give you: DO NOT HOLD YOUR PICK TOO TIGHT

the problem (for me atleast) is a fear of the pick going flying outta my hands as i pick faster,

so you make sure you're picking as shallow as you can, and just BARELY hold on to your pick.

Thats actually helping a lot
Thanks much ^-^
Everyone knows this exercise by now...

---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
-------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------

Go back up it... then restart from next fret...

---------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5
-----------------------------------------2-3-4-5----------
-------------------------------2-3-4-5--------------------
---------------------2-3-4-5------------------------------
-----------2-3-4-5----------------------------------------
-2-3-4-5--------------------------------------------------

Go back up it then next fret, then so on...

Practice this, going as far up the fretboard as you can, always alternate picking (down, up, down, up) and then try string skipping. Do this for about 10 minutes or until your wrists become comfortable. Always works for me.
one thing i noticed a few years back when i was getting into some shred stuff that my wrist would do the same thing...

I found it was a lot easier to tense of your wrist and get that quick side to side motion with it, and could do it much faster this way... But in the long run keeping your muscles and wrist relax and not letting it tense up takes some practice but definately helps in the longer run
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial