Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone, after about 3 years of gigging with a full band, I have recently secured my first acoustic gig with only covers, on 25th February. I've been working on some acoustic songs (just me and a guitar, but featuring a friend on one song) and I wanted to know if my setlist will be any good.

In my opinion, its a little generic, but the majority of the songs are played for other people, who will be coming to the gig to watch me.

What do you think?
(In order of playing, please feel free to comment on this too, with alternative suggestions)

-Greenday- Time of your life (for my brother, his all time favourite song)
-Lifehouse- You and Me
-Kings of Leon- Cold Desert (for a friend, the guitarist in my main band)
-Jack Johnson- Banana Pancakes (to lighten the mood after KoL, plus my girlfriends favourite song for me to play to her)
-Stephen Fretwell- Run
-Jason Mraz- I'm Yours (I play ukulele on this one, while my friend plays guitar)
-Death Cab for Cutie- I Will Follow You Into the Dark- (Another of my girls favourite songs)
-Coldplay- Viva la Vida (to appeal to a wider audience, which there is likely to be)
-Damien Rice- Cannonball (my ending song, I've been told I sing it well, so its the last in my set, as it should leave a good impression of the overall performance)

So, ideas?

Thanks a lot guys,
Stud
sounds pretty good except viva la vida. coldplay totally ripped off joe satriani on that one. id cut that song. maybe try thunder by boys like girls too. simple and chicks dig it.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by paintballcrazy7
sounds pretty good except viva la vida. coldplay totally ripped off joe satriani on that one. id cut that song. maybe try thunder by boys like girls too. simple and chicks dig it.

So if a song sounds like another song he shouldn't play it?
yeah i agree with paintball crazy also you could try working in jumper by third eye blind its a crowd favorite or wonderwall by oasis chicks dig that
Quote by paintballcrazy7

Anyway, check out Boyce Avenue on youtube, they've done tons of acoustic covers, stuff like Ne-Yo, Chris Brown etc. Might give you some ideas.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
get some simon and garfunkel in there. everyone loves a bit of sound of silence or mrs. robinson.
symbol in my driveway by jack johnson is awesome
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Time for Heroes - The Libertines

edit: and hey joe or all along the watchtower
Quote by mfkr

Anyway, check out Boyce Avenue on youtube, they've done tons of acoustic covers, stuff like Ne-Yo, Chris Brown etc. Might give you some ideas.

yeah man, Boyce Avenue, those guys are great

as for the topic of songs, thats a pretty damn good set list mate, me and my mate play a lot of the songs that you have on there haha, maybe i'f you're feeling up to it, do a cover of 'hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley/John Cale/Rufus Wainright (they all did the song at some point) lol

edit: to masterp666, wasnt mrs.robinson by the monkees? or am i totally mistaken? haha
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Feb 16, 2009,
Try to work in some Sublime...Maybe Santeria?...Everyone loves that. Jumper is always a favorite...Maybe do some Weezer...Island in the Sun?...Say It Ain't So?
"I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."

^^yeah, i was gonna do halleluyah, but i was advised against it

but thanks to everyone for you're advice, im in the process of learning thunder and jumper now.
And to mfkr, Boyce Avenue were my inspiration to do viva la vida anyway, but again, got advised not to use the kick drum, like he does.

EDIT: As i'm learning jumper, just struck me that this is the song that Jim Carrey sings to the guy who's about to commit suicide in Yes Man, haha...
Last edited by Stud_Muffin at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
yeah man, Boyce Avenue, those guys are great

as for the topic of songs, thats a pretty damn good set list mate, me and my mate play a lot of the songs that you have on there haha, maybe i'f you're feeling up to it, do a cover of 'hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley/John Cale/Rufus Wainright (they all did the song at some point) lol

edit: to masterp666, wasnt mrs.robinson by the monkees? or am i totally mistaken? haha

no, that is definitely simon and garfunkel. thus the relation between that song and the movie 'the graduate'. watch it if you haven't seen it, its decent, and it was what propelled s&g to fame.
Wow that the first time I've seen a acoustic cover list without creep on it.

Edit: I think you should do Wish you were here by pink floyd, great acoustic song.
Last edited by Malchius at Feb 16, 2009,
One that sounds nice is Hey Ya Acoustic Cover by Obadiah Parker, it's the song by Outkast covered with an acoustic guitar, sounds really nice if you sing with it.
Quote by masterp666
no, that is definitely simon and garfunkel. thus the relation between that song and the movie 'the graduate'. watch it if you haven't seen it, its decent, and it was what propelled s&g to fame.

oh right, just i have track titled mrs'robinson thats accredited to the monkees, i'll have to change that haha
and cool, i may check the graduate out at some point
What kind of audience will you be playing?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Hey great setlist dude. Keep the Viva La Vida song, it will go down well. I know it sounds similar to Satriani, but lets face it - it's not the most original melody in the world.

You may want to consider moving one of your more upbeat songs like "Time of Your Life" or "I'm Yours" to the final song of the night. You'll want to end your set with a more upbeat, faster song than Cannonball, leaving the audience with a happy feeling and wanting more. Cannonball is a great song though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alice in Chains anyone? If you can sing (which it looks like you can), go for Nutshell.
I played "Beauty In The Breakdown" by The Scene Aesthetic at an open mic night recently, and it went over pretty well. I know they have 2 guitars in the recorded version, but live they only use one. Check it out, it's a pretty fun song. And if you can manage to re-work the vocals a bit (uses 2 vocalists), it'll sound good.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
but thanks to everyone for you're advice, im in the process of learning thunder and jumper now.

Thunder is three chords! The same ones, in the same pattern, all the freakin' way through! And it's not like the lyrics are that difficult...sorry to be a bit harsh, but you don't have to be a genius to learn it in a day or two. Girls do freak out when you play it.I'd say it's one of the better "get laid" songs I know, but I fail at life, so...
Quote by godisasniper
Thunder is three chords! The same ones, in the same pattern, all the freakin' way through! And it's not like the lyrics are that difficult...sorry to be a bit harsh, but you don't have to be a genius to learn it in a day or two. Girls do freak out when you play it.I'd say it's one of the better "get laid" songs I know, but I fail at life, so...

It's actually 4.
Good call on doing Cannonball, it's a really dramatic song and it'll be a great ending
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Other than the suggestions posted above, how about Blackbird by the Beatles?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Unless you're trying to get laid / the audience is 80% girls i would drop You and Me. I find it really boring and such a cliché song. Replace it with Bruce Springsteen - The River

Just my opinion of course
Last Night I Fell In Love--Motion City Soundtrack instead of Viva La Vida
Get a chick singer and do Rivendell (I know geddy isn't a chick but he's got the pipes of one ) by Rush and The battle of Evermore by Zeppelin
[font="Comic Sans MS]Serenity by Godsmack. Slow, easy, and with beautiful lyrics
kryptonite by "3 doors down" or Crazy train by"ozzy" both are really simple an are loved by everyone. Girls love kryptonite
Your list is pretty good, but you should definately fit some Working Class Hero by John Lennon in there. It's easy, fun, and a good solo acoustic song.
Touch, Peel, And Stand by Days Of The New.

Do it nao.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Dumb by Nirvana or Patience by Guns N Roses, Polly is another good one by nirvana, but the lyrics are kinda dirty
I would suggest changing I'll follow you into the dark to Lack of Colour, another great song by Death Cab. I will follow you into the dark is a good song but it's just been played too much by people who just want a song to get them laid, whereas Lack of Colour is a similar style but much less (for want of a better word) cliche.
I normally do these as staples when I play solo acoustic...among others of course.

Black Hole Sun
Nutshell
Lonely No More
One
Black
I am The Highway
Poker Face
Time After Time
Viva La Vida
Doesn't Remind Me
Patience

Then there's Tom Petty, The Trews, Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc...etc...etc...
Just learn a whack of songs so you can take requests...
Page 1 of 2