Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
eddie didnt use theory at all

Well, not intentionally if that's what you're trying to say.
If I want to get an Eddie sound I ussually use Dorian, it's minor but has a happy feel to it. Nice for van Halen riffs.
For solo's he was just wanking around and pulling of to empty strings at random.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
I remember a lesson from Guitar One a few years back that talked about an "EVH scale," which is just this:

|-----------------------------------------------12-14-15-|
|--------------------------------------12-14-15----------|
|-----------------------------12-14-15-------------------|
|--------------------12-14-15----------------------------|
|-----------12-14-15-------------------------------------|
|--12-14-15----------------------------------------------|

It's not really a scale, unless you wanted to say that it's an artificial scale which has different tonalities in different octaves, and scales like that do exist. EVH certainly wasn't thinking about that, though.
Playing like Eddie involves a lot more than a scale.
There's a lot of "outside-the-box" techniques and note choices that are vital to his playing style.
Listen to Alan Holdsworth--Eddie has mentioned him as being a major influence on his playing, once saying he was "the best in my book".
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Eddie was all about pentatonic/blues scales and a lot of his fast runs were built on simple symmetrical fingering patterns like the "scale" that Holy Katana posted up there. He might play that in E, and he might also play a shape like 11-12-14 across every string in E as well.

Of course, this stuff is just a tiny speck of his technique, his sound is far more about the way in which he used these notes, but knowing this can be a nice springboard to some Eddie licks.
Last edited by Metalhead_28 at Feb 16, 2009,
Eddie van halen definitely knows his ****. To be honest there are hardly ANY VH solo's that feature ONLY minor pentatonic, or even songs.

He uses so much substitution's and modulations and chormatics.

Take The Jump solo for instance; The solo is a modulation to the rest of the song, and he follows the bass (implied harmony) just right.

Running with the devil = also modulating WITHIN the solo and song itself.

The intro lick of hot for teacher = 4 bars long or something and features 3 different scale ideas. Following the chords in a non standard fashion.

You have to work with chord tones, if ur the only guitarist, and you don't have any other instruments that play major harmonic roles (like a 2nd guitarplayer or synthplayer), cause else ur solo's won't stand out much.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 17, 2009,
EVH was taught piano lessons. He knew theory. He wouldn't say he did though, because knowing theory is so uncool. It's WAYYY cooler to say you play with em0shunz and C0Ka1ne. Seriously, I wouldn't trust the words of a 70's/80's guitarist. If they say they know theory, they actually don't. If they say they don't know theory, chances are they do.

To T/S
Wank some pentatonics. Instant Eddie sound. No, you don't need any other scale apart from pentatonics (with accidentals or major scale knowledge ofcourse) to solo.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.