Page 1 of 3
This is my list...i will do what i think are the top 10 and you can present yours or criticize mine for sucking...whatever floats your boat.

1) Deep Purple
2) Dire Straits
3) Kansas
4) The Band
5) John Mayer - more as a guitarist than a band but still very underrated
6) Grand Funk Railroad
7) REM
8) The Yardbirds
9) The Byrds
10) J. Geils Band

it got tough there at the end but this is my list
1. The Refreshments
2. Ugly Kid Joe
3. Dream Theater
4. Savatage
5. Badlands
6. Cry Of Love
7. Extreme
8. Skid Row
9. Shooting Star
10. Alice In Chains
11. XYZ
12. Wolfmother
Quote by 21wickwing
This is my list...i will do what i think are the top 10 and you can present yours or criticize mine for sucking...whatever floats your boat.

1) Deep Purple
2) Dire Straits
3) Kansas
4) The Band
5) John Mayer - more as a guitarist than a band but still very underrated
6) Grand Funk Railroad
7) REM
8) The Yardbirds
9) The Byrds
10) J. Geils Band

it got tough there at the end but this is my list

I love John Mayer but think he gets the respect he deserves... He is pretty much considered the best guitarist of this era.

And The Band, R.E.M., The Yardbirds, and the Byrds are all in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Nice musical tastes thought btw... I like most all of those bands.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
its definitely metallica the most underrated band of all time
Last edited by i like soad at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by DownInAHole.
"No commercial potential."

Lol.

haha nice touch!

whats got inta ya?
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by TDMize15
I love John Mayer but think he gets the respect he deserves... He is pretty much considered the best guitarist of this era.

That would be quite unfortunate... I don't know anyone who thinks that, though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by i like soad
its definitely metallica the most underrated band of all time

no, im gonna disagree with you.

grand funk railroad is by far the most underrated band ever.

their insanely great.

metalica gets all the respect they deserve.
Damn Yankees?
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
Quote by psychodelia
That would be quite unfortunate... I don't know anyone who thinks that, though.

And he gets mad respect in the music world as he has played on Clapton albums, at his Crossroads Festival... played on Herbie Hancock albums... played with B.B. King and Buddy Guy at the Grammys...

Ya...
Last edited by TDMize15 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by classicguy
i think john mayer is overrated..

agreed. derek trucks should be front and center.
Quote by TDMize15
And he gets mad respect in the music world as he has played on Clapton albums, at his Crossroads Festival... played on Herbie Hancock albums... played with B.B. King and Buddy Guy at the Grammys...

Ya...

I meant personally, you silly bumpkin. (Forgive me for not checking with Rolling Stone, though )

Sure, he can play all right, but it's the same bluesy stuff that's been played before. I'd just prefer the anointed "best guitarist of this era" to be doing something a bit more... relevant. To have his own sound, at least. I don't see anything particularly distinctive about Mayer.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
I meant personally, you silly bumpkin. (Forgive me for not checking with Rolling Stone, though )

Sure, he can play all right, but it's the same bluesy stuff that's been played before. I'd just prefer the anointed "best guitarist of this era" to be doing something a bit more... relevant. To have his own sound, at least. I don't see anything particularly distinctive about Mayer.

I can see this.

My point was just that I didn't think John Mayer was underrated as the OP said lol.

Because he gets A LOT of credit for being a good guitarist. (Which I happen to agree with).
normally threads get closed for a reason and on the proviso not to reopen/rethread them.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Siam............???
(so underrated .............)

Blue murder....................If only they`d a decent uk publicist.....

Siam...............you`ve never heard of them they were that underrated....
Quote by classicguy
with grand funk railroad right next to him.

grand funk is insane man.
just watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVZdF5OnSs

and tell me that the drummer isnt amazing.

dude the drummer is sick, i remember hearing one of their songs and it had this killer drum solo, we trippin out listenin to that shiznit....twas the bomb.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
dude the drummer is sick, i remember hearing one of their songs and it had this killer drum solo, we trippin out listenin to that shiznit....twas the bomb.

he just bashes his headinto the drum. thats so crazy!
along with Iron Butterfly who has sum great albums like Heavy, and In A Gadda Da Vida i would have to say Traffic too
Quote by classicguy
i think john mayer is overrated..

Agreed, especially when you consider that half his catalog was written by his childhood friend Clay Cook (a way better musician in my opinion, though he's a mandolin player). That and he's kind of an ass in interviews...very full of himself, which is not at all flattering on a musician of any stripe in my opinion.
don't mean to thread jack, but on the topic of The Band, during "The Weight" does Levon say:
"Take a load off Annie" and "Get packing miss Annie"
or
"take a load off Fanny" and "Get packing Miss Fanny"

i keep getting different answers from different lyrical sites.

/off topic inquiry

back on topic:
Bob Seger, Bachman Turner Overdrive (there's more than "Taking care of business", you know!), The Guess Who (there's more than "American Woman, too!), Mountain, Nazareth, Steppenwolf, Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes, Free, Trooper, April Wine....

i could go on forever.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Feb 23, 2009,
Traffic all the way.

Great band.
Camel, great, great prog band and completely overlooked and underated
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
Quote by Whiskey Tango
1. The Refreshments
2. Ugly Kid Joe
3. Dream Theater
4. Savatage
5. Badlands
6. Cry Of Love
7. Extreme
8. Skid Row
9. Shooting Star
10. Alice In Chains
11. XYZ
12. Wolfmother

I wouldn't exactly say that AiC is underrated. At least back in my hometown, when I listened to the radio I would hear them pretty often. Not too much, but enough. Although they don't have too many of their songs played. And my fav station has a parody of the NCAA tournament that they call "MMarch Madness" (the station is WMMR) and AiC always does pretty well in the '90s bracket.

It's really nice to see Savatage on your list, though. I don't know of many people who listen to, much less have even ever heard of, them and I think that it's a shame, although Guitar World recently released an issue that had an article on Criss Olivia, so hopefully that gets them some publicity. Fun fact for those who don't know: A few years after their lead guitarist died in an accident, they broke up and reformed as Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Little Feat
The Band
ZZ Top
Strawberry Alarm Clock
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Page 1 of 3