Iam having problems with my guitar, normally I have no trouble making a pinch harmonic but it wont make them at times. It happens after i adjust the contour so I thought it was the amp but I tryed my guitar on a different one and it still wouldnt, I tryed a different guitar on both amps and it worked. When this happens it normally goes on for a day or so then my harmonics come back. I think it has something to do with my pickup connection but im not sure...any explanations why my pinch harmonics wont work on my guitar and how would i go abot fixing it, thanks.
Rolling on more treble at your guitar and amp, and more gain at your amp, will help you.

You might just need more practice.

Also, there'll be 'sweet' spots where it'll be easier to pinch, depending on where the string is lying, distance from fretboard, etc, which is all affected by action level, playing style, and neck gradient, so...try playing around 'til you find somewhere it's easy to play them. I usually find that the 3rd fret of the 6th string is easy to pull them off, especially in lower tunings. Maybe that's just my style, my guitars...I dunno. Other people say they're easier to play at the treble end, but I find it more difficult with skinny strings.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Feb 16, 2009,
it could be that the action is too low, not allowing the strings to vibrate freely enough for harmonics to ring out.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
maybe technique, also try adding more gain, presence, and treble. i would doubt it would be something with the pickup connection unless you have active pickups and the battery is dying or something like that.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
I know its not technique I can pull them off easy, immediately after turning the contour knob they stop. I tryed my friends guitar on my amp to make sure it wasnt the problem which it wasnt. I tryed my guitar on his amp and did it no problem, its not my settings ive tryed. It has to be something in my guitar because ive never had this problem untill my volume knob was replaced with another.btw pickups are passive seymours. No one can do them who also have no problem with it then all of the sudden they come back and everybody and i can do them again on any sting any fret...wtf?
Last edited by Nate52761 at Feb 16, 2009,
Yes, it's technique - it's got nothing to do with the amp or the guitar.

You're just not good enough at consistently hitting the nodes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
explain why none of friends or teacher cant then who have no problems with that?Once they come back i will record myself hitting a harmonic on every note an string then adjust my contour which i have no idea why and turn it back
Last edited by Nate52761 at Feb 18, 2009,
Adjusting the controls on your amp is not goint to affect your guitar in anyway whatsoever. Your problem is inconsistent technique, you've just latched on to something that coincidentally happened at the same time because subconsciously you want there to be a quick fix for this and there isn't one.

Harmonics do not periodically fall out of a guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well im not gonna get pissy over it, im gonna have my teacher look in it today when I go to lessons and report back. Ive never had problems with pinch harmonics but ill consider what your saying and keep trying.
Well i can do them on my cheap guitar and my teachers guitar, maybe its just harder to do them on my main one. I dont see how you getting harmonics on your cheap guitar affects why i cant on my main, i thought different guitars respond differently in most things including pinch harmonics.
Ok turns out its my pickups, when i flick the selector switch a couple times my pinch harmonics come out clear, what does that mean and what should i do?
Last edited by Nate52761 at Mar 5, 2009,