First, yes i did read the sticky. :P

anyway, i've got an old Peavey Deuce VT series amp. It has an SS preamp and four 6L6GC tubes in the poweramp section. Now, for a 120watt amp with 2 speakers, this sucker is relatively quiet and the tubes are looking rather nasty, so i've decided that I want to look into doing a tube upgrade.

now, i understand that Tung-sols are meant more for a fendery sort of clean, and JJ's are darker. The amp itself is currently on the darker side, so if i wanted to keep basically that same sort of sound, would i go with JJ's? for example, would these be good?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The way i see it, if the amp is dark already and you like that than JJ's would probably be good, although be careful you don't want it to be too dark

now if you want it brighter than Tungsol's would better, they would balance each other out more
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
The way i see it, if the amp is dark already and you like that than JJ's would probably be good, although be careful you don't want it to be too dark

now if you want it brighter than Tungsol's would better, they would balance each other out more

that's what i'm afraid of. i'm also afraid that i will essentially get a second fender. i already have a HRD sitting right next the the peavey, so i want to peavey to still sound distinctly peavey.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
that's what i'm afraid of. i'm also afraid that i will essentially get a second fender. i already have a HRD sitting right next the the peavey, so i want to peavey to still sound distinctly peavey.

haha i see what you mean, well than maybe go with something more neutral, but still high quality?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
haha i see what you mean, well than maybe go with something more neutral, but still high quality?

would that be something like EHX tubes?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The JJs are probably what you want. Their 6l6s are dark, but not to the extent that their preamp tubes and EL34s are.
Do not, Do NOT order tubes from parts-express. They don't test their tubes and it looks like they don't even match them. Better choices are, in order of my preference:
KCANOStubes.com
Tubedepot.com
dougstubes.com
thetubestore.com
Quote by bored_maniac33
would that be something like EHX tubes?

yeah that was my first thought, let me check the thread again lol

yeah out of the ones on the thread, it seems the EHX would probably fit the best because their "a tad" dark, which probably means less dark than JJ's and still dark
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Roc8995
The JJs are probably what you want. Their 6l6s are dark, but not to the extent that their preamp tubes and EL34s are.
Do not, Do NOT order tubes from parts-express. They don't test their tubes and it looks like they don't even match them. Better choices are, in order of my preference:
KCANOStubes.com
Tubedepot.com
dougstubes.com
thetubestore.com

hey man just wanted to thank you for your that thread, it is really helpful

i think i'm going with JJ 6L6's in my JCM 900, would the JJ 12Ax7's be too dark?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
An all-JJ set should be fine in a 900. You might have to compensate with some extra treble + presence when playing at high volume with lots of gain, but it shouldn't get too muddy. You've got some brighter and punchier guitars as well, which will help.
Quote by Roc8995
An all-JJ set should be fine in a 900. You might have to compensate with some extra treble + presence when playing at high volume with lots of gain, but it shouldn't get too muddy. You've got some brighter and punchier guitars as well, which will help.

yeah i've heard the 900 is pretty dam bright as is, so i figured JJ's would be a good fit
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
ok, so would this be what i was looking for then? that's not a bad price. i would only need 4 so i would only have to spend $60
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, so would this be what i was looking for then? that's not a bad price. i would only need 4 so i would only have to spend $60

according to Colin that seems like the best option, also i've already checked and tubedepot has the best price
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
according to Colin that seems like the best option, also i've already checked and tubedepot has the best price

cool, thanks!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional