well im very set on getting an 8 string guitar. but i really dont want and i wont use that low F# so i will hopefully be tuning it BEADGBEA. I plan on getting the ESP FM-418. it has a 25.5" scale which should help the higher tuning. i would be using a set of standard 10s for a seven string plus an 8 for the highest string. so does anyone thing that that would cause problems with the bridge or the nut? i dont want the smaller string rattling around. also does the .08 seem like it would break really easily? also i cant find any specs for the neck of the esp and i want to compare it to the ibanez 8 string. anyone have any idea where i could get some?
that high A might break easily
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
hmm, a 0.08 tuned to a high A might be very tight and prone to snapping. maybe you should just get a 7 string? but if you say you're that set on an 8, that wont change anything. but to me, that high seems a little pointless.
I think a .08 might break there. Might wanna try a .07 or eeeven a .06 (if you can find one), but probably best to set it up with a .08 and work down if it doesn't work.

The smaller string shouldn't rattle around in the nut, because of the tension applied. I know some people have filed down their nut to fit a .80 as a low F#/F, but you shouldn't need worry about that if you're not planning on using it.

You can get a custom nut made up for you when you find what gauge you wanna use though.
I agree that the .008 will probably be too delicate in standard tuning.

Something you could do with a string that gauge is tune the guitar down one step.

At that tuning (G) the string will be plenty durable, so long as you can deal with the guitar being tuned a step lower.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i was considering tuning it all down a half step or so just to release some of that tension ADGCFADG maybe the high G wouldnt be as prone to breaking. i know chris letchford from scale the summit uses a .08 for his high G and that seems to work. and to make sure im not mistaken a 25.5" scale would be better for this higher tuning than the longer 27" available correct?
Word on the scale length.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i thought about tuning to all fourths too. but that would require a lot of playing around and ive heard it said that it couldnt be done well without a fanned fret system.
Quote by luffy 747
i was considering tuning it all down a half step or so just to release some of that tension ADGCFADG maybe the high G wouldnt be as prone to breaking. i know chris letchford from scale the summit uses a .08 for his high G and that seems to work. and to make sure im not mistaken a 25.5" scale would be better for this higher tuning than the longer 27" available correct?

Yeah. 27" is a baritone scale, useful for tuning down, not up.
has anyone been able to find any esp neck dimensions? ive been checking everywhere and they arent on their website. someone mentioned having to call ESP to get them. is that the only option?
I'd consider tuning to standard, up two half steps.

Anyways, look for banjo strings for your highest string, those might be slim enough to have a 'normal' amount of tension.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Most people with eight stings that tune their low string to B instead of F# usually have their high string tuned to G not A. That may help with the tension.
yea i know some do that but i think that minor third might throw me off. but once i get it i can play around with the setup and see what i find to my liking. keeping it in a mostly standard tuning would be helpful. and just lowering it a whole step if i dont like that should really require much of a truss rod adjustment.
PM TheShred201. He knows a website that sells strings suited for that kind of thing.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
There is a member on SS.org selling .05 gauge strings specifically for the high A.

You might consider the gary Kramer 7 string with 36 frets. It would have the same range.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i tried this in my schecter damien elite8 and the ****ing string broke before getting it anywhere near up to tension, just get a 7 dude, an 8 string is a pain in the ass, whether high or low you will get buzz or snapping.
I've done a high A at 27" on my RG2228 with a D'Addario .007. However, due to the hardware the only weak point was the tuner; it was as optimal as one could get. I accidentally tuned it up and snapped it at the tuner, and I didn't dare go past a quarter-step bend. 25.5" might be possible with a standard .007 for A, but it's going to be quite precarious, especially if you have a string-through body. It won't be terribly flexible and you'll probably snap it. The best bet you'll have is getting an Octave4Plus string.

You could always tune up to G instead of A, having a minor third interval between the E and G. It's really useful for chording and you'll have very few problems at that scale length with a .007.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221