Now I've seen ALOT of different Marshall heads (JVM, JCM, etc.) and I wanna know which ones are like the modern hard rock heads? Which ones would you guys recommend? Are their any Mesa-sounding Marshalls?
Ibanez RG3EXQM1 (Drop D/Standard)
Paul Reed Smith Custom SE Semi-Hollow (Drop B, A#)
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Crybaby From Hell > MXR Phase 90 > Sansamp GT2 > Boss DD-3 > Boss BF-3
Why does no one ever read the stickies?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
does it have to be a Marshall
gimme a budget and the styles that you play and i can recommend you a good amp.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by ChrisCutler
Are their any Mesa-sounding Marshalls?

No. Mesa = American voiced (except for the Stiletto, which is based on a Marshall). Marshall = British voiced.

Mesa are best for very clean cleans and uber high gain. Marshalls are best for everything in between.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by ChrisCutler
Now I've seen ALOT of different Marshall heads (JVM, JCM, etc.) and I wanna know which ones are like the modern hard rock heads? Which ones would you guys recommend? Are their any Mesa-sounding Marshalls?

Buy a Mesa.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
does it have to be a Marshall
gimme a budget and the styles that you play and i can recommend you a good amp.........

My style is very broad. I'm influenced by Chevelle, Tool, A7X, KSE, Red, Staind, etc..
I was originally thinking about a Dual Rec but I don't know..

BTW Thanks for the chart man! A JCM 900 looks pretty good.
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Crybaby From Hell > MXR Phase 90 > Sansamp GT2 > Boss DD-3 > Boss BF-3
Last edited by ChrisCutler at Feb 16, 2009,
a JCM 900 would be the best thing probably for modern hard rock, and is a competitor to the Dual Rec of sorts.

For instance Tom Delonge back in his Blink days (pysched for the Reunion! lol) used a 900 and a Dual Rec interchangeably
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Price difference? I know the Dual Rec's are about $1800 + for me cause I'm canadian..
Marshall MG50DFX
Quote by ChrisCutler
My style is very broad. I'm influenced by Chevelle, Tool, A7X, KSE, Red, Staind, etc..
I was originally thinking about a Dual Rec but I don't know..

BTW Thanks for the chart man! A JCM 900 looks pretty good.

Yeah, a JCM900 sounds like what you want. Maybe with an OD for the very high gain.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by bigfoamfinger
LOL I love how the MG is practically ALL in RED

It's as if UG wrote that table.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
It's as if UG wrote that table.

I'm pretty sure that Gabe did.
It's a little harsh on the Mode Four IMO, but then again I'm the only one (apart from John 5) who likes them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Horlicks
I'm pretty sure that Gabe did.

nope, it was Gutch
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Tell me about it. I DESPISE my MG..

What about the JVMs? They aren't on there.
Marshall MG50DFX
Quote by shadow__666
No. Mesa = American voiced (except for the Stiletto, which is based on a Marshall). Marshall = British voiced.

Mesa are best for very clean cleans and uber high gain. Marshalls are best for everything in between.

I don't know about that the JVMs can get a pretty heavy amount of gain. It sounds pretty decent too, but it really takes some time to sit down with it. I could never quite get the tones that I liked out of it (too many f-ing knobs), but I've heard some people make it sound amazing. Neal Schon uses them currently and he has always had great tone.

To the TS; if you want a Mesa, get a Mesa, it's not like a high end Marshall is really going to be cheaper anyway.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 16, 2009,
True that. Road king has 4 channels too..
Marshall MG50DFX
Quote by shadow__666

+1
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
So maybe a JCM 900 with a good quality tube gain pedal? My sansamp isn't tube driven but I'm sure it would good in a rig with a JCM 900
Marshall MG50DFX
Probably not. The Sansamp is a distortion pedal that you would use on the clean channel, not to boost the gain. The 900 has plenty of distortion, it just may need a boost for uber-high gain metal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by acdclandon
nope, it was Gutch

Gutch put it together, but the info was sourced from a variety of sources. Gabe being one of them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Gutch put it together, but the info was sourced from a variety of sources. Gabe being one of them.

ah okay, thanks for the clarification

oh and yeah i would just recommend just a straight 900 i don't think you'll need a tube driven pedal
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Oh ok, yea, I don't want that uber-high stuff. Slipknot would be the highest gain I'd ever use.

Oh and Shadows, Pete Loeffler (Chevelle) uses his GT2 to boost his gain, but its only when he wants lots of feedback. Its only in a couple songs.
Marshall MG50DFX