It seems, like the more I practice Master of Puppets the worse I get a it...

Am I just practicing wrong or is this normal?
You're probably becoming more aware of little things you are doing wrong that you didnt notice before. you just need to slow it downw it down and practise until you have it perfect.
If you keep making the same mistakes when you practice I guess muscle memory will eventually kick in and your hands will learn the mistakes. Have you tried slowing it down to a speed you can play it accurately, and practicing it at that speed?
It may also be mental. I find I play alot better when it is something I want to play, and if I don't for whatever reason (*cough* women *cough*) then it comes out like garbage.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
^ +1 (to practice makes permanent, not perfect) also i've met a lot of guitarists and many of them blew me away but none of them were "perfect" we all have a screw up here and there, nobodys perfect.

there could be several things going on here. you may have learned it wrong and are becoming more attuned to the inaccuracies in your playing. try playing it slower. also (and this happens to me from time to time) if i sit down and try to practice the same thing for hours and hours i start off decent and then after a while it starts sounding worse and worse, probably because im zoning out and not paying enough attention. if you sound fine initially and over a long period of time it starts sounding worse then just take a break. in fact i recommend when practicing, 5 minute breaks every 20 to 30 minutes. this is how i practice and stuff seems to stick a little better when i do it like this.
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny

there could be several things going on here. you may have learned it wrong and are becoming more attuned to the inaccuracies in your playing. try playing it slower. also (and this happens to me from time to time) if i sit down and try to practice the same thing for hours and hours i start off decent and then after a while it starts sounding worse and worse, probably because im zoning out and not paying enough attention. if you sound fine initially and over a long period of time it starts sounding worse then just take a break. in fact i recommend when practicing, 5 minute breaks every 20 to 30 minutes. this is how i practice and stuff seems to stick a little better when i do it like this.

I find that you just lose interest in the song if you spend too much time on it. When I was learning the Mr Crowley solo I just got sick of the song. After that I was worried that I would lose my love for the Ozz-man so I started dwelving into more AC/DC and UFO kind of stuff. After a few weeks I tried Crowley again and it was much easier and I managed to learn the rest of it up to speed and cleanly in just under a week.

Morale of my story? Sometimes just splurging over one song isn't a good thing. It takes the fun out of your playing and you definantly don't want that to happen. Sometimes if you go back to the basics (in your case down picking I guess) you'll find that more complex stuff is easier once you strengthen the foundations. I would try playing some other songs that are easier to downpick such as:

You've Got Another Thing Comin - Judas Priest

Make sure you're getting your timing and everything right, make your chugs real solid and in no time you'll be riding the MoP train right into metalsville.