Page 1 of 3
I am bored. If this thread is pointless, who cares.

I was just wondering, what made you guys realize what a truly good tone is?

I found out what is truly good after being in the process of tabbing a song. I was playing unplugged in front of my computer and was typing into Notepad. I was doing really well tabbing it, then I decided to go see how it sounds through an amp. I was playing it, and realized that my amp doesn't sound anything like what I heard in the song. I realized that with every other song I knew, and then realized my MG sucks.

What made you guys find out what a real tone is? I am just curious.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 16, 2009,
Everyone has a different idea of what real tone is. For instance, I love fuzz and distortion being blended together. Not many others do.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I actuallt listened to the little movies in my head,
and picked out "the tone in my head"
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Classical guitar playing made me realise just how important a change playing at different points on the string can affect tone.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
when i listened to Echoes for the first time
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Hmm, well I started out with a line 6 spider, so obviously I didn't start out too great.

I think when my other guitar player bought a crate fw 212 (which isn't really all that great of an amp anyways) I realized how far good tone can go.
Then playing various amps at music stores (especially an Orange Thunderverb and a 6505+) plus knowledge from UG gave me the whole GAS for good tone.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
When I kept playing my Line 6 Spider II 30 and realizing that no matter what it wouldn't sound good, even clean.
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
When I took my EQ pedal off my Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
When I realised I was playing METAL through a FENDER Frontman, not good.

Metal tone =/= Fender Frontman
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

i'm not totally sure. i remember once a few years ago i tried some tube amps, a blues junior and a few others, as a potential step up from my old spider. at this point i didn't like the tube amps any more. then more recently i tried some tube amps again and immediately noticed how much better they sounded than my spider.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
when i realized that you dont need to buy the amp that has the same brand as your guitar to give you a better tone and you dont need to buy the same gear that your idol uses.......

dont get it???
lemme elaborate
i got a STARcaster+sp10 as my starter gear
then after a year i want a new guitar........... i bought an Epi Les Paul, because of my noobishnes i could have settled for a DKMG but NOOOO i said to the seller "EWWW it doesn't have the shape that slash's guitar has and its USED" and then he told me "well what styles of music do you play?" i said metal and he said that the Jackson is a metal guitar but i kept on refusing it..............

then i got a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.......(pretty good actually)
then the amp....
i was looking at some beginner amps (mainly the cube) then i saw a box that has the picture of an amp with the word EPIPHONE on it. i quickly rushed to the box and told my mom "look this think has EPIPHONE on it like my guitar, i gues this thing only sounds good with my guitar because it's the same brand" (WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!)
then me and my mom bought all of the stuff(I DIDN'T try out the Epi) and the seller said that would i like to buy some effects.......... i said "why all amps have the effects built in on them"......... when i said that the only amps i ever played was the sp10 and the cube.......

then after another year i got my Blackheart........... after that i only used the Epi studio 15 as a door stop and a foot rest.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
When I put on my Paranoid vinyl and listened to Hand of Doom.
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't know. I figure the wall of Engl amps at the local music store had something to do with it.

+1

just generally trying high end gear, you don't really notice it at the time, but then you go back to your own stuff and you're like o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^I find it's even worse with guitars. A sh*tty amp I can deal with, but a guitar that doesn't play right is sheer horror for me.

I got a little spoiled since I bought my strat I guess.
Quote by Sguit
when I played on something else then my MG

This ^^

No but really, when ever I can find the point where I have just enough low and just enough high.
Ibanez RG3EXQM1 (Drop D/Standard)
Paul Reed Smith Custom SE Semi-Hollow (Drop B, A#)
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Crybaby From Hell > MXR Phase 90 > Sansamp GT2 > Boss DD-3 > Boss BF-3
It took me awhile to find out what a good tone is.

Once again, it came over time. My mind saw (or heard) the light.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
When i played the Fender Twin Reverb at my local shop.

Yum.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I dunno..
Maybe when I saw Blue Oyster Cult..
Extra Terrestrial Intelligence had an awesome tone.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by TheQuailman
^^I find it's even worse with guitars. A sh*tty amp I can deal with, but a guitar that doesn't play right is sheer horror for me.

I got a little spoiled since I bought my strat I guess.

yeah, definitely. don't get me wrong... once you get over a certain amount of money, you'll notice more difference with amps than guitars (especially if you need high gain), but under a certain amount of money, the guitars can be terrible in terms of playability...

and the funny thing is, the longer i've been playing, the less impressed i am with cheaper guitars, but the more impressed i'm getting with cheaper amps... don't get me wrong, if you have a decent budget at all you should probably split it about evenly, but...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 16, 2009,
knights of cydonia by muse. when my SS modeller couldnt match the epic distortion it was all downhill from there.

i love my tube amp now though ^__^
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
For me already being a musician made me understand what good tone is. However, the "tonally aware" part of my brain couldn't communicate very well with my wallet when I started out, so I got a cube.
^^^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tone is subjective, and I personally haven't found or decided what I find good tone. Currently I'm a sucker for mid heavy preamp distortion though, has grit and body. When I tell people my blackmore has 8/10 mids and contour engage, a lot of people but it works for me.

Sometimes I also think tone is imaginary, based on what you expect. Yesterday I had a guy bashing turning up mids on ENGL amplifiers, this morning he said he loved my ENGL blackmore tone.

I don't know though, what I might consider good tone could be **** to another and vice versa.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Feb 16, 2009,
Hearing my Ibanez Toneblaster through the amp's headphone output.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Playing through the amp I currently own for the first time.
And after owning it for a few months, I REALLY know.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Way back when when I first heard Ty Tabor of King's X tone. It just made sit up and take notice, and then when I found out the lengths he went to (fake rack faces, etc) to hide how he attained it, I began to really listen to every guitarists tone and appreciate the real quality ones, and even appreciate the ones that might not have been technically sound but fit the music perfectly.

And ever since I've never ever been happy with my own tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
When I went looking for a new amp, this guy was selling a 60's vintage tube amp for 100 bucks lol. I didnt realize he had a SD 57' In the bridge. I bought teh amp, took it home to play on my epi les paul special 2, didnt sound as good but much better than my old amp lol.
As soon as I started talking toyou people, I knew what to listen for. Im proud to say I never owned a solid state amp
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
listening to gary moore for the first time. the solo from still got the blues or all of parissienne walkways.
Epi Les Paul with SD's
VK112
Hardwire OD

Quote by PuppetMaster91
As a relative new-comer to the guitar world I'd just like to point out how much more interesting this thread sounded when I thought a 'Metal Muff' was some sort of chastity belt...

Quote by tymanic
Whats a gibson?
Page 1 of 3