I totally love the style and the look of a semi-hollow guitar, but I'm just wondering, if I ever got one, would I be able to get a hard rock sound from it?

I like the play hard rock songs and I like a thick sound. I like to play Hoobastank, Disturbed, Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, and bands like that.

I dunno a lot about guitars so any help is appreciated.
Ted Nugent used one for some high-gain stuff.

So does Tom Morello now and then.

Just make sure to use it properly if you don't like feedback like some(me) do.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Dave Grohl plays a semi-hollow in the Foo Fighters, and he manages to get a pretty good tone out of it. I'd go for it.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by britishsligean
apparently eddie van halen used one befor he built his strat

That was also back before Van Halen really started... Back in the days when they were playing a bunch of covers of people like Eric Clapton and the like.
It should work fine for stuff like Hoobastank and Nirvana, but if you want to play music with more distortion like Disturbed, you'll get a lot of feedback with a semi acoustic.
Quote by TheQuailman
It should work fine for stuff like Hoobastank and Nirvana, but if you want to play music with more distortion like Disturbed, you'll get a lot of feedback with a semi acoustic.

I see. thanks for the info.
Billy Duffy (The Cult) frequently uses semi-hollowbody guitars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Duffy

As do many punk performers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Pac_man0123
That was also back before Van Halen really started... Back in the days when they were playing a bunch of covers of people like Eric Clapton and the like.

speaking of clapton he played one too (cherry red) although he may or may not be considered hard rock

If your planning on a lot of distortion make sure it is semi not full hollow, I can play with a good distorted sound with my full hollow but if im not carefull it does feedback
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Troy Van Leeuwen all make use of semi-hollow guitars.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Troy Van Leeuwen all make use of semi-hollow guitars.

funny enough they all played in the same band