I've been finding that most guitars hinder my singing ability- what sort of guitars are easy to sing and play with? It's mostly my breathing which is inhibited, nothing to do with co-ordination.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Feb 16, 2009,
It's a bit of a lose-lose situation- if I have the guitar high up I find it harder to use my diaphragm, but if I lower it I slouch, which also makes me sound bad.
I can't remember ever having to blow into my guitar to get it to play, so there's no guitar that 's better for singing with.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a singer and I'm looking for a guitar that isn't going to make singing difficult whilst playing simultaneously...
Quote by Aidy Damage
I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a singer and I'm looking for a guitar that isn't going to make singing difficult whilst playing simultaneously...

There's no magic guitar for that, just practice.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
I can't remember ever having to blow into my guitar to get it to play, so there's no guitar that 's better for singing with.

lol!..........

What about an inflatable guitar for fancy dress?
Quote by srvflood
There's no magic guitar for that, just practice.

I do practice, and I've been the singer and guitarist in a band for years- I'm just asking!

I wish I hadn't sold my SG Standard, that was the least problematic apart from the neck dive from Hell that made grabbing the mic really difficult.
Or you could just pretend to play, that would make it a lot easier.
Last.fm

Good post. Im sort of in the same situation. I play and sing and want a guitar thats easy to strum on while singing. I used to have an Epi SG that was pretty good for that. I use Strats now, and theyre good as well.
any guitar that doesn't put a lot of strain on your back, that doesn't stab you in the chest with curves and spikes and that doesn't dive as soon as you let go of the neck.
The guitar shouldn't be slung too low either, as your body will tense up unless you hunch over, which will hinder your breathing.

In short, if the guitar feels comfortable to your body as a whole, it will work fine....

How hard can this be to figure out?
Last edited by Revhain at Feb 16, 2009,
dude just practice i dont think guitar matters
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
A real light guitar, depends on the wood. I think ash is the lightest? Or is it mahogany? Maple?
Try a telecaster. Joe Strummer seemed to have sung decently with one. As does Bruce Springsteen. if they fail, try a strat; I can provide plenty of artists who use them while singing. And again, if they fail, look into some of the chambered Les Pauls.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
A light V-shaped guitar?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
light guitars. That's the key. Find the lightest, best sounding electric you can to use. SG's, Tele's and strats would be a good start.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Maybe one of those Ovation ones that are kind of a weird shape - or a Vox Teardrop maybe...

I daresay: no?

You tried out a strat or tele yet? The telecaster thinlines are pretty light (not the squier ones, those are actually pretty heavy).
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Yeah, I've tried strats and teles- the teles seemed to jab me in the diaphragm. With strats, it was the volume knob that became a problem- I keep hitting it when I play.
A flying V might work.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I'm not 100% sure I understand why the shape is compromising your singing, but I use a strat just fine, as do many guys I know. But then you also look at the amount using Vs, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs etc etc.
I guess you'll have to just work your voice around your guitar because a guitar can't improve your singing.
JACKSON RANDY RHOADS

Matt Tuck manages to sing with them.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
^ eewwwww...

I guess it would help if I told you I play heavy alt. rock- Smashing Pumpkins, My Vitriol, Muse...
Quote by Aidy Damage
Yeah, I've tried strats and teles- the teles seemed to jab me in the diaphragm. With strats, it was the volume knob that became a problem- I keep hitting it when I play.

I've actually begun using that to my advantage via easy access for volume swells. Move your picking a bit farther from the bridge and it'll be fine. Still though, if you don't want to have to go with that, maybe a PRS SE Custom 24?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
My RR24 is really well balanced compared to my previous guitars, I find it incredibly easy to sing and play but I don't think it's your kinda style.
RULE BRITANNIA