okay say a tubed head pushed 120 watts, how many watts would that be with a solid state since tubes have a bigger dynamic??
Gear:
Ibanez GAX 30
Fender mexi tele <3 holy mother of god im in love
digitech D-7 distortion pedal
line 6 delay pedal
heartke 4x12 320 watt cab
Marshall MGHDFX100
depends. all that can be said.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
what do you mean it depends??
Gear:
Ibanez GAX 30
line 6 delay pedal
Marshall MGHDFX100
Well, wattage is calculated in RMS, so you could be pushing 140 watts at peak, maybe more. Which would be close to, if not exceeding, 200w SS. Lots of power if you crank that thing. More than you may ever need.
okay so if i had a B52 that was a 150 watt hybrid how many watts would that be pushing??
Gear:
Ibanez GAX 30
line 6 delay pedal
Marshall MGHDFX100
Quote by sXe_efie
okay say a tubed head pushed 120 watts, how many watts would that be with a solid state since tubes have a bigger dynamic??
How many oranges equal a watermelon?

Get the point? There is no "equal" here.

if you want to compare clean power, 120 watts tube watts equals 120 solid state watts ... EXACTLY.

If you want to compare how loud each is when overdriven, you can't.
Each amp design will act differently when overdriven.
And there are a ton of different designs in solid state amps.

The can be no definitive answer to a question like this.
Anyone who tries will just be making it up.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I believe the ratio of SS watts to tube watts is the same as the ratio of Stanley Nickles to Shcrute Bucks.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Lets see a b52 150 watt hybrid would be pushing umm 150 watts. There isnt a magic equation for this. Like where you convert from celsius to fahrenheit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
How many oranges equal a watermelon?

Get the point? There is no "equal" here.

if you want to compare clean power, 120 watts tube watts equals 120 solid state watts ... EXACTLY.

If you want to compare how loud each is when overdriven, you can't.
Each amp design will act differently when overdriven.
And there are a ton of different designs in solid state amps.

The can be no definitive answer to a question like this.
Anyone who tries will just be making it up.

This man is correct. 120 watts = 120 watts = 120 watts.
Most amps are also rated at a specific % of signal distorion, THD I believe. Not every one measures at the same %. If my memory serves me correctly, most tube amp watts can be dived by .80 to get a ROUGH equivalent of max output. Though this depends on many things, such as the tube bias. This doesn't mean you can take your 100watt head, and divide by .80 to get 125watts and compare that to an SS amp because you are then comparing max out put to clean out put. Then you would be comparing oranges to dragon fruits. Either way, I doubt you would be able to tell much difference as to which amp is louder between a 100 watt and a 120 watt amp head though anyways.

Why people insist on such huge wattage amps though is beyond me. 40 watts is about most you would need, 20 is more like it. They have more uses, and if you need to play louder, its called get a microphone.
The wattage will be the same but a tube watt is louder than a SS watt. So you will get more amperage i believe? Not quite sure but a tube 100 watt amp will be louder than a 100 watt SS amp.