Sup UG!

Alright long story short, im 20, college student, cant get a music teacher, and Ive been playing for a year.

I have been kind of learning some music theory on and off now throughout this year, but I'm more interested in bettering myself and being able to play some songs that I really enjoy.

Of course every guitarists dream to play Cliffs of Dover and Canon and stuff, sure; but I'm heavily into Fall of Troy, A7X, etc. Most of my goals are to be able to play these songs efficiently (particularly The Fall of Troy songs). I can play some things like the Stairway solo, Comfortably Numb solo, a few easier A7X and Metallica songs. Yes, I can play them cleanly(all except for few parts of Stairway and Comfortably Numb which im Guitar Pro'ing my way through). Can't sweep, but I can alternate pick pretty good and I'm average at tapping.

Anyways, What techniques should I focus on, what things should I learn, where should most of my attention be directed to? I dont want to learn all of them by tomorrow so I'm enjoying the road there, but I want to be on the right path to learning them as soon and as efficiently as I possibly can.

Thank you guys for any help!
Expand your music styles. You`ll be surprised how much you can learn.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Well Ive mostly been into hard rock and metal, but Ive started improvising some blues solos and Ive been playing with some blues and jazz solos's and stuff. But no matter what, those are still my ultimate goals, and I'd just like to know the best route to get there and what kind of techniques are most important for that style of play. I want to get halfway there first and then start hammering theory and start playing in that style, cuz thats the typeo f music I want to play most.

Thanks for your help though!
Well, for starters, mastering the basics is always good. And I mean MASTER those basics. By basics I mean your hammer-ons and your pull-offs, your alternative and economy picking (including string skipping), and your palm muting (a big must). You'd be surprised at the things you can play just by completely mastering those.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
You may want to consider forming a band using those styles, or a cover band. If you wish to improve your guitar skills fast, that's the easiest way to do it.

Also pick a song that's just out of your grasp (like a comparatively easy Fall of Troy song), break it down into parts and work through them. I'm currently doing the same with Ozzy and Extreme songs. It's a great way to identify exactly which techniques you need to work on, and you learn a song in the process.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud