With a bit of saving I could get a Gibson SG Special ($1500) for my birthday, I was wondering if they are very good, I have been told low end gibsons like studio LPs and SG Specials are really bad. Would I be better off with an Epiphone G-400 and a Pickup change (probably a JB/Jazz combo or maybe Blackouts if I can find them in Aus) and getting some new machine heads + strap locks for half the price of the stock gibson?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
yea or companys like agile and the like make some sick knockoffs, My new agile al 2000, the machine quality is better than my old lp standard the pickups are different but not worse, just better for diff playing style etc, and i would have to say that for the most part i love my agile more than my gibson. So before you go and say oh its not origional look for something other than epiphone or gibson because you are gonna pay a 9999999999% markup for just the name
~Defiant~
God Gibson's low end has gotten expensive. When I stared playing you could get a special for like $900.

I'd try looking for an older one. From my experience they are better than the new ones. Especially early 90's.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Aurex
yea or companys like agile and the like make some sick knockoffs, My new agile al 2000, the machine quality is better than my old lp standard the pickups are different but not worse, just better for diff playing style etc, and i would have to say that for the most part i love my agile more than my gibson. So before you go and say oh its not origional look for something other than epiphone or gibson because you are gonna pay a 9999999999% markup for just the name

The only problem with Agile is that it will cost me 50 gibsons to get it imported.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i've never known a $1500 guitar to be low end
the gibson will be better at least as far as quality control over a modded epi
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Artemis Entreri
God Gibson's low end has gotten expensive. When I stared playing you could get a special for like $900.

Im in Australia and I can't buy used or online unless it is in my local newspaper in which case it is a beginner pack that no one wants anymore.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
The specials are OK... Like any gibson, you have to try as many as you can before you buy one to make sure you get the one that feels best. I think the thing is, with the low-end models, you have to look even harder due to some slack in the QC department and the variation from hand-made instruments.

If you find one that feels good, by all means, get it because that means it's a good guitar.
^^ Good to see someone not just slamming Gibson outright! Good point too, you need to try several of any given guitar (model) in order to find the jem! Even cheaper, inexpensive guiatrs have them, you just have to look harder at a larger cross section. Common complaints about GIbsons are (visible) finish flaws and inconsistent neck sizes. If you can get past that you should be fine. It is amazing how much Gibson wants for one of their guitars these days though! For the money you'd expect them to be flawless.
Moving on.....
Quote by random_B-RAD
The only problem with Agile is that it will cost me 50 gibsons to get it imported.

are you kidding me? I got mine for $14 shipping from www.rondomusic.com
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
It used to be that low-end Gibsons were basically in the same ballpark as 'a really decent Epiphone', plus better pickups and the headstock. That's why you were paying an extra couple of hundred over a regular Epiphone. They were never amazing but they weren't a total waste of money.

Now though with the recent Gibson price hike and the cheaper grade wood they're using, it's not worth it. You're now paying easily double (if not more) Epiphone prices for something that is now barely on-par. Unless you luck out and find a really, really good older one (it'll have to be at least a couple of years old) sitting in the back of a store shelf somewhere, stay away from low-end Gibsons. With the quality dip and the price raise, it's just not worth it at all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Actually just played a nice tobacco brown one today, LOVED it.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

well the way it typically goes... of course...

is all the best wood is gonna go to the supreme's, then standards, then specials, then faded specials...

So it can depend... I love my faded sg, and I got one that actually has some really nice wood on it, and i love it. But at the same time, i've played what I thought where some pretty ****ty faded specials... Definately try it out and get a feel for it before you buy one, my two cents... but you can still get some really nice axe's on the lower end of the gibson scale
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by MrFlibble
It used to be that low-end Gibsons were basically in the same ballpark as 'a really decent Epiphone', plus better pickups and the headstock. That's why you were paying an extra couple of hundred over a regular Epiphone. They were never amazing but they weren't a total waste of money.

Now though with the recent Gibson price hike and the cheaper grade wood they're using, it's not worth it. You're now paying easily double (if not more) Epiphone prices for something that is now barely on-par. Unless you luck out and find a really, really good older one (it'll have to be at least a couple of years old) sitting in the back of a store shelf somewhere, stay away from low-end Gibsons. With the quality dip and the price raise, it's just not worth it at all.

That.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I had a really long explanation typed out, but I lost it due to a stupid internet connection. So I'll give you the short version:

Hell to the no they're not worth it.