Well, it's that time again. I may buy a new amp for this summer, and need your help. Budget-$1700 tops, I will have a job, I'm not spoiled, tones from decent cleans to All That Remains and Killswitch Engage. Preferably a head, for headroom, not cause it looks br00tal or something like that.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
A head will not give you any more head room than a combo of the same wattage would.

And I suggest a used Soldano Avenger. (I have no clue what KSE uses, I think it's Engls)

But Soldano Avengers= Pure awesomeness.
I've been told they use Dual Rectifiers.$1800?! Goolz, that's crazy!
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Feb 16, 2009,
Dual Rec's go used all the time between 900-1300, if thats what you want. But check out an ENGL Fireball, possibly a used Powerball, maybe a VHT Deliverance, but they tend to have a love/hate thing going on.

Peavey 5150 II would be ideal, maybe a XXX or JSX if you want.

With a budget like that it all comes down to preference and what you think sounds the best, we can give you some pointers but it's going to be YOUR amp, and everyone has different tastes.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Are there any Marshalls I should look at
Quote by chip46
Possibly a JCM900, but I would look at a Dual Rec or a used Soldano Hot Rod first. Maybe even a used Uberschall, although I don't know what their going rate is.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by lespaul#1
Are there any Marshalls I should look at

maybe a JCM900 as was already stated, or maybe one of the JVM series, although I am not a huge fan of them they seem to do the modern metal thing decently enough.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
@lespaul#1: JVMs??

but my list is different

ENGL PowerBall
ENGL Invader
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Splawn Nitro
Soldano SLO
Soldano Avenger
Peavey 6505+
Peaveu JSX
Peavey 3120
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I can probably try a Dual Rectifier, I don't know about the others.
Quote by chip46
yeah a 900 wouldn't be too bad, if you want marshall tone go splawn maybe.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Do all these amps listed have alright cleans?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I've been told they use Dual Rectifiers.$1800?! Goolz, that's crazy!

Used, you can get one for about 1300. AND it's totally worth it. I'd buy one new if I had the moniez. That thing ****ing slays heads. For realz.

Also look at the Mesa Mk. III.
Quote by lespaul#1
Do all these amps listed have alright cleans?

The worst cleans of the bunch would probably be the 6505+, and the + has relatively usable cleans anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
yes the quickrod is not bad but not great the JCM900 has some of the best cleans out of marshalls and mesas normally have great cleans
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Goolz, you'd buy a br00talz amp? And Raijouta, which one would you say has the best cleans?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
And Raijouta, which one would you say has the best cleans?

im not Rajiouta but i think i can answer that
from the amps i listed i think the Mesa/Boogie Mark IV has the best cleans.......
the second one is the JSX, then the SLO..........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by lespaul#1
Goolz, you'd buy a br00talz amp?

I do not understand this question.
Thanks WTF keep the suggestions and advice coming
Quote by chip46
ENGL's, soldanos, 6505+, and a rectifier (if you can find a good sound out of it, i certainly cant) would be some of your best bets
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'm gonna try the dual rectifier next chance I get
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I'm gonna try the dual rectifier next chance I get

make sure you use a closed back cabinet, i think they sound terrible otherwise
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'll try, thanks.
Quote by chip46
Try a Peavey 3120, or a JSX. Look at used Mesa Mark IV combos, or even stacks if you can find that good a deal.