Poll: Does Geography Matter?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does Geography Matter?
Yes
110 87%
No
16 13%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
So i'm writing a report on why Geography matters (based off the book by Harm de Blij) and I was wondering
Does the pit think Geography matters?
and if so why?
Last edited by conrad523 at Feb 16, 2009,
Awfully hard to invade France if you don't know where it's at.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

Not that it would matter anyway
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
hell yea, cities sprout up around water sources, why? ports, why ports, trade. why trade? money, why money? human nature of greed. duh.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
Quote by Jackal58

Would be pretty easy.

Just march around until someone surrenders.
Yes, if you don't know where you are, you're lost.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Yes, but not because of "At least I know what the capital of Tajikistan is"

It is important because it is the bridging subject between sciences and humanities
(there are countless examples, a common one is with Atmospheric Science. The geography would be how humans affect AS and how AS affects humanity)

I don't know if you are talking about 4th grade Geography or actual Geography.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by that soccer kid
hell yea, cities sprout up around water sources, why? so they can water their crops. duh.

Fixed.
Quote by lordofthefood1

I don't know if you are talking about 4th grade Geography or actual Geography.

actual
Not really, most things I was taught in Geography class I already knew from looking at maps, or watching the discovery channel. Yes, Chile runs along the southwest coast of South America, and the Earth's crust consists of several slow moving plates.

The one thing I remember learning about was the different kinds of maps, ex - topographical, and even now, I don't remember which is which.
no; we've got enough geography to last us until the plates shift a bit more, which will be long after i'm dead.

gimme an atlas and a compass and i'm all set.
Quote by Joetime
Every time I masturbate it feels like I'm committing a small scale infanticide. Feels cool.
Quote by technicolour
Not really, most things I was taught in Geography class I already knew from looking at maps, or watching the discovery channel. Yes, Chile runs along the southwest coast of South America, and the Earth's crust consists of several slow moving plates.

The one thing I remember learning about was the different kinds of maps, ex - topographical, and even now, I don't remember which is which.

Quote by psychogel
no; we've got enough geography to last us until the plates shift a bit more, which will be long after i'm dead.

I hope you guys don't vote.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by psychogel

Proving your idiocy in this thread too eh?
no.. not all the ****ty rock stuff you study at gcse and A level

where things are.. that does matter.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
no.. not all the ****ty rock stuff you study at gcse and A level

where things are.. that does matter.

Geology =/= Geography.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I think it does. But I'm a total social studies nerd, so it's obvious that I would say yes.
to a point. it helps to know where things that are happening in the world are happening. but i dont think that having an encyclopedic knowledge of the earth is especially useful. besides, with the internet, the world is getting smaller each day.
I have no opinion on this matter.
it's essential, because otherwise you ended up asking questions like: "Who's the current president of Africa?" and making statements like "I thought Argentina was in Europe".

Yes, it actually happened.
The person that said that was 20 at the time.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Zugunruhe
to a point. it helps to know where things that are happening in the world are happening. but i dont think that having an encyclopedic knowledge of the earth is especially useful. besides, with the internet, the world is getting smaller each day.

If the world is getting smaller wouldn't more knowledge be beneficial.
I don't think it's getting smaller I just think it's getting here a helluva lot faster.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Geography is important for everyone else bar me.
because if you learn i don't have too, i'll just ask you.
Quote by Jackal58
If the world is getting smaller wouldn't more knowledge be beneficial.
I don't think it's getting smaller I just think it's getting here a helluva lot faster.

faster works too. 50 years ago we could never have an instant conversation across the country, let alone with people from other countries. the internet makes where you are in a sense irrelevant, because we can still communicate instantly.

not to mention that we can use things like google earth to see geographic details from around the world. the information is so much more available, it seems like memorizing it is not necessary anymore.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Jackal58
Geology =/= Geography.

Actually rocks have everything to do with physical geography.
It was embarrassing when an Aussie knew more about American geography than I did. Thanks American education system for never properly teaching me geography.
Quote by Zugunruhe
faster works too. 50 years ago we could never have an instant conversation across the country, let alone with people from other countries. the internet makes where you are in a sense irrelevant, because we can still communicate instantly.

not to mention that we can use things like google earth to see geographic details from around the world. the information is so much more available, it seems like memorizing it is not necessary anymore.

True but having a working knowledge of where these people you are talking to are at and what there home culture is like avoids a lot of misunderstanding. Like a lot of the daily flame fests you see on UG.

Quote by heaven's gate
Actually rocks have everything to do with physical geography.

Sure they do. But they are still separate disciplines. I wouldn't expect a geologist to understand the basic society formation sitting on top of those rock formations. Nor would I ask a geographer to point me in the direction of a possible oil supply based upon the local wedding customs.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Sure they do. But they are still separate disciplines. I wouldn't expect a geologist to understand the basic society formation sitting on top of those rock formations. Nor would I ask a geographer to point me in the direction of a possible oil supply based upon the local wedding customs.

Actually a geologist most likely would, and a geographer sure as hell could show you where a good oil supply is, dunno 'bout that wedding part though.

Human geography =/= physical geography. TS you should've specified!!!
I know too many people that think Africa is a country and that kangaroos come from Austria. Yes, please learn all you can about geography.
Geography helps to understand how the world works.

Just like History, and political science.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by heaven's gate
Proving your idiocy in this thread too eh?

nope, just screwin' around. this is the Pit, after all
Quote by Joetime
Every time I masturbate it feels like I'm committing a small scale infanticide. Feels cool.
Quote by heaven's gate
Actually a geologist most likely would, and a geographer sure as hell could show you where a good oil supply is, dunno 'bout that wedding part though.

Human geography =/= physical geography. TS you should've specified!!!

I'll concede. I see physical geography as geology.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by psychogel
nope, just screwin' around. this is the Pit, after all

Fair enough. I'll back off now.
Quote by Jackal58
I'll concede. I see physical geography as geology.

Well they're related to each other in so many ways, but I like to say physical geography is much more interesting, though I haven't taken a geology course yet (and don't plan on it unless I have to).
geography is more than just maps.
geography is how our earth formed, how it moves around in space, how that rock you kicked got there, climate, biomes, how rivers are shaped the way they are, glaciers, mountains, pretty much everything that has to do with the earth is some way connected with geography.
To a certain degree.
But I don't need to know contour lines for hills and stuff. I'll never need that.
Page 1 of 2