Hi,

My name is Zack, and I'm doing a project for one of my college classes that involves creating an imitation Les Paul, with a "Heritage Cherry" sunburst.
I bought a "SAGA les paul guitar kit", and while the electronics don't look too good, the wood seems solid. The body is an arched top, double cutaway design made of basswood with a flamed maple top. I think there's some enamel or sealer on the guitar, so I will probably have to remove that too.
Anyway, I decided that this guitar should be good enough for my purposes, so I'm looking to buy the right stuff to get that "Heritage Cherry" sunburst feel. That's where I found you guys. What would you advise me to buy if I were looking to make this kind of sunburst? Pretend I know NOTHING about this, and remember that this is only a project, so if it's not a perfect imitation, I'm not going to cry. I'd appreciate any advice that you guys have, because you seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. Any links to specific products would be ideal, because as it is now, I know nothing about this stuff.
As far as technique goes, I understand the *concept* to some extent or another. However, I need help finding the right materials to buy online. Can I get specific links to paints/stains/whatevers that will get this specific Heritage Cherry color scheme?
In case you're uncertain as to what coloring I mean, here's a link:
http://www.mandoweb.com/48-3495.jpg

Thanks so much!
Zack

UPDATE: I already went to http://reranch.com and was told that they're out of the specific red color I need.
I was getting both names when i was searching online; good point.

Any ideas for materials?
Red stain, amber stain, and whatever sanding sealer and clear coat you want.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
What about the yellow/orange-y hue?

Does anyone have a link to specific vendors and/or products that I should try? Again, I already tried Guitar ReRanch with no luck.
Haha wonderful! Actually, you're dead on, divinorum; I'm hoping for something a lot like the bottom one. Any idea what brand/hues to purchase? I really am completely new here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
Wow! Great find, lumberjack!
One last thing: My SAGA guitar has a ton of clear finish/seal/polish/whatnot on it. How should I go about removing it?
Last edited by sweebez at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Albino_Rhino
sandpaper.

yes but be very careful. It is extremely easy to go through the veneer with a little over zealous sanding. Hey this site doesn't offer refinishing materials but guitarattack.com has a whole section devoted to saga kits.

Edit: and you may think about guitarreranch for supplies
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
^he looked at reranch already.

oh and for the record, vintage sunburst is black to amber, not just solid color red to solid amber.
listen to lumberjack, stew-mac has good quality stuff.

and finally, guitarattack.com
they have tons of stuff on saga kits, as the guy above said. specifically, look at their "mattocaster"
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
o my bad didn't see he looked there already. and yes the mattocaster is very informative to read
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
You could also strip the finish off with a chemical stripper. That makes for waaaay quicker work than sandpaper, and much easier too. Plus that way you're sure to save that veneer of yours, all you would need is a light touch of sanding after the stripping and you'd be set.
^ the stuff on those sagas is said to be almost bomb proof (I thought about doing one so i read up a lot on them) But if you want to try that it is definitely safer than sanding and i think citrus strip is the recommended brand for the saga sealer
Quote by Dr. House
yeah the mattocaster has the only successful attempt ive ever seen to remove that sealer without sanding.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Let me tell you, I just started with the citristrip, and it is working like magic. I'm only on my first application of the stuff, and let me tell you, the difference is tangible.