Alright, I play with a Strat, usually with my computer on so I can play along to songs on iTunes. Obviously there's a ton of noise that comes from the pickups when I'm not playing and just facing the computer, but why does the noise go away when I select the second or fourth position on my pickup selector? Wouldn't selecting two pickups create more noise?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Becase two single coils become active making it humcanceling.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Completely the opposite, humbuckers are quiet because the magnets from the two pups cancel out the hum, same goes with the middle positions on a SSS guitar
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
you have a CRT monitor, don't you?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Haha, it seems so obvious now. I didn't think about the effect of having two electomagnets on at the same time. Just something that had been bugging me ever since I started playing.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
when you have it on an inbetween setting thats when its running on 2 pickups. when its on 2 pickups that makes it more like a split humbucker or stacked single coil wich usally means less feedback. mine does the same thing, if you adjust the tone apropitly itll sound just like a regular single coil
Quote by Mad Mike 829
when you have it on an inbetween setting thats when its running on 2 pickups. when its on 2 pickups that makes it more like a split humbucker or stacked single coil wich usally means less feedback. mine does the same thing, if you adjust the tone apropitly itll sound just like a regular single coil

nope.

In positions 2&4 on the strat, they're wired in parrelell, not series like a humbucker. A split humbucker is just a single coil on the humbucker and a stacked humbucker is two single coils stacked up on eachother wired in series, like a humbucker. The sound you get in positions 2 and 4 is not "like a humbucker," It's almost the opposite. It's jangly and quiet, humbuckers are boomy and loud.

The way noise cancelling works with single coils is that one is reverse wrapped and have negative polarity, so what happens is one pickup does 60-cycle "positive" while the other does 60-cycle "negative" and the two cycles just phase eachother out. It's similar to humbuckers, but humbucker's tone comes from the series wiring, not the reverse wrap.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thanks Thomme, very helpful.
Quote by stevenpollock