Hi,I was just wondering as i need to replace the nut on my epi ...is there any difference in buying a preslotted nut and fitting it yourself or is it better to get a luthier to cut one for it(in other words,will there be any difference in slot size?)are there set measurements for guitar nuts or does every guitar require slightly different slot widths and depths?sorry if i'm overcomplicating this but i know very little about guitar maintenance....
Well a pre slotted one will do, but if you always use the same string guage a luthier will be able to slot it to suit those guages.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah, I need to replace the nut on my guitar, but I've heard you still have to file the nut slots on a pre-slotted nut in order to get the right width and depth.
A pre slotted nut will do, the strings will find their place, wear in, or... you may have to file a bit.

The difference is a lot of money and not a lot of playability. So just go preslotted.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
A pre slotted nut will do, the strings will find their place, wear in, or... you may have to file a bit.

The difference is a lot of money and not a lot of playability. So just go preslotted.

Accept that you will never ever ever get good low action without a nut that has been properly slotted to fit not only the radius of your fingerboard, but the size of your frets....

...... the plot thickens!
hey allycuk, what kind of nut did you get? the only one i've seen for sale are the graphtech tremnuts. i need to replace the nut on my sg soon.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
A preslotted one will fit but as its a generic fit it may or may not play good. They are usually taller than needed so as to fit the various guitars out there. So would still need the slots filed to fit your particular guitar. The blank ones of course need alot more work but sometimes is the only way with some guitars. Me being a lefty a blank is really the only way.
file it down if you need to.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
hi unsigned! I changed my mind again and decided although its costly I'm gonna get a luthier to cut it.I toyed with the idea of doing it myself coz it seems such a simple job to do(And would also save me a small fortune!) but I can't find any tuts or guides on cutting a nut,I also have no nut files.If anyone knows of any tuts or guides on replacing a nut please let me know!ps if you go with preslotted unsigned you might still have to do some filing like the other posters said!
there are plenty of tuts, problem is fret files are expensive as hell, also need proper measuring tools
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by Allycuk
hi unsigned! I changed my mind again and decided although its costly I'm gonna get a luthier to cut it.I toyed with the idea of doing it myself coz it seems such a simple job to do(And would also save me a small fortune!) but I can't find any tuts or guides on cutting a nut,I also have no nut files.If anyone knows of any tuts or guides on replacing a nut please let me know!ps if you go with preslotted unsigned you might still have to do some filing like the other posters said!

thanks, lemme know how much it costs?

i dunno, i might just do it myself. if i screw up, another saddle's like... $10?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Albino_Rhino

I had a tusq nut cut and installed for $5 by a professional.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
here's a funny story. this guy has a guitar shop about 5 miles from my house, he's been there for about 30 years. I went in there looking for parts one day and while I was talking to him I watched him butcher a guys acoustic nut with a fret saw... he'd just yank the string out of the way, slam it with the fret saw and slap the string back in...

i felt faint after I saw that.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology