I need help with learning how to memorize solos for songs. I am good enough to play them, but it often takes me a few weeks of dedicated time to memorize a solo. Are there any techniques that can help me memorize faster and retain more info?
Play it on loop a couple dozen times.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Remember like 3 notes at once, instead of trying to remember say.. 4 whole bars at once.
Play the first 3 notes, look away from the tab, and play it, then go back and try to play the next 3 without looking.

Something along that line
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Learn what it's meant to sound like before you try and play it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just listen to the song more often. It doesn't make sense to try and master a song you've only heard once or twice, expecting to remember it all the way through any way.
As said above, intimate knowledge of what the solo should sound like it required first. Once done break it up into pieces. Learn each part separately and slowly put them together. That's also a great way to learn licks for use in other songs.

Also if you know some scales/music theory, you should know why they're playing certain notes and how they fit within the structure of the song. Knowledge of why you are supposed to play certain notes in certain places helps you remember and you go "and this is the part where i'm supposed to play this, because xxx".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
yea the best way is to learn it piece by piece, break it up into sections. practice one little part til you have it, then practice the next part, then put em together and learn that, then learn the next part. just learn all the little sections, and put em together.
Quote by Superstrat101
Just listen to the song more often. It doesn't make sense to try and master a song you've only heard once or twice, expecting to remember it all the way through any way.

Not totally true. Songs with ****in' epic solos are really easy to remember. I've only listened to Purple Rain by Prince like twice and I don't remember the chords at all but the solo and every riff in it is pure badass.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Seeing as your question has been pretty much answered...

Maybe you should learn to improvise? Alot of musicians don't even memorise their own solos, so why should you? They actually improvise. Anyway, in alot of fields, performing someone elses solo note for note is seen as kiddy. If I went to a jazz club and played a Parker solo note for note I'd have my fingers cut off by a stoned, big guy named Koo' Cat.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Youve got to hear the solo in your head first...when you dont know it in in your head its pointless. Try to hum it before you play it.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Not totally true. Songs with ****in' epic solos are really easy to remember. I've only listened to Purple Rain by Prince like twice and I don't remember the chords at all but the solo and every riff in it is pure badass.

Try MAB's Speed kills/No boundaries, or any other epic virtuoso song. They are hard as hell to memorise.

But On teh subjekt... Its best to usually break it down in short sections. I like to run through the whole song, play all the licks in it, see if its worth learning, then set onto memorisation.
Its easier for some to memorise than others, but if you try to memorise more songs, the better you'll be at it, and it will take less time to get a song down.
Quote by demonofthenight
Seeing as your question has been pretty much answered...

Maybe you should learn to improvise? Alot of musicians don't even memorise their own solos, so why should you? They actually improvise. Anyway, in alot of fields, performing someone elses solo note for note is seen as kiddy. If I went to a jazz club and played a Parker solo note for note I'd have my fingers cut off by a stoned, big guy named Koo' Cat.

Yes i can improvise however I'd like to learn solos just to gain some influence. The only solos i know entirely are the trooper, aqualung, and the final tales of brave ulysses one. When i play live, which is rarely, i play the most memorable parts of a solo then improv the rest.
First of all you need to know in which scale the solo is. Then, break it in parts (if its is over a simple chord progression, the first repetition, or maybe first learn the sweep picking part and then the tapping). Repeat it only with the backing track and finally repeat it with the original song.

To practice your musical memory learn some jazz melodies and then repeat them in 3rds, 5ths, 6ths.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
listen to it until ur sick of it, then play it until ur fingers bleed lol thats whati do and its gotten me this far
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
practice scales everyday. After a few months of practice...many solos will come pretty naturally. Even if you dont have the chops to play them..you will still be able to identify
the positions they are played in.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Play the solo "alot" the more you practice it the easier it will be to meomorize it.
Quote by charliec364
Human memory is strongly pattern based, look for patterns in the solo to memorize

I'd say human memory is laden with affect and purely subjective to how each mind deciphers information.

I don't know how to help you TS. Each person approaches this in their own unique way that works best for them. Some see colours when they play, some feel strong emotions and abstract mental connections to certain passages that only make sense in their mind's eye, others rely on muscle memory, etc...

I'd ask you: what do you feel when you hear this solo? Does it create tension in you? Do you feel like laughing with joy at certain moments? What images to you get? What do you feel? Apply all of this when playing and you'll connect quickly, and the rest is muscle-work.

Good luck
personally every time i have tried to learn a solo really fast, its just messy and sucks. if you break it down. work it at a slower tempo then the reg. learn like the first 2 bars or so.

then go on. then after u hvae it memorized at that speed. increase the bmp by like 5-10 bmp. then soon you'll have it perfect in no time

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by LedZoso4
I need help with learning how to memorize solos for songs. I am good enough to play them, but it often takes me a few weeks of dedicated time to memorize a solo. Are there any techniques that can help me memorize faster and retain more info?

i have exactly the same problem.

i cant for the life of me remember the Nothing Else Matters solo... quite annoying

but yeah, as said above, with most other songs i just listen to it over and over and play along until it eventually sticks (doesnt work for nothing else matters though >.<.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.