today i purchased a brand new boss metal zone distortion pedal from guitar center. it sounded fine at GC but when i played it through my amp it has so much static, especially when i turn the mids and distortion up past halfway. when the mids are at full it makes the sound when a microphone squeals. has anyone had this same problem or know how to fix it? i use a vox valvetronix 30wt if that helps.
its the metal zone itself..............
im guessing you used it on a tube amp and Modeling amps + Distortion= crap

here is what you need to do......
sell the Metal Core, Sell the Valvetronix, then Buy a Peavey Vypyr 30w
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by somebellguy
boss metal zone distortion

I found the problem.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
lol let the bandwagon begin

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
i hear the biggest problem with these pedals is that they are made... but thats just a rumor...
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Sell the Metal Zone and buy a Metal Muff, best $90 you'll spend in a pedal.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Yeah dude, as you've found out, the Metal Zone is probably considered the worst concept since the Holocaust 'round these parts.

It's one of those tragic concepts, really. In theory, it should be a great, versatile pedal. Hi-gain with sweepable mids for great range. But something was left out in the design and instead of a versatile hi-gain pedal, you basically have "angry bees in a box."

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^its VERY ANGY BEES
and Fat-bastard0603 good suggestion but like i said modeling amp + Distortion pedal= EEWWW!!
feel free to add me
i've had my metal zone for 2 months, and i'm constantly frustrated by the inconsistency... I get good tone for a day, then for whatever reason, I come back the next day or even the same day, and it just sounds like ****. It's so versatile that you end up saying "f*** it, just give me distortion!"

take it back, get ANYTHING else, even the boss DS-2. good pedal.

also, be wary of pedal buying when your amp sucks: for example, my rig. don't get closer to it than you would a leper (except the dean )
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^its VERY ANGY BEES
and Fat-bastard0603 good suggestion but like i said modeling amp + Distortion pedal= EEWWW!!

This.

Just either deal with the distortion on the Valvetronix, sell it and buy a Vypyr, or sell it and buy a tube amp. That simple.
i had a metal zone and hated it so i took it back and got an overdrive pedal for my tube amp. but i know someone who has a valvetronix and i really liked how it sounded. and definately enough gain. if you haven had the valvetronix for long just crank it and play it some more. i liked my friends.
Epi Les Paul with SD's
VK112
Hardwire OD

Quote by PuppetMaster91
As a relative new-comer to the guitar world I'd just like to point out how much more interesting this thread sounded when I thought a 'Metal Muff' was some sort of chastity belt...

Quote by tymanic
Whats a gibson?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^its VERY ANGY BEES

Oh, I see.

Off topic: What about using a Meyal Muff with a Roland Cube 30x, will it sound bad?
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Oh, I see.

Off topic: What about using a Meyal Muff with a Roland Cube 30x, will it sound bad?

yes
feel free to add me
i dont understand the common misconception that you need a pedal that says "metal" on it if your playing metal. bring it back, stick with the valvetronix distortion.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Never ever use ANY distortion pedals with modelling amps. It doesn't matter how you use the 2, you can never use a distortion pedal with a modelling amp. It just does not work.

Its like trying to fit a sequare peg into a smaller round hole. It ain't gonna work.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by phawley42
i've had my metal zone for 2 months, and i'm constantly frustrated by the inconsistency... I get good tone for a day, then for whatever reason, I come back the next day or even the same day, and it just sounds like ****. It's so versatile that you end up saying "f*** it, just give me distortion!"

take it back, get ANYTHING else, even the boss DS-2. good pedal.

also, be wary of pedal buying when your amp sucks: for example, my rig. don't get closer to it than you would a leper (except the dean )

You stole the words right out my mouth. The pedal is really inconsistent, really a bad buy for anyone regardless.
all this bashing the pedal and no one has answered his question...
If the pedal is giving you a lot of STATIC (read: crappy tone aside...)
then you either have a problem with your cheap cables, or cheap guitar/pickups
Also, make sure you're using a perfectly clean channel on your amp.
i wouldnt recommend a dist. pedal for a solid state unless you got stuck with an mg

change your amp and take the pedal back

go get the vypyr if you want (i think ALL modelling amps are stupid)
or get a crate gt series for real cheap, the dist is pretty good for the value and way cheaper than the peavey
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by roarinflames
(i think ALL modelling amps are stupid)

eh....

Line 6 Flextones and Vettas are quite good. Vettas especially. its almost absurd.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
^^ not a fan of line 6 distortion at all really (way too bassy for my liking)
but for some reason my bud has the 150 spider and actually gets some kinda cool tones out of it

*steadily holds flame shield*

Edit to theoretic: never did report that thread btw, lol. got shutdown before i could repost a comment
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by roarinflames
^^ not a fan of line 6 distortion at all really (way too bassy for my liking)
but for some reason my bud has the 150 spider and actually gets some kinda cool tones out of it

*steadily holds flame shield*

Edit to theoretic: never did report that thread btw, lol. got shutdown before i could repost a comment

interesting. i could always EQ my POD's distortion to my liking, but the Vettas and the Flextones are very different from the Spiders.

...well, it apparently didn't matter. unfortunately, sarcasm is apparently impossible to detect online.

ka-WARN....

Don't judge me.
yeah i have a pocket pod
kind of garbage imo

i also have the tonport gx or something
EQ'd the **** out of the distortion to get it not-muddy
although the clean fx tones are pretty to mess with

and sarcasm is kind of not noticeable online lol
i once quoted a guy who called pete wentz a "fag" and got a warning for apparently "calling another user a fag"
to top it off the mod that warned deleted the history of it, so i couldnt get it appealed and lifted.
Glimsom wrote:
Quote by roarinflames
yeah i have a pocket pod
kind of garbage imo

i also have the tonport gx or something
EQ'd the **** out of the distortion to get it not-muddy
although the clean fx tones are pretty to mess with

and sarcasm is kind of not noticeable online lol
i once quoted a guy who called pete wentz a "fag" and got a warning for apparently "calling another user a fag"
to top it off the mod that warned deleted the history of it, so i couldnt get it appealed and lifted.

yeah...you're really comparing apples to apple juice here. one's based on the other, but far, far better. I'll give you a hint, it's not the crispy one.

Don't judge me.
^^ which are we talking about?
Glimsom wrote:
vettas and flextones compared to spiders and pods.

Don't judge me.
ah si
i have yet to try the vetta
i do hear they are great, though i kind of determined for that line 6 isnt exactly my thing

wow we are way off topic lol
Glimsom wrote:
spamming the threads yet again. oops.

Don't judge me.
(sad attempt to get back on topic)
so i heard theres a mod for this pedal thats supposed to be kind of cool
apparently changes mid frequency spectrum or something
Glimsom wrote:
I've heard so many bad things about this pedal (Boss MT-2) and also the Boss DS-1 that I'm scared to even buy any pedal. If I choose to buy a pedal sometime, I'm gonna make sure to take my own amp to the store to try it out before buying it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
^^ that works too

apparently the metalcore is supposed to sound more natural

though i dont want to spend anymore money on pedals right now
Glimsom wrote:
Take it back and get an EQ pedal instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
its the metal zone itself..............
im guessing you used it on a tube amp and Modeling amps + Distortion= crap

here is what you need to do......
sell the Metal Core, Sell the Valvetronix, then Buy a Peavey Vypyr 30w

Why? The Vox sounds far nicer than the Vypyr IMO.
Quote by steven seagull
Take it back and get an EQ pedal instead.

The Vox doesn't have an FX loop. I wouldn't have thought this would change the sound too much.
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Sell the Metal Zone and buy a Metal Muff, best $90 you'll spend in a pedal.

The Metal Muff is overrated and horrible.
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 17, 2009,
You can stick an EQ in front of the amp, they still work fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MustangSVT
I've heard so many bad things about this pedal (Boss MT-2) and also the Boss DS-1 that I'm scared to even buy any pedal. If I choose to buy a pedal sometime, I'm gonna make sure to take my own amp to the store to try it out before buying it.

me too man. but i bought these. I'm moving towards pedals, so i read reviews, watched countless videos, and listened to sound clips. these two sounded the best. so i ordered them. I remember watching a video about the metal muff plus lead (or something to that effect), and I hated the sound so much... ugh it was disgusting. but i really liked the MT-2 and the DS-1. we'll see when I get them.
Quote by Sonic Blast
me too man. but i bought these. I'm moving towards pedals, so i read reviews, watched countless videos, and listened to sound clips. these two sounded the best. so i ordered them. I remember watching a video about the metal muff plus lead (or something to that effect), and I hated the sound so much... ugh it was disgusting. but i really liked the MT-2 and the DS-1. we'll see when I get them.

And you're using a Spider too...

Does anyone learn anything from these threads? Most of the people giving advice here have experience with this kind of stuff, they know what they're talking about.

Enjoy the pedals.
Quote by GNRjungle87
And you're using a Spider too...

Does anyone learn anything from these threads? Most of the people giving advice here have experience with this kind of stuff, they know what they're talking about.

Enjoy the pedals.

It's pretty hard to tell the difference from the people with experience and the people with "experience". I take the advice here with a grain of salt, I don't want to miss out on something good (Like B.C. Rich guitars, for example) because some group of imbeciles with a mob mentality thought they would look cool on the internet telling me how terrible it is. So I can understand why someone might just overlook things like the hate for Spider amps (Which has turned into just hate for Line 6 in general, which is just ****ing stupid), or, as mentioned, B.C. Rich guitars if I, personally, liked the piece of equipment in question. UG's opinion shouldn't be law.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
TS - Have you thought about sending your Metalzone to Keeley or Analogman to get modded? They can take the swarm of angry bees out of your pedal so you can actually hear some distortion.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦