Page 1 of 2
Am I wrong to expect to find musicians who don't get lost the second I mention ANY music theory? Am I wrong when I expect them to know their key signatures, time signatures, chords, and scales? Do these people exist or am I the only ****ing one?

When I ask if you can improvise I mean the correct way. In the key, using a scale, using the CORRECT scale, not by ****ing ear. Is this wrong?

"I don't need that music theory stuff. I just play what sounds good."

**** YOU! It doesn't sound good when you can't stay in the god damned key! Rehearsing with one of you ****ers is like torture. I might as well be speaking ****ing greek!

Yeah, that's great that you're self-taught and all the bull****. I am too! I know what the **** I'm doing, though. I don't give a **** if your favorite band doesn't know music theory! It's the glorification of such bull**** that creates more of you ****ers.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

So yeah, am I wrong?
no you're not wrong, your standards are just too high. not everyone is a theory whiz, or studies it. and what's wrong with doing it by ear, if you get it right?
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
You're cool.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Yes. I'm self taught, not very good on most theory, but at the same time, still manage to play what sounds good. And, surprise surprise, it actually sounds good.

Yes, theory is good to know, but you shouldn't think of yourself as so high and mighty over the people who don't know it.

SRV didn't know any theory, remember.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I don't know theory. I'm working on it but I don't fully understand it.

If you don't wanna jam with people then don't but it'll probably make you look like an ass.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I hate "improv" it's boring as hell.

I'd rather hear a song than someone improving in E

Every time I'm demonstrating a new riff to my band, my rhythm guitarist starts playing ****ty scales over the top of me, which really does my head in
Last edited by Fivebretz at Feb 16, 2009,
yes you are wrong, some people actually could care less about music theory, you don't have to be an ass about it to them
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I think you might be on to something.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Again, because I just overcooked my pizza.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by angusfan16
You seem pissed.

I think something is bothering him.. what could it be?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I agree soooo much. Playing with my church band sucks. The other guitarist just doesn't know his theory. It drives me up a tree
I have absolute pitch, and I'm starting to be able to look at music and hear what it'd sound like when played. TheShroom420 thinks it's amazing. XD
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Go away you self righteous elitist prick. There's plenty of people who don't know theory who can play. I've played since I was 4 and know not a shred of theory outside of knowing scales and time signatures and I play better than you ever will (sounds hypocritical, but I know this is true). Plenty of people, myself included can stay in key by feel alone and don't need to be told what to play by music theory.
I know what you mean.

I was talking to this dude in my class, who "plays" guitar. I started doing some bluesy stuff in A minor, he says "Cool, whats that?" i tell him, he says "Oh, I don't use scales, i use tabs"

blah blah blah you know theory. congratulations.

yes it would be nice if everyone knew everything everyone else did, but they dont.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Do you blow your dad with that mouth?

Shut up. Theory? Moar like queery amirite?
look not everyone knows theory k. personally i think theory is really important and improves your music making ability tons.
and just for the records, i know keys, scales and chord theory but im a total noob at time signature stuff.
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Quote by floppypick
I think something is bothering him.. what could it be?
dunno. sounds like maybe it has something with an insect and his bowels?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Fivebretz
I hate "improv" it's boring as hell.

I'd rather hear a song than someone improving in E

Every time I'm demonstrating a new riff to my band, my rhythm guitarist starts playing ****ty scales over the top of me, which really does my head in

Improv is amazing. You and your band just suck at it.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
you can solo outside of the key... and switch through the modes and stuff... and switch keys while soloing... study some more theory before you start acting like an ass.
I respect people who know theory, and I would like to learn theory for myself sometime, but it's elitism like this that really discourages me from ever playing with other musicians.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Last edited by COBGage at Feb 16, 2009,
If they did it by ear and got it right it would be a lot better. The problem is that they only get it right half the time. %50 isn't good enough, I feel.

I don't think I'm "high and mighty," and I don't think I'm better than these people; they are just ridiculously difficult to work with.

I don't expect them to know as much as I do, but it would be nice if they knew some.

And I'm sure SRV at least knew his scales, but it's not like the music he played required much more. He played the blues for god's sake. Not that I don't like SRV.
It pisses me off. That's why I play jazz. The good jazz players at my school kick ass.

All the rock players I know suck, and can't keep time or read music. It's frustrating.
i think people should know just enough theory that it doesn't hinder their ability to write and play with other guitarists. i personally get a lot of joy out of knowing theory, and applying it to everything i play, whether i write it or not.

it doesn't make you a better guitar player if you know theory, but it does make you an overall better musician.

and saying "oh, hendrix didn't know any theory, and look at him. he's the greatest guitar player ever" isn't a valid excuse to not know theory. people like hendrix knew theory. they didn't have any formal training, but they damn sure took the time to work out scales and note substitutions and stuff before they played any of it.
YOU ARE NOT WRONG AT ALL!
In fact, you're the kind of person I've been looking for!
Now, I'm not gonna lie, I'm no theory god myself, I know like dim. aug. p5, b5, the basic stuff,
But GODDAMNIT!
If you don't know how to solo in the proper key, you end up sounding like any solo written by Kerry King!
(Listen to the solos in "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood", you'll see what I mean.)
It's utter bull****, that's what it is.
People need to learn their theory!
AND basic counting for that matter!
SO many ppl I know don't even know how to do a 16th at a easy tempo!

God****ingdamnit.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by fretsonfire74
Go away you self righteous elitist prick. There's plenty of people who don't know theory who can play. I've played since I was 4 and know not a shred of theory outside of knowing scales and time signatures and I play better than you ever will (sounds hypocritical, but I know this is true). Plenty of people, myself included can stay in key by feel alone and don't need to be told what to play by music theory.

Actually the amount of theory you know would be plenty for me. I don't give a **** if you can play better than me. I know I'm not the greatest player; that's completely fine with me.

Quote by selibucaz
you can solo outside of the key... and switch through the modes and stuff... and switch keys while soloing... study some more theory before you start acting like an ass.

Yeah that's fine when Charlie Parker does it, but when you do it because you don't know any better it sounds like ****.

Quote by led/head
look not everyone knows theory k. personally i think theory is really important and improves your music making ability tons.
and just for the records, i know keys, scales and chord theory but im a total noob at time signature stuff.

That would be plenty of knowledge for me. It's something I can actually work with.
Quote by Eggness
Am I wrong to expect to find musicians who don't get lost the second I mention ANY music theory? Am I wrong when I expect them to know their key signatures, time signatures, chords, and scales? Do these people exist or am I the only ****ing one?

When I ask if you can improvise I mean the correct way. In the key, using a scale, using the CORRECT scale, not by ****ing ear. Is this wrong?

**** YOU! It doesn't sound good when you can't stay in the god damned key! Rehearsing with one of you ****ers is like torture. I might as well be speaking ****ing greek!

Yeah, that's great that you're self-taught and all the bull****. I am too! I know what the **** I'm doing, though. I don't give a **** if your favorite band doesn't know music theory! It's the glorification of such bull**** that creates more of you ****ers.

So yeah, am I wrong?

no.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by Babbs
i think people should know just enough theory that it doesn't hinder their ability to write and play with other guitarists. i personally get a lot of joy out of knowing theory, and applying it to everything i play, whether i write it or not.

it doesn't make you a better guitar player if you know theory, but it does make you an overall better musician.

and saying "oh, hendrix didn't know any theory, and look at him. he's the greatest guitar player ever" isn't a valid excuse to not know theory. people like hendrix knew theory. they didn't have any formal training, but they damn sure took the time to work out scales and note substitutions and stuff before they played any of it.

You said it much better/less angry than I did. Thank you.

Quote by Rojam
YOU ARE NOT WRONG AT ALL!
In fact, you're the kind of person I've been looking for!
Now, I'm not gonna lie, I'm no theory god myself, I know like dim. aug. p5, b5, the basic stuff,
But GODDAMNIT!
If you don't know how to solo in the proper key, you end up sounding like any solo written by Kerry King!
(Listen to the solos in "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood", you'll see what I mean.)
It's utter bull****, that's what it is.
People need to learn their theory!
AND basic counting for that matter!
SO many ppl I know don't even know how to do a 16th at a easy tempo!

God****ingdamnit.

I love you.

**** Kerry King.
Last edited by Eggness at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Eggness

Yeah that's fine when Charlie Parker does it, but when you do it because you don't know any better it sounds like ****.

ok... good you understand what i mean lol
I'm self taught, and I know my theory. I feel like it's necessary to advance further musically to know AT LEAST the basics.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
dunno. sounds like maybe it has something with an insect and his bowels?

Maybe a cock...roach found a way into his ass.... bowels?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Eggness

So yeah, am I wrong?

Okay, calm down little man, take a timeout, you've been penalized for excessive '****'s
I am
Immortal

I have inside me

Dude TONS of famous artist don't know any theory. But, they did have good ears and a sense of rhythm. Also, it sounds like the people you're working with are overconfident wankers.
Page 1 of 2