Page 1 of 2
Me and a pal are starting a record label.

No, it's not some half-assed idea we cooked up out of boredom lounging around the apartment. We have five acts we plan on putting on the label. This is a label to put out anything we deem original or experimental. No Metal bands, no hardcore, Punk, sappy John Mayer acoustic music, uninspired Folk music or anything that's "Rock and Roll." If it sounds like nothing we've ever heard, we'll put it out. Me, my friend, plus the five music acts we have already plan on doing a label launch show sometime in a few months. We're not doing this for recognition, and frankly we don't care if we lose money doing this. We just want to discover unknown local bands that we can be passionate about, record them, and help them with shows.

But we're at a loss for a name.
Any suggestions will be considered.
I know it's rather pathetic asking strangers to name something so personal, but any suggestions will be considered seeing as we have several options. I'm just interested in reading what you folk would name a label.
Poor advice.
Stellar Leg Records?
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
"We're Better Than You, You and Your Conformity" Records

I don't even care how big it is, given the chance, I would get my ass signed to that label.
I think if you really want a good name, we'll need some more specific info. I don't know what, but something.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
'1 Records'. Before A, AAA, and Aardvark Records
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by SunDrop
0 degrees records (before 1,A,AAA)

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
More info:

We're shooting for a label to put out mostly experimental music. The Dayton, Ohio scene is plagued with awful Metalcore bands and Indie bands who want to sound like that last terrible Brand New record. My band will be on it, and I hate to classify what we do by comparing ourselves to other bands, but I guess youc ould say there are shades of Sonic Youth and Broken Social Scene. Another friend of mine will be on it, who's an amazing songwriter, in an Elliott Smith-ish sense, and there's another band who remind me of Mogwai's earlier (better) albums.

Basically we don't want to put out stale and stagnant music.
Like I said, no heavy music, unless it's really really creative (which is unlikely)
Poor advice.
PIToresque Records.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Where are you guys based? If this takes off I definitely have some experimental stuff me and my friend are working on to send you.

EDIT: Oh, Ohio.
Last edited by xaviergray at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook

THIS!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook

Win
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
Quote by stellar_legs
More info:

We're shooting for a label to put out mostly experimental music. The Dayton, Ohio scene is plagued with awful Metalcore bands and Indie bands who want to sound like that last terrible Brand New record. My band will be on it, and I hate to classify what we do by comparing ourselves to other bands, but I guess youc ould say there are shades of Sonic Youth and Broken Social Scene. Another friend of mine will be on it, who's an amazing songwriter, in an Elliott Smith-ish sense, and there's another band who remind me of Mogwai's earlier (better) albums.

Basically we don't want to put out stale and stagnant music.
Like I said, no heavy music, unless it's really really creative (which is unlikely)

you're worthless.

but the fact that you're trying to avoid being "stagnant" the word nomadic comes to mind. if you wanted to try to fit that word in, it'd be kinda cool.

Another little note:

Whatever the bands make on merch, ticket and record sales, they get to keep every bit of it. Like I said, we're not doing this for money at all, we just want to form a tight knit community of Dayton musicians who are likeminded.
Poor advice.
how exactly are you gonna make money to keep the label running?

I was going to help you, but then you insulted Brand New They're one of the most original, innovative bands out there, IMO. Except for their first album, of course. That was pretty generic.

****************** Records

Before everything.
kill all humans
#*0/10 records

then your slogan can be.

we'll be bankrupt in hours.
or your money back.
ZZ Records

then you can be last in the phonebook

don't know why you'd want that

but do it anyway
Quote by Its_Rock77
how exactly are you gonna make money to keep the label running?

We have a great recording studio which we plan on using.
We know people.
And advertising and promotions will not be hard for us, believe me.

Quote by alaskan_ninja
I was going to help you, but then you insulted Brand New They're one of the most original, innovative bands out there, IMO. Except for their first album, of course. That was pretty generic.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to me Brand New have grown incredibly embarassed by their Pop Punk past and want to distance themselves by recording music that would've been at home on their influences' records. When I listened to TDAGARIM I could say, "Okay, this is Modest Mouse, this is Radiohead, this is the Smiths." I don't see any growth with that album at all. Just a darker tone and a a shoddier "lo-fi" hallway recording. That's not growth to me.

We're not going to go bankrupt because there's no money involved.
It's not that hard to grasp.
We give bands a great recording, help them book shows, promote, etc. all that jazz and they keep the money they make, and since MY band will be involved, we'll keep whatever money we make. We're forming a "group" to get thinsg done ourselves. A DIY ethic. It's not hard to grasp.
Poor advice.
to be a lable you better have money to support your bands

studio time
managers
tour
van/bus
merch ect
sounds like a good idea man.

but how about instead of the Pit, you ask your promised acts what their opinions are. make it more personal. and most likely get a better, more serious name out of it

Quote by Guitar Skater
to be a lable you better have money to support your bands

studio time
tour
van/bus
merch ect

Covered.

Studio time is free, and there's really no need for managers. Once again (and for the last time), this isn't so much a record label as much as it is just a small community of original musicians with a DYI ethic to their music. We put so much in, they put so much in. The majority our friends of mine.
Poor advice.
We have a name now.
Which is private for the time being.

Feel free to just discuss this topic.
And feel free to just turn this into a general record label thread (favorite labels, etc).
Poor advice.
Do you have ANY idea how much money you have to be willing to invest? AT LEAST 100's of grands. I can't elaborate right now but I can tell you a LOT that you need to know later. I have a college class dedicated to this only.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
PM me please? I'm intrigued.

You will only sign experimental bands that no one listens too? Good luck turning a profit.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Experimental records.
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)