Page 1 of 2
How do they play, I've played the 1,000 dollar version, and it's extremly nice, but how is the 700 dollar version of it? It'd be a lot easier to afford.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by Pac_man0123
Honestly i think the fact that they're selling the Standard for $700 is ridiculous. LFR, bolt-on.. cheaped out on pretty much everything they could and didn't lower the price to make up for it.

Whats your deal with the floyd Rose, it truly isnt that bad...and the bolt-on isnt that big of a deal to me, because honestly, the one I have now has a bolt on, and i've played guitars without bolt on, i don't see much difference.
My gear:

Schecter C1 plus
Quote by dwmacfar2
Whats your deal with the floyd Rose, it truly isnt that bad...and the bolt-on isnt that big of a deal to me, because honestly, the one I have now has a bolt on, and i've played guitars without bolt on, i don't see much difference.

It's an LFR. I just think the amount they downgraded compared to the price difference just doesn't add up to be worth it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
It's an LFR. I just think the amount they downgraded compared to the price difference just doesn't add up to be worth it.

300 bucks. The pick ups are different (but not by much), bolt on, (i see how that could be a difference), and the floyd rose. I dont think its that big a difference.
My gear:

Schecter C1 plus
Quote by dwmacfar2
300 bucks. The pick ups are different (but not by much), bolt on, (i see how that could be a difference), and the floyd rose. I dont think its that big a difference.

Well, you've obviously already made up your mind. Why bother asking if you're going to argue with the opinions you wanted?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Well, you've obviously already made up your mind. Why bother asking if you're going to argue with the opinions you wanted?

Well I really want to know about the pickups, if they reall do make that big of a difference. And if the original floyd rose really makes THAT big of a difference, I'd like to know.
My gear:

Schecter C1 plus
Eh, I think the Syn standard is grossly overpriced. The only thing it has on the Syn Custom is sustain, due to bolt-on neck. But I'd take a neck thru any day, because of the lack of a heel.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
the pickups will make a big difference. the $300 is worth paying for better craftsmanship, ofr, and original pickups.. only if you really like ax7; in other case, i would suggest looking elsewhere
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
the pickups will make a big difference. the $300 is worth paying for better craftsmanship, ofr, and original pickups.. only if you really like ax7; in other case, i would suggest looking elsewhere

Or Floyds + Avenger Shape.

They don't come with a Floyd.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Yeah,the standard is a grossly overpriced guitar.A licensed FR,Duncan Design pickups,and a bolt on neck for 700 dollars? No thanks. In general I think that both the syn models are overpriced,Schecter makes better guitars for less money IMO.Who wants a guitar covered in the tacky aesthetics of some other guitarist? I think you'd be better off going for one of the hellraiser avenger models with an OFR that they released,but they might be hard to fin d since they were a limited run.

Something like this:

Massive pic is massive!

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 16, 2009,
Why not get something else with the same features? That guitar is horribly ugly! Plus you can get the same features and playability on something else for a lot cheaper.

And don't call me a hypocrite for having a JS100, I bought it used and didn't know anything about satch when I bought it.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah,the standard is a grossly overpriced guitar.A licensed FR,Duncan Design pickups,and a bolt on neck for 700 dollars? No thanks. In general I think that both the syn models are overpriced,Schecter makes better guitars for less money IMO.Who wants a guitar covered in the tacky aesthetics of some other guitarist? I think you'd be better off going for one of the hellraiser avenger models with an OFR that they released,but they might be hard to fin d since they were a limited run.

Something like this:

Massive pic is massive!

I'd assume that these are better anyway, as EMGs are awesome, especially compared to Duncan Invaders.

Here's the link:
http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-DCGL-Exclusive-Model-DIAMOND-SERIES-HELLRAISER-Avenger-FR-Black-Cherry-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P2001C286.aspx
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I find that these tend to be better anyway, as EMGs are awesome, especially compared to Duncan Invaders.

I agree.Better looks (no stupid a7x graphics plastered all over the poor thing),the same trem, and a set of EMG actives with coil splitting features makes the avenger HR FR the better guitar.It's also 100 dollars cheaper since there isn't a name attached to it.I personally dislike Invader pickups,they sound muddy and uneven to me,I'd take some EMG's over them any day.There's also models like the stiletto classic,which is arguably the best production model that Schecter is making right now IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I agree.Better looks (no stupid a7x graphics plastered all over the poor thing),the same trem, and a set of EMG actives with coil splitting features makes the avenger HR FR the better guitar.It's also 100 dollars cheaper since there isn't a name attached to it.I personally dislike Invader pickups,they sound muddy and uneven to me,I'd take some EMG's over them any day.There's also models like the stiletto classic,which is arguably the best production model that Schecter is making right now IMO.

Meh, I don't mind the looks, as an A7X fan, I'd just take EMGs over ****ty SD Invaders, ANY DAY.
Especially since EMGs are part of my tone already :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Meh, I don't mind the looks, as an A7X fan, I'd just take EMGs over ****ty SD Invaders, ANY DAY.

I have a different outlook on sig models than you I guess.I don't mind a signature on the headstock and maybe some of the artists features,but when it's covered in graphics from their band I hate them.It's like the guitar is never actually yours,and it just makes you look like a rabid fan boy by default.But yes,EMG's pwn Invaders,especially EMG's with coil splitting capabilities.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I have a different outlook on sig models than you I guess.I don't mind a signature on the headstock and maybe some of the artists features,but when it's covered in graphics from their band I hate them.It's like the guitar is never actually yours,and it just makes you look like a rabid fan boy by default.But yes,EMG's pwn Invaders,especially EMG's with coil splitting capabilities.

Yep, I use the 81TW in my BC Rich

Also, it's not really covered in A7X graphics, just the 12th fret inlay being a giant Deathbat.
Zacky V's Schecter is covered in graphics lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Well the invaders on the Syn are custom-wound apparently, not the same... idk though.

TS, my point wasn't comparing the custom and standard models, it was comparing the standard model's features and price compared to other guitars you can get with BETTER features for the same price and even less.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Yep, I use the 81TW in my BC Rich

Also, it's not really covered in A7X graphics, just the 12th fret inlay being a giant Deathbat.
Zacky V's Schecter is covered in graphics lol.

The one with all the deathbat things all over it? God I hate that guitar haha.The syn has that logo,the pinstripes (which would be cool by themselves),and the word SYN.All of that adds up to just being way to tied to the artist.They should release some Avengers with just the pinstripes and some EMG pups,I bet those would be gone in a heartbeat.

Quote by Pr0gNut
The one with all the deathbat things all over it? God I hate that guitar haha.The syn has that logo,the pinstripes (which would be cool by themselves),and the word SYN.All of that adds up to just being way to tied to the artist.They should release some Avengers with just the pinstripes and some EMG pups,I bet those would be gone in a heartbeat.

For sure, I'd buy one.
If they made them in lefty >_>
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
i think the SYN guitars are just gross, even more so the Zacky ones, could get better schecters for the same price.

The syn standard seems over priced. Pickups and an LFR, pluss there is probs a quality diff. the neck difference is really only with access.

Theres been some studies and a thread that does a good job of explaining that set, thru and bolt ons dont do too much to sustain. Though obviously most set necks are higher quality guitars so the sustain is still affected.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
i think the SYN guitars are just gross, even more so the Zacky ones, could get better schecters for the same price.

The syn standard seems over priced. Pickups and an LFR, pluss there is probs a quality diff. the neck difference is really only with access.

Theres been some studies and a thread that does a good job of explaining that set, thru and bolt ons dont do too much to sustain. Though obviously most set necks are higher quality guitars so the sustain is still affected.

Contrary to popular belief, set neck doesn't mean higher quality, it just means less heel.
In fact, tonally, and in terms of sustain, bolt on is better than set, and in terms of sustain, it's also better than neck thru.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Contrary to popular belief, set neck doesn't mean higher quality, it just means less heel.
In fact, tonally, and in terms of sustain, bolt on is better than set, and in terms of sustain, it's also better than neck thru.

I would have to dispute that... on average, set necks and bolt-ons have the same size heel, given that there are deep-cut set necks (early PRS), deep cut bolt-ons (Ibanez's AANJ), shallow set necks (Gibson LPs) and shallow bolt-ons (Fenders). Neck-thrus also have the bridge acoustically coupled to the neck more so than bolt-ons do simply because they are on the same piece of wood, not two pieces attached by way of hardware or hide glue. Just my $.02 though - I don't let neck attachment method make or break a guitar for me. I will say, however, that I enjoy having the maintenance and mod-ability convenience of a bolt-on.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
The avenged whit Fr is a prototype.

I dont think you can afford that.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I would have to dispute that... on average, set necks and bolt-ons have the same size heel, given that there are deep-cut set necks (early PRS), deep cut bolt-ons (Ibanez's AANJ), shallow set necks (Gibson LPs) and shallow bolt-ons (Fenders). Neck-thrus also have the bridge acoustically coupled to the neck more so than bolt-ons do simply because they are on the same piece of wood, not two pieces attached by way of hardware or hide glue. Just my $.02 though - I don't let neck attachment method make or break a guitar for me. I will say, however, that I enjoy having the maintenance and mod-ability convenience of a bolt-on.

I own one guitar with a set neck, and two with bolt ons.
The heel on the set-neck guitar is much smaller.
*shrug*
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
I own the Custom model, and it's worth the extra $$$ for the Custom model. I'm picky as about my guitars, and it suits me perfectly. The FR is stable, the tone is good, the feel of it is great, the neck is perfect (unless you're used to thin necks like Ibanez, it might feel a little odd at first) and the coil-taps are really noticeable. The only thing I don't like is that it only has 1 volume and 1 tone knob.

The Standard is over-priced.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The Syn custom version? It's only $200 more i think...

No, the Avenger FR we posted a while back.
They have them for $900 at Drum City Guitar Land:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-DCGL-Exclusive-Model-DIAMOND-SERIES-HELLRAISER-Avenger-FR-Black-Cherry-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P2001C286.aspx

Better anyway, same specs, but with EMG-81TW/89 as opposed to Duncan Invaders, plus a quilt top.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Mo Jiggity

there was a scientific study that proved that bolt-ons have more sustain. search bar it there was a huge thread about it
Well I got a chance to get the NON custom for 350! I'm a huge A7X fan so this is awesome to me. But because I'd be paying 150 and my parents 200 for my b-day, they think it's overpriced at $350 and I dont need a new guitar...
My gear:

Schecter C1 plus
Quote by ironman1478
there was a scientific study that proved that bolt-ons have more sustain. search bar it there was a huge thread about it

Couldn't find the thread, but either way that simply doesn't make sense. Additionally, the only way to conduct a truly thorough scientific test would be to build three guitars out of the same specimen of wood and hardware, and change only the method of neck attachment, which I highly doubt was not the case in whatever "experiment" you happen to be referencing. There are a multitude of factors contributing to sustain besides neck attachment method, and without eliminating them it's impossible to make a judgment.

That aside I'd LOVE to know how it would be possible for two pieces of wood bolted together to sustain more than a single piece of wood with both ends of the string anchored on said same piece of wood, assuming ideal conditions as described above. It simply wouldn't happen.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Additionally, the only way to conduct a truly thorough scientific test would be to build three guitars out of the same specimen of wood and hardware, and change only the method of neck attachment, which I highly doubt was not the case in whatever "experiment" you happen to be referencing.

Thanks for agreeing then.
:P

Anyway, everyone has seen the thread, it was identical guitars, it was proven, etc.

tl;dr (I'd hope not), Bolt-On sustains best.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Couldn't find the thread, but either way that simply doesn't make sense. Additionally, the only way to conduct a truly thorough scientific test would be to build three guitars out of the same specimen of wood and hardware, and change only the method of neck attachment, which I highly doubt was not the case in whatever "experiment" you happen to be referencing. There are a multitude of factors contributing to sustain besides neck attachment method, and without eliminating them it's impossible to make a judgment.

That aside I'd LOVE to know how it would be possible for two pieces of wood bolted together to sustain more than a single piece of wood with both ends of the string anchored on said same piece of wood, assuming ideal conditions as described above. It simply wouldn't happen.

It doesn't really matter,the sustain differences between the three are nominal at best.Neck thru wont sustain for days and a bolt on wont have the note die out 2 seconds after you hit it like some seem to think on here.I personally prefer bolt on necks because they can be replaced/repaired easier and have a satin or oil finish instead of a heavy gloss that I hate.I need to look into oiled neck thru guitars....Carvin here I come.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It doesn't really matter,the sustain differences between the three are nominal at best.Neck thru wont sustain for days and a bolt on wont have the note die out 2 seconds after you hit it like some seem to think on here.I personally prefer bolt on necks because they can be replaced/repaired easier and have a satin or oil finish instead of a heavy gloss that I hate.I need to look into oiled neck thru guitars....Carvin here I come.

My friend Joel has a Dean Cadillac from the 80s or 90s with a set neck and a satin finish on the neck, and Kirk Hammett has a neck-through KH-2 with a gloss finish neck. It can be done lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
So back on topic, I found a used version at a local guitar store for 350. It's the standard, I played the custom, and it was NICE. I dont care if you guys hated the price, it sounded nicee. I may get this if I can, also the graphics are nice to me, cause I'm an A7X fan :P
My gear:

Schecter C1 plus
Quote by Justice4AllOne
My friend Joel has a Dean Cadillac from the 80s or 90s with a set neck and a satin finish on the neck, and Kirk Hammett has a neck-through KH-2 with a gloss finish neck. It can be done lol.

I know,it just seems that the majority of set and neck thru instruments have either painted or heavily glossed necks,which sucks for me.I hate that sticky and artificial feeling they have,it sucks compared to the feel of a satin finished neck that has been broken into a light gloss or an oiled neck.I mentioned Carvin simply for the fact that they're the cheapest company I can thin of that offers tung-oiled neck thru guitars.You can get one for like 600 used,which is a pretty sweet deal even though their pups are kinda bland.

^^No, the rest gave saved the thread, the Syn Custom sucks. I'd get the Hellraiser Avenger FR.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Pr0gNut

Something like this:

Massive pic is massive!

Wow! thats a great looking guitar!
^ It really is,I just wish there wasn't an inch of thick gloss all over the poor thing,such a deal breaker for me.

Page 1 of 2