Ok so I needed to change acoustic strings for the first time. I got some Ernie Ball Coated Light Slinkys 11-52 gauge.

They sound very bright but I had a problem with the new string gauge. I had to tighten the tuners more so it caused the neck to bend more and the strings lifted themselves off the fretboard, so it's really hard to play sometimes. In addition, the intonation is completely messed up now.

I can easily adjust the screws on my electric to fit a new string gauge, but how is it done on an acoustic? Does it have anything to do with adjusting the truss rod? Should I take it to the shop and let them handle it?

Thanks
sounds to me like you need to adjust the truss rod, not the bridge

what type of acoustic was it? if it's relatively cheap, just do it yourself
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
sounds to me like you need to adjust the truss rod, not the bridge what type of acoustic was it? if it's relatively cheap, just do it yourself

why does it matter if it's cheap or not? that might be all he can afford, which means he can't afford to replace it. It sounds like a truss rod problem yes, if you have no idea how to do it, refer to someone you know who does to show, don't just guess.
Last edited by PollyWntsCrack at Feb 16, 2009,
click the green link in my sig.

check neck relief. see if you can fit more than a credit card in the middle gap.

then post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011