Whats a good Clone? I have a Swollen Pickle and I like it but there has to be a better clone than the Pickle. I mean they arent as good as the true Way Huge pedals. Maybe something handmade and equipped with the best components. Maybe Opamp? I'll sell my Pickle on ebay. I do know of the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz as a clone but is there more that compare? I need pedals to look at so help me out guys.

Budget is less than $200 which should be easy. I could just get a real Opamp Muff but I really want smaller footprint pedals. I purchased a catalinbread V8 Fuzz tone Engine and a HBE Mos Dos yesterday off Ebay so a NPD is just days away. Help me fix my Super GAS that I have right now.
Last edited by Titans36 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

Anyway, could you not get a REAL Vintage Bif Muff for under 200?
Not a Ram's Head or Triangle. I'm not sure about the late 70s muffs, though I'd assume they'd be more then $200 as well, but the original Ram's Head and Triangle muffs go for more than that.

You can probably find a green Sovtek muff from the 90s for around $150, and those are definitely worth checking out.

You also could look into a BYOC Large Beaver, with which you can build either a Triangle or Ram's Head. I think there are youtube videos floating around comparing the BYOC to an original Triangle and Ram's Head, and I have to say, the BYOC sounds exactly the same, and maybe even better to my ears. Some more options are an Absolutely Analog Green Russian (clone of the green Sovtek muffs), or even a Skreddy Top Fuel (if you can find a Pink Flesh used that's another option, but I'd assume those are pretty expensive now that they're discontinued).

I've found some clips comparing all these pedals and a few more non-muff distortion/fuzz pedals if you're interested.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I'm guessing you're from TN?

Anyway, could you not get a REAL Vintage Bif Muff for under 200?

I'm sure I could...Is this supposed to be useful?

P.S. heres one...http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Big-Muff-Pi-Op-Amp-True-Bypass-Filtered-LED_W0QQitemZ160316266848QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by Titans36 at Feb 16, 2009,
^^So it looks like I was wrong about the late 70s muffs

You might also want to check out the Barber Trifecta. It's a Triangle Muff, Jumbo Bender, and Suppa Bender in one.
Quote by Thefallofman
^ Will do...I think that Muff I found on Ebay is a Deal if you ask me. Ive read that the version with the Opamp is one of the best sounding versions. Might be the best version to some ppl.
+1 to the BYOC Muffs. I have a BYOC Ram's Head and have played a Large Beaver, and they are WICKED pedals. The Ram's Head can get so ridiculously heavy, I love it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I'm not good at soldering. I cant spend almost $100 on something I'll probably tear up. I'm looking for a boutique Vintage Muff clone.
^^Soldering is really simple, plus they give you a free booster to help you learn.

Or you could just buy a pre-built one.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^Soldering is really simple, plus they give you a free booster to help you learn.

Or you could just buy a pre-built one.

Check this out homie.

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page2.html

Pre-built BYOC clone to Triangle or Ram's Head specs, painted by none other than Laura Bennett, the artist who paints ZVex pedals. This will look, and more importantly, sound absolutely sick. I've built 8 or so of the BYOC kits and they're the real deal.

-J!
^^Those are the ones I was referring to in my first post. The Large Beaver (especially the Ram's Head) sounds great.
Quote by Thefallofman