Hi ,

I would like some suggestions for a computer that will heavily be for recording music. The price range I'm aiming for is 600 usd and under or a little above. Also I would like suggestions for easy to use reliable software for recording like cakewalk or whatever.

thanks guys

btw, i did use the search bar and i didn't find anything that specifically answer my guestions.

sorry for bad grammar and spelling
Unfortunately I have nothing I would recommend under $600...
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
Unfortunately I have nothing I would recommend under $600...

well what would recommend in general
computer thread, dork.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by -tempest-
well what would recommend in general

p4 quadcore at least 3ghz, 4gb ram, >320gb hard drive
sounds right to me.
Quote by tona_107
sounds right to me.

alright thanks man it seems like no one else here wants to help haha

edit: btw double post... dork
Last edited by -tempest- at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by -tempest-
alright thanks man it seems like no one else here wants to help haha

edit: btw double post... dork

why the fuck do you care, bumps your thread, dork.
editing takes too long anyways.
reaper is free software and it's pretty reliable. as for a computer id say at least dual core, at least 2GB ram, the more HD space the better. video card doesn't matter, but sound card/recording interface will greatly
Quote by tona_107
why the fuck do you care, bumps your thread, dork.
editing takes too long anyways.

Editing takes about the same time... and he was only kidding around, no need to get aggressive.

A really high spec is great for a recording computer, but it isn't essential. Axemanchris will tell you how he recorded his bands album on a less than ideal machine.

Realistically though, (and I'm not a computer wizard, so I'd wait for someone who knows more than I do) I'd go for a dual core machine, doesn't need to be massive, mine is only Core Duo 1.73GHz and that copes easily, you'll probably want more nowadays though. 2 - 3 GB or RAM is ample, and a 160GB hard drive should be ok to start with.

Try not to clog up the computer with unnecessary crap, that's the best thing you can do to ensure a good recording machine.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Editing takes about the same time... and he was only kidding around, no need to get aggressive.

A really high spec is great for a recording computer, but it isn't essential. Axemanchris will tell you how he recorded his bands album on a less than ideal machine.

Realistically though, (and I'm not a computer wizard, so I'd wait for someone who knows more than I do) I'd go for a dual core machine, doesn't need to be massive, mine is only Core Duo 1.73GHz and that copes easily, you'll probably want more nowadays though. 2 - 3 GB or RAM is ample, and a 160GB hard drive should be ok to start with.

Try not to clog up the computer with unnecessary crap, that's the best thing you can do to ensure a good recording machine.

meh, editing takes forever when you`re including a quote.

keep in mind that you`re probably running xp, if he gets a new computer, chances are he`ll be running vista, and he`ll need upwards of 2 ghz. Anything running windows you will need more than 2ghz these days.
ALSO vista uses up more than a gig of ram itself, for example I`ve never seen my computer use less than 1.5gb of ram at once, and most recording programs (not necessarily things like fruity loops) but things like protools, are VERY cpu intensive, and chances that he`ll be able to run anything decent with less than 3gb of ram are not very high.

and if you acknowledge that your opinion is not worth anything then why bother giving it?
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by tona_107
sounds right to me.

most audio software can't effectively utilize a 64 bit processor or a quad core, you'd be fine with a core duo and 3 gigs of RAM. I would also suggest at least a 500GB HD and make sure you get a good soundcard that is designed for pro audio and not Hi-Fi.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by tona_107
meh, editing takes forever when you`re including a quote.

keep in mind that you`re probably running xp, if he gets a new computer, chances are he`ll be running vista, and he`ll need upwards of 2 ghz. Anything running windows you will need more than 2ghz these days.
ALSO vista uses up more than a gig of ram itself, for example I`ve never seen my computer use less than 1.5gb of ram at once, and most recording programs (not necessarily things like fruity loops) but things like protools, are VERY cpu intensive, and chances that he`ll be able to run anything decent with less than 3gb of ram are not very high.

and if you acknowledge that your opinion is not worth anything then why bother giving it?

First of all, I didn't say my opinion is worth nothing, I said I wasn't an expert.

Secondly, Vista does not take 1GB itself, as my laptop only has 1GB of RAM, and that runs Vista fine, with Cubase and plenty of vsts, so you're wrong there.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
First of all, I didn't say my opinion is worth nothing, I said I wasn't an expert.

Secondly, Vista does not take 1GB itself, as my laptop only has 1GB of RAM, and that runs Vista fine, with Cubase and plenty of vsts, so you're wrong there.

meh, he's sort of right, Vista can take up a lot that it uses to keep commonly used apps and whatnot in sort of a "standby" mode so they execute faster, but if you are doing something RAM intensive like recording/audio editing, it will allocate more RAM to that.

Last.fm
DO NOT run vista unless you really need the eye candy.

The specs you need depends on the projects your working on.

I have a macbook pro, 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram. All the works and I max it out (stopping playback in logic and productivity in general) surprisingly often when mixing.

I do run some seriously heavy duty plug-ins and A LOT of them. But even still. Just take that into account..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
You can't expect much for performance for $600. If you really want to get serious with recording/production, you need a MacBook Pro. On top of being the most structurally sound and compact laptop, the OSX operating system is geared toward music production and has built-in software to connect your recording hardware without having to worry about drivers or incompatibility because Macs are the industry standard for music production.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You can't expect much for performance for $600. If you really want to get serious with recording/production, you need a MacBook Pro. On top of being the most structurally sound and compact laptop, the OSX operating system is geared toward music production and has built-in software to connect your recording hardware without having to worry about drivers or incompatibility because Macs are the industry standard for music production.

This is a load of crap, Macs haven't been industry standard for about 5 or 6 years now, they still have a good chunk of the market share when it comes to the pro audio industry, but nowadays anything you can do on a mac you can do on a PC for less money, and with more hardware and software options.

Last.fm
A regular macbook will do just aswell as a macbook pro in this instance. The only disadvantage to the macbook is the slightly smaller screen and lack of graphics card (basicly..) and neither of these things have a detrimental effect to music production.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)