I want to really develop downpicking really fast and tight, but I dont know what I should learn first to start it off with. Should I start of with learning punk bands like Ramones and Misfits, or should I learn stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, etc.. for downpicking? Also you can give me more helpful tips with downpicking too

Thank you everyone for your help.
Quote by tranzilethix
Here's some advice. When you're downpicking, don't uppick.

That seems right to me.
The best way is to set up a metronome and pick eighth notes along to the click. Just keep speeding up the click while keeping your hits even and consistent. Eventually you'll get really fast at it. Whenever you're not doing anything, just have your guitar strapped on and be downpicking the E string at an quick evem tempo, it will help to train the muscles.
Last edited by Vlasco at Feb 16, 2009,
Yeah why would you want to learn to play in a more inefficient manor thats just silly.
master of puppets is a good song to build your downpick..and to soulinfector, it gives a better sound imo....start out slow, and gradually go faster until you're going as fast as you can, and then gradually slow down, then repeat until you cant anymore, it helps control your picking better and helps build muscle
Learn intro to Master of Puppets, then up the speed until your hand feels like it's about to fall off, or, until you can no longer play it.
For those here to criticize sarcastically my question is only irrelevant for what im asking for. I just want know what to practice to help me focus on downpicking. Thank you for the mature responses of the ones here.
So should I start of with the punk stuff like Ramones or Misfits, or the metal stuff like Metallica, Slayer for the downpicking? ( Just for the recommended opinions)
Easy on the high and mighty garbage swordsman i'll criticize sarcastically as i see fit
Just find a fast song you like and force yourself to downpick it perfectly at full speed or or faster.

I did this with Extreme Unction by Necrophagist(alright, so I didn't do the solo). Note: You'll only make progress learning material that you like.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Don't listen to those wankers man. Yeah the best thing to do is just do the metronome thing or even just when you're watching tv or something downpick idly for like 5 minutes straight, rest for a minute and do it again.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by ComradeIronMan
Just find a fast song you like and force yourself to downpick it perfectly at full speed or or faster.

I did this with Extreme Unction by Necrophagist(alright, so I didn't do the solo). Note: You'll only make progress learning material that you like.

That's a crock of sh*t.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
When I first started playin guitar and was gettin my downpicking up to par, it was Master of Puppets for me too
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."