Ok, I'm probably going to get a new guitar soon and I just love the Les Paul style guitar. at first, I wanted a Gibson Les Paul but then I realized hoe expensive they where so I looked into Epiphone guitars. I played a few Epiphone Les Pauls today at the music store and really liked the feel and sound of them. The only thing I don't really like is the kinda old look they have. And I don't like the pick guard very much. I havent tryed these, but I've been looking at the Artist series guitars from Ibanez. I love the modern sort of look they have. I was just wondering how the Ibanez art series guitars hey compare to the Epiphone Les paul guitars. What one is a better deal? What one sounds the best? I like to play stuff Like As I Lay Dying, Metallica, Haste the Day, destroy the runner and that sorta thing.

Here are some links to the different guitars that I was looking at. It would be awesome if I could get some feedback on what guitars you would get if you where me.

Ibanez ART100: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-ART100

Ibanez ART300: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-ART300

Epiphone Les Paul Standard: http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=44&CollectionID=6
epi
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Have you looked at Agiles?

I prefer the Ibanez models.
Last edited by jake911 at Feb 17, 2009,
How strange that you loved the look of the Gibson Les Paul, but didn't like the look of the Epiphone. They're pretty similar.

But hey, if you're just buying a guitar on looks, you've already ignored the one that you liked the sound and feel of, just go for whatever looks cool and you'll be happy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Whichever you like the most.
You can find some pretty damn awesome epi LP's, but some pretty crap ones too.
███████████████████████████████████
for the stuff you play i'd save a little more and get an ltd ec-500 if you like the les paul shape.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by AlanHB
How strange that you loved the look of the Gibson Les Paul, but didn't like the look of the Epiphone. They're pretty similar.

But hey, if you're just buying a guitar on looks, you've already ignored the one that you liked the sound and feel of, just go for whatever looks cool and you'll be happy.

I'm saying that I didn't like certain things about the Les Paul. I think the pick guard looks fine but its unnecessary in my opinion. And the Gibson and Epiphone les pauls look almost identical. When I said Les Paul I basically meant both brands. And I'm not going to buy a guitar just because it looks cool to me. I'm going to buy one that looks good, feels good and sounds good to me.
I love my art 300, but it does have active pickups which is not everyones cup of tea but that would be (and actually was) my choice.

Personal preference for me out of the 2 passive pickup guitars is still the Ibanez. I liked the neck of the Art-100 alot better, the Art-100's body is less "chuncky" and more contoured so it felt more comfortable than the LP.

I also prefer the overall look of the Art series guitars, understated, nice.
Take a look a the Epiphone Prophecy series, they would be great for the stuff you play. They are also more similar to the Ibanez in looks, without the pick guard and stuff.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
You CAN take the pickguard off the epi - you'll be left with holes, but hey, some people like that kinda thing.

Other Les Paul-ish brands to consider are: Spear, ESP (Metallica's choice) and Indie - all great brands. Indies are hard to get in the US, so if that's where you are, replace them with Agile (bargains!), which are similar.

Ibanezes are good guitars, but they definitely should be played before any money is spent on them - completely different feel (and sound) to the Epis. The specs of the guitar are similar in theory, except the pickups (do you want actives or passives?), but really, buying guitars off the internet is stupid if you could go try one instead, as is most guitar related advice, so really - go try those guitars.
Quote by AlanHB

Yeah, try identical :p
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actives have a built in pre amp that beefs up your signal. They run off of a 9v battery. Passives work off of resistance of signal.
The jury is out on which is better. Some people prefer actives, and some prefer passives.
Some think actives make the sound too sterile. ie.. actives amplify the string vibrations so much that it takes the actual tonal properties of the guitar out of the equation. The Metallica dudes swear by actives though. I like them all, it just depends on my mood at the time.
Quote by jake911
Have you looked at Agiles?

I prefer the Ibanez models.

+1 for the Agile vote
Quote by Mad Mike 829
+1 for the Agile vote

I looked at their site for the first time last night. They have some really nice looking stuff!
Go with, Ibanez...My only reason is that it seams to me the Epiphones are heavier....I can't play standing up with a really heavy guitar. That's why I have a Strat....
Quote by jdrk10
Go with, Ibanez...My only reason is that it seams to me the Epiphones are heavier....I can't play standing up with a really heavy guitar. That's why I have a Strat....

They weigh what, 10 pounds? Seriously no guitar is so heavy that you can't play standing up, go do some crunches or something.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by steven seagull

Re: Gibson vs Epiphone LPs
Yeah, try identical :p

Perhaps it was the Gibson logo that made it look good eh?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by frl123
Look into a Dean EVO. Has the Les Paul style, no pickguard, and has a great feel to it. Also is probably a little cheaper than a Gibson or Epiphone

http://www.deanguitars.com/evo.htm

Yeah, they're ok. You will want to swap the tuners and pickups. I think they're cool looking.

Anyway, back to what is being compared. I would personally say the Ibanez ART300. Looks awesome
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by mikeyElite
for the stuff you play i'd save a little more and get an ltd ec-500 if you like the les paul shape.

I totally agree! I love my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but for what you are wanting to play, I would deffinitely go with the ESP.
I guess I kind of just want all all purpose guitar. Not only for metal. So I kinda want one that you can kinda use for everything.