Debatable topic i'm sure... but with training can anyone learn to sing well?

I write all aspects of my music except i'm an average singer... not painful, just average...i think i'm going to get a vocal teacher in hope that if i put enough effor in i can be a good singer song writer???
Uh no, for example William Hung now has a lot of money for lessons, but still can't sing.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Depends on well...

actually it doesn't. No, not everyone can learn to sing well, most people can but some people cannot at all.

Just like I'll never be able reach the top shelf of the cupboard.

If you're average now, a good vocal teacher can probably make you a good singer.

Won't do anything for your songwriting skills though.
ive always said that theres a differnce between singing that is good and singing that fits. ideally, you would like to have both. James labrie to me is a great example of that.
You can learn to sing in key and with proper technique, however if your voice sounds like ass there's really nothing you can do about that.
If you are tonedeaf you have no hope. If you do take voice lessons, make sure they are the style you want- while classical singing might help you, rock/pop specific lessons are probably more of what you are looking for.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Quote by niflag
If you are tonedeaf you have no hope. If you do take voice lessons, make sure they are the style you want- while classical singing might help you, rock/pop specific lessons are probably more of what you are looking for.

yeah i'm not tone deff as i tab out songs etc, my biggest problem is breathing i think... lacking in technique lol!
and i heard that classical lessons are good because it makes you more versatile... but i write pop rock songs so thats what im going for... thoughts...?
i think im tone deaf. everyone else nails singstar and im always a note or two either hi or low, i can never get the key and stay in the scale. its a nightmare. but would love to be able to just sing along to my guitar.

surely singing in key is something that anyone can be taught? (more money needed for some ;-P)
Quote by fiztech
i think im tone deaf. everyone else nails singstar and im always a note or two either hi or low, i can never get the key and stay in the scale. its a nightmare. but would love to be able to just sing along to my guitar.

surely singing in key is something that anyone can be taught? (more money needed for some ;-P)

If you can't tell what you're singing, you can't really be taught. Lessons will probably help, but if you can't sing, you can't sing.
Quote by Alex Vik
If you can't tell what you're singing, you can't really be taught. Lessons will probably help, but if you can't sing, you can't sing.

if you cant play guitar u cant play guitar. i dont see the difference. both are instruments.

with all due respect i call BS.

if you can learn by ear the right key, which can be taught, then i think anybody can be taught
Being tone deaf isn't always an explanation for being a piss poor singer. I can tune and learn stuff by ear, but I am still an atrocious singer. Back when I was taking guitar lessons, my teacher (who also taught voice) and I spent a few months working on my voice. I made some improvements, but I was still really ****ing bad. Sometimes it's just not in the cards.

But to TS, if you can already sing in tune well enough, lessons could help you a lot.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
Being tone deaf isn't always an explanation for being a piss poor singer. I can tune and learn stuff by ear, but I am still an atrocious singer. Back when I was taking guitar lessons, my teacher (who also taught voice) and I spent a few months working on my voice. I made some improvements, but I was still really ****ing bad. Sometimes it's just not in the cards.

But to TS, if you can already sing in tune well enough, lessons could help you a lot.

Doesn't it take way more than a few months to become a good singer?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Some teachers have no idea what they're doing, and others are experts. Ask someone who knows a lot about singing before picking a teacher.
Yes, it will help if the teacher is decent.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by whalepudding
Doesn't it take way more than a few months to become a good singer?

yeah but i'm terrible enough that it was starting to seem like a waste of time. You've gotta have a little bit of ability to mold into quality. If it's not there, it's not there.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Zugunruhe
just autotune!

UGHHHHHHHH.

I know there's almost no chance of this post being serious, but just seeing those two words together makes me want to cry.
thanx for the replies guys

and haha bout the auto tune... trying step on peoples toes :P

i actually want to be a good live performer, not just sound half decent on an over produced recording lol!

i'm inquiring with the conservatorium of music here about lessons, they have professionals there, seems like the best place to go yes?
inb4****face.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
So if I can tune my self to someones elses voice till I hear the nice hum of a detune effect of only being a few cents off I can sing? except I dont have an exceptional range... can ones pitch range be increased? Not like 3 octaves (Thijs Van Leer, hes epic... Check this out to see what I mean) but like awsomeness in like 1.5 or 2 octaves?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
but like awsomeness in like 1.5 or 2 octaves?

i would be happy with more than my current 0.5
I has like 2 octaves pity my voice sounds more like an old man farting the higher I go though, and I can't hold a note for ****.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Zugunruhe
just autotune!

dood power khords and autotoon for life
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
i have a pavirottie type thing going on. cant sing high. although in octave i guess i can if i can get the key right lol.

one wouldnt believe i was in the choir as a kid.

i think sometimes i just try too hard to sing like someone instead of finding my own pitch, then finding the key etc.