Page 1 of 2
I've noticed in quite a few threads, when buying a guitar a lot of people would not purchase one that they didn't like the look of, despite it being great to play and having the sound they want.

Admittedly, I'm a little that way inclined, when I bought my last guitar one of my priorities was to get something with a AAA-Grade Maple top, because I think they look awesome. Otherwise I was completely open to different body shapes, brands, colours etc. I really wanted a trans bright blue flamed guitar, but none of the ones I tried I particularly liked, and ended up with a Trans Black Flame.

So how much do looks matter to you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
pretty important, wouldnt wanna play something that looks like crap
sound and playability comes first, but im sure i can find something good that looks nice
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
As long as it works and isn't overly-pointy *CoughRazorbackCoughcough* I don't give a damn. Feel first(though as long as it doesn't have a Wizard I neck I'm generally fine with it), tone second, functionality third, looks last.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I won't lie- looks do matter to me.

However, how a guitar sounds and feels in my hands far outweigh appearance...except for pointy guitars.

I like the way they look in general, but I have never found one that feels comfortable. So while I may appreciate their aggressive "futureistic" aesthetics, I'll never own one except possibly as an investment. I won't buy one to play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tyranus-3121
pretty important, wouldnt wanna play something that looks like crap
sound and playability comes first, but im sure i can find something good that looks nice

Aye, Aye.

Hehe, the guitar I've loved to play the most wasn't even a guitar I thought I'd like, I only played it so I could at least say I played a super sexy guitar.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Having a great looking guitar and a kick butt amp is half the fun with the guitar hobby. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many crazy paint jobs and beautifull woods with guitars, and cool looking diamond plate, croc skin, etc.. on amps.

As far as how a guitar plays and sounds, of course it's important. With so many brands, models, and finishes, it's pretty easy to find something that looks, sounds, and plays good.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Not very, I do care what a guitar looks like but if it plays nice and sounds nice then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. As far as looks go I just can't stand guitars that are all pointy and crappy, I'm just not a big fan of the whole "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!!!! I'M SO ****ING EXTREEEEEEEEEME!!!!!! " look, but I could look past a guitars pointyness if it sounded nice and was comfortable and the same is true of any guitar, for me a guitars esthetics are practically a non-issue.
Quite frankly, they come quite close to being very important.

30% of opinion is for feel and playability
30% is for pickup quality, seeing as I could take those out.
20% is for looks and sex appeal.
20% is for tuning stability
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Looks kinda do matter, as in I'm not going to get a guitar based on looks alone. (Overly "metal" guitars are obnoxious IMO). My 20 year old Fender I picked up this weekend has quite a few nicks and dings and scratches on the body and neck, but I bought it because it plays and sounds better than a 2009 MIA strat
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
It goes like this for me:

1.Feel/playability and the connection I feel with the guitar
2.Tone and features
3.Looks

It may be beautiful,but if it doesn't feel right or have want I need on it then it might as well be a strat copy as far as I'm concerned.I'd take an ugly duckling that plays and sounds nice over some glossed up guitar that doesn't feel right any day.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It goes like this for me:

1.Feel/playability and the connection I feel with the guitar
2.Tone and features
3.Looks

It may be beautiful,but if it doesn't feel right or have want I need on it then it might as well be a strat copy as far as I'm concerned.I'd take an ugly duckling that plays and sounds nice over some glossed up guitar that doesn't feel right any day.

You say "copy" like a copy guitar can't be great, my Telecaster copy is one of my favorite guitars, I'd choose it over just about any Fender Tele any day.
Quote by david_highland
You say "copy" like a copy guitar can't be great, my Telecaster copy is one of my favorite guitars, I'd choose it over just about any Fender Tele any day.

I believe he's referring to the $100 strat copies we almost all start on that we either end up throwing in the closet or smashing.

Quote by necrosis1193
I believe he's referring to the $100 strat copies we almost all start on that we either end up throwing in the closet or smashing.

Yeah, I love that one too actualy, the fretwork leaves something to be desired but other than a few buzzy spots it does play and sound nice I'm mulling over whether or not to set it up to be a slide guitar. the price tag is also something I don't take into concideration when looking at a guitar (so long as it isn't out of my price range)
Quote by necrosis1193

Thanks for understanding my post and not trying to interpret it as some kind of attack on copy brands.You are correct,when I said copy I meant the 100 dollar starter guitars that they sell in department stores.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Looks dont really matter to me unless its supremely ugly imo. My list usually goes like this.

1. Playability
2. Sound
3. Looks
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
The looks of a guitar are the same with girls. Your not gonna wanna play a guitar that looks like junk and you wouldnt want to date a chick that looks like junk
I don't understand why people say that so many guitars, such as B.C. Riches and Deans, are ugly. I think they're nice looking. Ugly guitars should make you cringe, not say, "That's different."
Well, I probably wouldn't buy an ugly guitar unless it had everything I ever dreamed of.
its just personal preference, some people like ugly guitars and some like very viberant guitars, some like the bland ones... but honestly first should come first....take into consideration of what sound your looking for, what wood type or combination makes the tone you want, what kind of attack, once you know that and you want a guitar that looks really flashy then go get a guitar that has those aspecs, tonality wise and visual wise...
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I am a looks guy. When I buy a guitar I will spend hours over the span of a few weeks, as well as a few hours the day of, testing and playing guitars to try and find that perfect balance between feel, sound and looks. I just bought a new acoustic guitar. I spent about 4 hours in the acoustic room at my local GC playing each and every guitar in my price range. I settled on an Ibanez Exotic wood Figured Ash because it was in my opinion, not only the best sounding in the $300-500 range, but it is absolutely beautiful.
i got 50/50, if a guitar plays awesome but looks like a parker, i won't buy it.
if a guitar looks like jessica alba as the centerfold for playboy but plays like a dead squirrel with a pole in it's butt, ... i'll buy a picture of it.
when I look at a guitar I should wanna play it, so it helps if it looks the part
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
For me, they're fairly important. Everything sounds like **** through my rig at the moment though, so when I chose the RR3, it was mainly because of its kickass looks.
Not really BUT if I was ever to buy a super strat i would never buy it in Suburst colour.
They are sorta important to me, but I try to make that the least of my worries when purchasing a new guitar. I'm really picky when it comes to looks, so I can't base a purchase on that.
yeah I'm a looks obsessed guy (comes from my lack of experiance)

but now that I've owned a NJ warlock. TOO much looks makes me think "compensating?"

but i still wish that schecter made nicer 006's, because even though I'm nearly settled on a lefty hellraiser C-1... or some kinda lefty C-1...

the 006 is so much prettier!
sound
good hardware
playability
looks
QUOTE=HappyDrugs]Spectator mode.

Quote by Daneeka
Oh God, this is the fastest win i have ever seen.

I think the mods can't bare with your epicness and banned you.

Let's blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
A guitar being good looking is equally important to me as playability, versatility and sound.
404: Sig not found.
Both really for me to buy it I have to like the look of it and the way it plays / sounds.
looks are quite important to me, i could have a guitar that i hated the look of. i could only substitute a portion of the looks for the sound. if it sounded great but looked absolutely rank then it would be getting put back on the hanger and walked away from.

although saying that i wouldn't buy a guitar that i knew sounded bad if it looked good, has to have a good balance
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by craig_mccann at Feb 17, 2009,
Only guitars with

1) weird curvy shapes that aren't symmetric. Ex: Prince guitars and most stuff in that Ugly Guitar Thread
2)****ty paint jobs (but cant be fixed) Ex: Epiphone SG special that's like 200 bucks that red looks atrocious
3)OVERLY pointy (lookin at you dean and bc.rich)

Other than that, most guitars look good 2 me and really looks arent too big of a deal
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Last edited by John5rules125 at Feb 17, 2009,
Alot of people are saying looks is probaly the last thing they go for but to be honest i doubt thats true for most of you. When you walk into a gitar store to try a few guitars then buy one your not gonna walk in and go striaght for the bland looking guitar. Your going to go for the shape and color you like then go through features. What catches your eye is what your gonna play and in the end probaly buy.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Pretty up there, you've got to like the look of it imo.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Seeing as roughly 80% of information processed by our brains are input via sight and eyes, look are quit important.

If you think it looks like a pig, you might think it will play like a pig. For me to enjoy an instrument fully, it has to look beautiful as well as playing well.
For me comfort and sound are most important . you can change the cosmetics of the guitar if i dont like the color boom a new paint job . i have purchased some fairly ugly guitars in my life, but they felt and sounded good and the price was cheap enough for me to be able to experiement with them .
Playability and sound come first, then comes looks. But I'd never buy a guitar if it had the first two points, but I didn't like how it looks. So yeah, looks are important to me.
^ +1. playability and tone are more important, but there are some cosmetics, shapes and colours which i just don't like at all, and they'd be a deal-breaker even if i otherwise really liked the guitar. if it were the nicest playing and sounding guitar i'd ever played, then i might make an exception, of course...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just want to be clear to everyone here though.

Buy a guitar on looks alone and the neo-hippie is hunting you down and smashing it over your head.

Page 1 of 2