Please compare and contrast these two 12" Celestion speakers:

* 15-watt Alnico Blue

* 30-watt G12H (Anniversary)
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
The Alnico Blue was the first ever dedicated guitar speaker, boasting 15w of Alnico-fuelled power. Thanks to the Alnico magnet it has a very very sweet and smooth tone that is the envy of most other speakers. It gained major fame from use in AC30s with such endorsees as Brian May. The speaker adds its own natural compression, smoothness and sweetness, and the Gold is a modern interpretation of the Blue with a subtly different tone, but 50w of power handling.

The G12H is a development of the Greenback, which was out in the larger Marshall 1982 cabinets. These were made when guitarists blew up too many Greenbacks, since they could not handle the power from the 100watt Plexis. The H comes in both a 75HZ lead version, for guitar (70th anniversary) and the 55HZ version (for bass). The 55HZ is generally much fatter in tone. These are a bit cleaner and more defined than the Greenbacks and also have more headroom. Could be desribed as fatter or woodier compared to a Greenback. If you find the Greenback too muddy these are recommended.

-Speaker Thread.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
What's the conventional wisdom for these speakers about whether they belong in closed or partially-open backed cab?
depends on what you want. I prefer closed-back cabs all day, but if you want a bit more airy sound, go for the partially open. there isnt a solid rule.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
In the same cab (say a 1x12 Avatar cube) how different will each of these speakers sound? And if I play them in series through a tube head, how will that compare to the tone from a single 1x12?

Are we talking about subtle flavor differences, or entirely different meals?