By which I mean my ultimate guitar. One of my bands other guitarists(we have three, though that may change soon) turns out to be lusting after a 1962 Gibson SG Reissue that would basically become his main guitar for most of however long his/our career lasts once he gets it, and that got me thinking. A $400 PRS copy, a MIM Standard strat from 2002, a $550 telecaster copy soon, possibly son a $150 Danelectro U2 as well, none of my guitars are that remarkable. While I do love them, none of them approach that level where you can hand it to anyone with a brain and they'll nod and say "it's good". Except for maybe the strat, none of them I feel confident I could take much further than "debut album that we fund ourselves or get an indie label for and the ensuing tour". So I sort of want one now that may. As much as I love my current guitars, there's always something about them that isn't quite right.

So, to cut short, I've been considering a custom Carvin strat, but recommend me some options. My band plays rock, blues and a bit of metal, I prefer single-coil definition, but also good bass and mids, and just look at my profile for whatever else you need.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you love the feel of your guitars, you may want to mod them (pickups etc) to get rid of that "something ain't right" feeling. You could use that Carvin money to add some serious stuff to those guitars.

However that said, it does look like you made quite a few comprimises on price in order to get a new guitar. And additionally you're soon going to get another one (Telecaster copy).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i almost made a black person joke.....but yeah what the guy above me said is basicaly spot on.
Used Carvin that matches your specs + mods = win

You could get a modified Used Carvin for the base line price of a new Carvin before you start adding options on to it.I'd be a lot better than a 550 dollar tele copy,unless said tele copy is a Carvin.

Something like this would be great,a strat style Carvin with single coil humbuckers (SD) and a few after market mods like a boost switch and so on.

Carvin Strat

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by AlanHB
If you love the feel of your guitars, you may want to mod them (pickups etc) to get rid of that "something ain't right" feeling. You could use that Carvin money to add some serious stuff to those guitars.

However that said, it does look like you made quite a few comprimises on price in order to get a new guitar. And additionally you're soon going to get another one (Telecaster copy).

Hmm...I do suppose I could see that. Any specific mods you would recommend?

Well, yes in some ways, but in others not; I try before buying, so I always make sure that something works, sounds and feels good, but there are always little things I don't like in my guitars(I'm a bit of a prick in that way, it took a while to get me to compromise my standards to what I have now), and as such I'm always after another one to make up for the flaws in my other ones. I bought the PRS copy because it was my first serious guitar and I love PRS but can't afford $2,200 on a guitar. Strat because my PRS copy didn't have the clarity I wanted. Now tele because the strat's bridge and neck pickups aren't quite punchy enough. The Danelectro mainly just because I need something to set to G and leave like that. I try to keep from going above $1,000 per guitar so I don't bankrupt myself and my family with my guitars.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Used Carvin that matches your specs + mods = win

You could get a modified Used Carvin for the base line price of a new Carvin before you start adding options on to it.I'd be a lot better than a 550 dollar tele copy,unless said tele copy is a Carvin.

Something like this would be great,a strat style Carvin with single coil humbuckers (SD) and a few after market mods like a boost switch and so on.

Carvin Strat

Aye. ^_^

Hmm...true. Suppose I'll look around then.

Ooh, it's like a JEM of strats...if I win this auction I will love you.

There are many paths open to you.

1) Carvins are darn good guitars- I know several performing musicians who swear by their guitars and amps.

2) Check out the local luthiers in your area, on this site, or ones you know of from other sources. Perhaps one would be willing to work with you to produce your "Dream Axe"...or something closer to it than what you have. Expense varies- I struck up a conversation with a luthier- Jon Kammerer (http://kamererguitars.com/content.php) at the Dallas Guitar Show and wound up purchasing 3 of his guitars...and NOT at full price, either.

3) Like AlanHB said, you could take a "lesser" guitar and modify the heck out of it- that is, after all, what guys like Gilmour, Malmsteen, SRV and Clapton did. Perhaps some sweet new pickups- Gilmour likes Lace pickups (and I've been lusting after their Alumitones, FWIW http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/electric_pickups.php). Perhaps you could get some stupidiculously expensive but powerful effects pedals. Talk to your local guitar tech to figure out your options.

4) Keep what you have and make it stand out with your talent. Jack White made Airlines a household word when he used them in White Stripes. Who knows, maybe YOU'LL get a signature model.

4a) If you like the feel of what you have, find another, better guitar in the same line.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by necrosis1193

Aye. ^_^

Hmm...true. Suppose I'll look around then.

Ooh, it's like a JEM of strats...if I win this auction I will love you.

I thought the same thing,the color scheme looks just like a JEM with the white pearloid guard and the gold hardware.It's a great deal considering it's mint and has a set of upgrade SD's installed in it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I just checked out that Carvin...pretty sweet!

I'm pulling for you if you bid on it, man- lots of luck! (But hurry up!)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are many paths open to you.

1) Carvins are darn good guitars- I know several performing musicians who swear by their guitars and amps.

2) Check out the local luthiers in your area, on this site, or ones you know of from other sources. Perhaps one would be willing to work with you to produce your "Dream Axe"...or something closer to it than what you have. Expense varies- I struck up a conversation with a luthier- Jon Kammerer (http://kamererguitars.com/content.php) at the Dallas Guitar Show and wound up purchasing 3 of his guitars...and NOT at full price, either.

3) Like AlanHB said, you could take a "lesser" guitar and modify the heck out of it- that is, after all, what guys like Gilmour, Malmsteen, SRV and Clapton did. Perhaps some sweet new pickups- Gilmour likes Lace pickups (and I've been lusting after their Alumitones, FWIW http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/electric_pickups.php). Perhaps you could get some stupidiculously expensive but powerful effects pedals. Talk to your local guitar tech to figure out your options.

4) Keep what you have and make it stand out with your talent. Jack White made Airlines a household word when he used them in White Stripes. Who knows, maybe YOU'LL get a signature model.

4a) If you like the feel of what you have, find another, better guitar in the same line.

1. Aye, hence why I decided to take a look.

2. Hmm...well, there probably are a few near a local shop I frequent consideirng there appear to be about seven shops on that one street alone...will look around I suppose.

3. I actually used to be looking at Lace Sensor pickups after hearing Pete Townshend playing a strat equipped with one when I went to see The Who. Any specific ones you'd recommend?

4. I do suppose I probably could get more bass from my strat by increasing the EQ on that and playing around with it instead of just copying the Jeff Beck settings...I like this one.

4a. Well, I do love my strats feel, but I can't find anything with as slick of a neck as it, and the neck is my favourite bit of it.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I just checked out that Carvin...pretty sweet!

I'm pulling for you if you bid on it, man- lots of luck! (But hurry up!)

Quote by Pr0gNut
I thought the same thing,the color scheme looks just like a JEM with the white pearloid guard and the gold hardware.It's a great deal considering it's mint and has a set of upgrade SD's installed in it.

Aye, hence why I wish I could get it; due to not having a job yet and not having the money on-hand, I had to go to the various members of my family still awake, and each has said no, so that appears to be dead at the moment. ><

Well that sucks,but there's always a good amount of nice Carvins on the used market,so it isn't like that was the only one there will ever be.

3. I actually used to be looking at Lace Sensor pickups after hearing Pete Townshend playing a strat equipped with one when I went to see The Who. Any specific ones you'd recommend?

Like I said, I've been lusting after the Alumitones. I have a Dean EVO Special Select that I was thinking about dropping a pair into.

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2008/04/lace-alumitone-pickups.html
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305419
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lace-guitar-clean-hot-gold-sensor-alumitone/276850791?icid=acvsv2
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lace-alumitone-pickups-demo-clean/288230386268157029/?icid=VIDURVMUS03

(If you look through the videos on the last 2 links, you'll find a couple of sound samples- the ones by the guy with the metallic finish guitar are longish and varied, so you get a real feel for them.)

Aye, hence why I wish I could get it; due to not having a job yet and not having the money on-hand, I had to go to the various members of my family still awake, and each has said no, so that appears to be dead at the moment. ><

Well, don't let it bug you too much.

My maternal aunt was displaced by Hurricane Katrina, and moved to D/FW where my family lives. We tried to get her into a house, and found several nice ones that were...not quite it. One she couldn't get approved for...but was revealed to have foundation issues. Another had insufficient parking. And so forth.

Then one day she found one just blocks from where I live. It was THE ONE.

So this Carvin wasn't meant to be. Perhaps you'll find a better deal. Perhaps the seller won't get the price he's looking for.

One way or the other, if you're meant to have a Dream Axe, you'll get it.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Like I said, I've been lusting after the Alumitones. I have a Dean EVO Special Select that I was thinking about dropping a pair into.

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2008/04/lace-alumitone-pickups.html
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305419
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lace-guitar-clean-hot-gold-sensor-alumitone/276850791?icid=acvsv2
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lace-alumitone-pickups-demo-clean/288230386268157029/?icid=VIDURVMUS03

(If you look through the videos on the last 2 links, you'll find a couple of sound samples- the ones by the guy with the metallic finish guitar are longish and varied, so you get a real feel for them.)

Well, don't let it bug you too much.

My maternal aunt was displaced by Hurricane Katrina, and moved to D/FW where my family lives. We tried to get her into a house, and found several nice ones that were...not quite it. One she couldn't get approved for...but was revealed to have foundation issues. Another had insufficient parking. And so forth.

Then one day she found one just blocks from where I live. It was THE ONE.

So this Carvin wasn't meant to be. Perhaps you'll find a better deal. Perhaps the seller won't get the price he's looking for.

Hmm....definitely will keep all that in mind, much appreciated on the advice. Sorry to hear about your aunt by the way, but it sounds like things worked out in the end.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Well that sucks,but there's always a good amount of nice Carvins on the used market,so it isn't like that was the only one there will ever be.

True, I've seen plenty on eBay; I used to be a bit of a nut over low-price guitars on it.