Page 1 of 2
Title says it all. I've been overcome by all of these awesome clips I'm hearing of the Savage lately. I really like the lead channel of the 6505, and it's a really great head for sure. My biggest problem I have with it is though, that to get decent cleans from my lead/distortion channel I have to turn my TS off, hit the channel switch, and effects loop switch (or change the preset on my Zoom G7.1ut, that I want to ditch).
I basically have to do a square dance technique to get my damn cleans. And if I want to go from distortion to clean really fast, I have to sacrifice tone to get to there, and it's still a pain.
This has brought me onto the GASing of an Engl Savage 120, as it's a great sounding amp from all he clips and videos I've seen on it, as it applies a great lead channel that doesn't need a boost (like I found the 6505 needed, just to change the tone [not adding more gain, of course]) and has very nice cleans, and of course I wouldn't need the G7.1ut, as I would dream of the day I could get rid of it.
I basically want to get the idea of a much better sounding amp, with the hit of 1 switch (MIDI capable Savage helps this dream become a reality as well) and get a better clean tone in the process.
I also am going to be buying a new cab this summer, and if I can find one of these badboys for a steal, I think I may jump it. This running me well over $2000 easy.

TL;DR: I feel I should ditch my 6505 for an Engl Savage 120 because I am in need of better versatility/easier switching. Give me ideas, and your opinions on the Savage 120. Budget isn't a problem (especially if I find a good deal) but tell me what you guys think.

EDIT: No more car option, just looking into the amp, thanks for the replies!
Last edited by bowen at Feb 18, 2009,
i know you might not like it
but multi-fx is a cheaper fix
though i wouldnt expect amazing tone

but at least you wont have to pull an MJ to get your cleans
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
That's what the G7.1ut is, a multi-effects pedal. Not very interested in going that route, as I think I would still have to do more than necessary switching. Thank-you for your response though.
Anybody else have any ideas?
well i kind of meant a multi fx with quickchanging multiple patches
but oh well

but tbh i dont think you're gonna really get around this

Edit: how much would you want for your 6505 though? if you were to sell it
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Feb 17, 2009,
^Probably about $1200 Canadian, so around $950-975 American depending on how this economic crisis works out. It's in mint condition and all that, and the footswitch would be included.
is it the combo 2x12?
where in bc are you?
cause i live in b'ham, washington but i work next to the huntington crossing

(mainly if you're willing to sell it in the near future i might be willing to buy it
Glimsom wrote:
Buy a classic 30 and a A/B switch

Or just buy a car and worry about your cleans when you have a band
Quote by roarinflames
is it the combo 2x12?
where in bc are you?
cause i live in b'ham, washington but i work next to the huntington crossing

(mainly if you're willing to sell it in the near future i might be willing to buy it

I live in the Okanagan (South-Central) about an hour from the border into Washington. About 5-7 hours away from where you live. And it's the 6505 120 watt head.
The Classic 30 idea is a good idea for sure, and pretty inexpensive at that as well.
Thanks
Trade it.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^Will do if I ever meet somebody willing to trade a Savage for a 6505 for sure.
I'll probably create a listing on a few forum sites and see if I get any bites for it and some cash for one. I know some people have gotten one with the Midi switcher for $1300, so it's definantly a possibility.
how badly do you need a car? i'd get a car, personally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about turning down the gain on the lead channel, turning up the boost on your OD and see if you can clean up lead channel by just cutting the boost and tuning down the volume on the guitar and/or swiching pups.

I dont use much clean, so I don't know.. maybe?
Quote by bowen
That's what the G7.1ut is, a multi-effects pedal. Not very interested in going that route, as I think I would still have to do more than necessary switching. Thank-you for your response though.
Anybody else have any ideas?

Combine midi and multifx. Get a G-Major, you can use the relayfunction to switch channels via midi. + the G-major is a awesome instrument

Btw, i would get a engl over a peavey everytime
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
even better deal

ill trade you a car for the head
lol
a good deal too
my bro owns a car lot
Glimsom wrote:
Quote by Dave_Mc
how badly do you need a car? i'd get a car, personally.

Understood really, but I am in no major need of getting a car really, as I can borrow either of the 2 that my parents own any time. I did financial planning in the past few days, and with the amount of money I'm going to be saving for Uni, buying a car right now is unrealstic and a money pit with gas and insurance for a car. SO I think I'll scratch that idea for now, and worry about a car later on down the road.
Quote by 667
How about turning down the gain on the lead channel, turning up the boost on your OD and see if you can clean up lead channel by just cutting the boost and tuning down the volume on the guitar and/or swiching pups.

I dont use much clean, so I don't know.. maybe?

The gain on the 6505 isn't a problem at all, but it's the versatility factor, as I'm going to be needing a versatile amp if I go into Music in university (an investment if you will) where as a car is always a cost for me right now.
Quote by OrangeWalls
Combine midi and multifx. Get a G-Major, you can use the relayfunction to switch channels via midi. + the G-major is a awesome instrument

Btw, i would get a engl over a peavey everytime

Thanks for the idea! I will look into that for sure, but I'm gonna keep looking for a steal on the 6505 for a Savage 120 as well
Quote by roarinflames
even better deal

ill trade you a car for the head
lol
a good deal too
my bro owns a car lot

Now this has my attention
Thanks, but I think I'm going to rule the car out for now, as I can't afford one along with saving for post-secondary education. And then I would be out an amp if I did that, which would be a set-back. Thanks anyways
Last edited by bowen at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by bowen
Understood really, but I am in no major need of getting a car really, as I can borrow either of the 2 that my parents own any time. I did financial planning in the past few days, and with the amount of money I'm going to be saving for Uni, buying a car right now is unrealstic and a money pit with gas and insurance for a car. SO I think I'll scratch that idea for now, and worry about a car later on down the road.

oh ok, i did not realise that. as long as they don't suddenly sell them, or ban you from using them, then that's fair enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMHO the Savage is in another league as the Peavey 6505. I have a Savage 120 and SE right now and they're awesome amps. The leads don't need no boost, especially not on chan. 4
I used to have the Savage 60, which is pretty rare outside of Europe, great amp to use on the road, easy and loud enough. I had to sell it to partially fund my SE.

Keep in mind there is a Savage 120, a Savage SE and an SE. The Savage SE was only made for a pretty short period and is a Savage 120 with a bit more options (reverb, cab switching, more tone-shaping) and it can handle an EL34 setup, whilst a Savage 120 is 6550's.
The Savage SE sounds a bit smoother IMHO. If you're into metal etc. the Savage 120 might be a better choice. If you want more versatility the Savage SE might be a better weapon of choice. I bought the Savage 120 before the Savage SE came out, but I played the Savage SE a few times.

If you're the ultimate gear***** and you can spend the cash, dish out for an ENGL SE. (not savage SE) I never regret buying mine.
Gear Whore
^ the savage se can take el34s? i didn't know that.

i agree that the SE is awesome, but it's really expensive. i went with the savage se because i got it for a little over half what the SE was, and only slightly more than what i could have got a powerball for (beyers got a special shipment made or something, at a lower price, because it was being discontinued).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well then you got a very good deal man! I have owned the Powerball, Ritchie Blackmore and Savage 60 as well and the Savage 120 is a better amp IMHO.

I wouldn't be able to justify that price difference to myself either between the savage and savage se in your situation, I actually liked the Savage 120 better since I was mostly playing metal and metalcore anyways.

I've seen Savage SE's on both 6L6's as EL34's. They originally sold with 6L6. The EL34's sound a bit darker and break up earlier. I've played one with EL34's and it was smooth. It's a pretty populair mod for Savage SE's.
Gear Whore
Last edited by *Def* at Feb 18, 2009,
interesting. i might consider that at some point, mine's pretty smooth already, but i'd like to see how it'd sound with el34s too, it might improve the rock tones. though it might hurt the cleans, you can't win them all haha

i'd never actually tried the savage se before i bought it, i mainly bought it because of the price and it worked out. still haven't tried a savage, never even seen one, but from all i hear, the savage se is a bit smoother than the savage, which is what you've said too. funny thing is, if i'd tried them before buying i'd have probably gone with the powerball at the time (or maybe savage) as i liked the metal tone more then, but i seem to be playing more rock-type stuff now so i'm glad i went with what i did, lol. trying something first isn't always the best idea, apparently!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Savage for sure. The 6505 is a good amp, but the Savage pretty much destroys it imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If your worried about money then look into the ENGL sceamer.
Techniclly a 4 channel amp, huge versitility, can do modern metal and extremely nice cleans.
There is a few clips in my profile if your interested.
Just a low-er cost option :P
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
If your worried about money then look into the ENGL sceamer.
Techniclly a 4 channel amp, huge versitility, can do modern metal and extremely nice cleans.
There is a few clips in my profile if your interested.
Just a low-er cost option :P

Technically, it's 2 separate channels, each with a hi/lo gain switch, which essentially makes it sound like a 4 channel head.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I would do that in a heartbeat, I have serious GAS for a savage right now, but im broke.
The Screamer idea isn't exactly what I'm looking for, as the shared EQ would be kinda limiting how versatile I could make that amp, and only the Screamer combo is MIDI compatible from my research.
Thanks guys for the info on the amps between the Savage 60, Savage SE, and Savage 120, as I was not clear on the differances between any of these amps in comparison with each other, so thanks
Give me your opinions on how much extra $$$ one would have to add in a trade of a 6505 +$ for a Savage 120. I know some people have gotten steals on them, but what do you guys think would be a reasonable extra cash to put on top of the amp for a Savage 120?
After having spent some time with ALLLLLL of the ENGLs personally in my home up to the 3k range (invader), i ended up settling with the fireball for teh br00tz. i'd give that a look if i were you.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Looking for more versatility than just br00talz and cleans, and MIDI switchable is the idea of the Savage that I like, without having to buy the Z11 and Z15. Thanks for the comment though
Anybody on the average price one would pay ontop of a 6505 for a Savage 120?
Quote by bowen
Looking for more versatility than just br00talz and cleans, and MIDI switchable is the idea of the Savage that I like, without having to buy the Z11 and Z15. Thanks for the comment though
Anybody on the average price one would pay ontop of a 6505 for a Savage 120?

Oh i forgot about that..yeah if versatility is your thing the fball is not for you..it's really more of a one trick pony...but one HELL of a trick at that...

as for versatility, i'd have to say the Savage 120 is BEAST.

id expect to drop about 1k on top of your amp for a trade.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Oh i forgot about that..yeah if versatility is your thing the fball is not for you..it's really more of a one trick pony...but one HELL of a trick at that...

as for versatility, i'd have to say the Savage 120 is BEAST.

id expect to drop about 1k on top of your amp for a trade.

That's what I was figuring, on the dot as well But I won't tell them that, as maybe being in the presence of Erock will have dubbed me some jesus points towards getting some amazing deal
Yeah right
I mean seriously, a SE EL34 for $1800 (5150 he got for $400 on top of $1400 cash) with the midi switcher?! My God!
I think that'll be my plan, and if I get no bites on that, I can sell the 6505 for another $1200 (Canadian) and with the $1000 saved that should almost certainly be enough to get me a used Savage 120, or at least I'd hope.
wow, that's a good deal erock got on the SE if that's what he paid.

are you sure the savage is midi switchable without the midi interface? i don't think the savage se is...

there's probably going to be some money on top of a 5150 for savage deal... not too sure about prices in canada, but here in the UK a new 6505 is around the £800-£1000 mark, while a savage is around £1500, maybe more (it used to be £1350, prices have been rising recently).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bowen
That's what I was figuring, on the dot as well But I won't tell them that, as maybe being in the presence of Erock will have dubbed me some jesus points towards getting some amazing deal
Yeah right
I mean seriously, a SE EL34 for $1800 (5150 he got for $400 on top of $1400 cash) with the midi switcher?! My God!
I think that'll be my plan, and if I get no bites on that, I can sell the 6505 for another $1200 (Canadian) and with the $1000 saved that should almost certainly be enough to get me a used Savage 120, or at least I'd hope.

no man, that was a sick deal, but I got boned in the end. My SE is getting sent out for service already, turns out there was a problem with the inside tube sockets, so it's been running on 50W the whole time I've owned it.
I figured it was a bit muddy, but thought it was just my settings. Nope, running on 2 of 4 tubes the whole time.

Great deal, but now I have to pay out the butt to have someone fix it. Seller is making good on repairs, but still sucks I have to send it out. Waiting to hear back from FJA as I type this, otherwise it's off to an ENGL service center in PA.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ooh, that's not so good. the seller didn't know, right?

that's why i'm always wary if something is too cheap...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, supposedly worked when he tested the bias LED's, but I don't know how it got damaged like this. No visible shipping damage. I'm measuring different plate voltages on V1 and V2, which are in parallel, so likely a flyback diode on one of the plates is grounding. That and probably a couple screen grid resistors and the 2x 470k resistors are open. Something smoked I'm afraid, but visually, you couldn't tell, all the tubes still light up like normal. Just no bias current flowing thru the inside pair. Yeah, deal was too good to be true, but he's supposedly going to make good, so we'll see.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah. good luck, i hope it works out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. good luck, i hope it works out.

thanks man. And overall, it was definitely a good deal, but not robbery. I paid low for the 5150, but I stole it for that price, and I installed the bias mod and retubed it, so it was like a new well tuned amp when I sold it. I was also the second owner of a 1992 blockletter, so it still came with the original tubes, owners manual, and paperwork, haha. The guy I traded loved it, and so did I actually. I thought about just backing out and getting my amp and loot back, but I really like this amp, and I'm hoping a correctly working circuit will help the aspects I didn't care for.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah, definitely. the SE is definitely up there as one of the best amps in the world (for versatility, if nothing else), imo, just the problem being that with the extreme cost (new), you could buy several different amps which may be more versatile (as they'd have different voicings, tubes etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, that's a good deal erock got on the SE if that's what he paid.

are you sure the savage is midi switchable without the midi interface? i don't think the savage se is...

there's probably going to be some money on top of a 5150 for savage deal... not too sure about prices in canada, but here in the UK a new 6505 is around the £800-£1000 mark, while a savage is around £1500, maybe more (it used to be £1350, prices have been rising recently).

That makes a lot of sense, and yes you have to have the MIDI Interface for it to work, but I don't think I'd be needing anything other than a delay, noise-supressor, and maye a volume pedal with the Savage, as I heard that ENGL's aren't exactly that big on being boosted for whatever reason. I think I'm just gonna get a Z10, and use it with the MIDI Interface-in (as they direct with the 6-pin input).

Quote by Erock503

no man, that was a sick deal, but I got boned in the end. My SE is getting sent out for service already, turns out there was a problem with the inside tube sockets, so it's been running on 50W the whole time I've owned it.
I figured it was a bit muddy, but thought it was just my settings. Nope, running on 2 of 4 tubes the whole time.

Great deal, but now I have to pay out the butt to have someone fix it. Seller is making good on repairs, but still sucks I have to send it out. Waiting to hear back from FJA as I type this, otherwise it's off to an ENGL service center in PA.

From what I was talkin to you about last night about ENGL's customer service, I think that was more to do with just e-mailing them from what I know. Their service center should get back to you hopefully man, as it's just in PA (for whatever reason, I was thinkin you had to send it back to Germany ) but I really hope that gets all sorted out for you man.
So I'll be saving up cash to add onto a 6505+$ deal for a Savage, and once I get enough then I'll start hunting for one. Thanks guys
yeah, you generally don't really need a boost for engls as they have enough gain and are tight enough already. if you already have one, it obviously wouldn't hurt to try it, but if you don't, there's generally no need to rush out and buy one, as there can be with other amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, looks like I'm a moron.

1st mistake. Didn't realize the LED on the front had to be lit to be in full power. I thought illuminated meant half power.

2nd mistake. Not realizing a normal bias probe like a bias rite will get strange readings on this amp. I guess the switching circuitry is a bit odd, where the cathode doesn't go directly to ground like a normal amp. Probably something to do with the on the fly power switching.

so, long story short, amp works fine, I just didn't know how to use it. Also, don't try and measure the bias using a regular bias probe, because it will give you funky readings.
amp clips
amp vids
Why dont you go for a E570 preamp and a 850/100 poweramp? Its practicallythe preamp and poweramp of the Engl SE, and you can buy them second hand for 2000$. Seems like the best choice here.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Page 1 of 2