I resently remembered a question that I've had for a while and thought I'd see what you guys had to say about it.

Example: You have a WAV file and you compress it to an MP3, but then you take the MP3 and compress it again.

Question: Is that going to significantly reduce the quality of the file or is it basically resaving what you already have onto a new MP3?

I've heard both sides already and at this point I'm almost leaning twords it reduces the quality, but I have a friend who took online courses at Berkely who says it is pretty much just resaving the file. There's also the whole lossy/ lossless compression methods which might be what made both sides say what they said. So what do you guys think?
well if you have a higher compression rate the second time around, it will result in a lower quality. For instance, if you compress a WAV file to MP3 @ 320kbps, you get a smaller file with a lower quality. If you repeat the process to the MP3 and try to compress it again at 320kbps again, it won't do anything. However, if you compress it to a lower quality like 128kbps, then you get a smaller file and lower quality. Or you could just compress the WAV down to 128kbps the first time around.

But don't quote me on this, I sometimes pull things out of my ass
Quote by jetfuel495
well if you have a higher compression rate the second time around, it will result in a lower quality. For instance, if you compress a WAV file to MP3 @ 320kbps, you get a smaller file with a lower quality. If you repeat the process to the MP3 and try to compress it again at 320kbps again, it won't do anything. However, if you compress it to a lower quality like 128kbps, then you get a smaller file and lower quality. Or you could just compress the WAV down to 128kbps the first time around.

But don't quote me on this, I sometimes pull things out of my ass

Pretty much accurate.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Compression only goes one way (down). And it should not matter if you do it in several steps or in one.