Hey guys I am going through hell and back trying to find a good sounding tone that many have found, I am starting to think it might be my settings or something of that type. Right now here is my current setup, this is for metal people I am going for that shadows fall balls out sound. Gain 5.5 bass 8.5 mid 4 hi 7 res 10 pres 9, im running a maxon od808 and basically got all 3 dials at the 11 o clock position, all my guitars have a similar sound since i use emg 81s but I'm just looking for some options here any ideas?
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
I use roughly the same settings as you and my tone is great, what kind of speakers are in your cab? Could have something to do with it. I would suggest turning the gain up to about 6.5 or 7, drop the lows down to 7, increase the mids a bit, turn the res down to about 6 or 7 and leave the pres where its at.
I like low/mid/high around 5, gain on 4-5 and resonance/presence between 5-7. I use a TS9 in front of mine with the level around 6-7, tone around 1-2 and gain at 0. All through v30 speakers in my Mesa cab. Sounds awesome.
Use your damn OD as it should be used on a 6505!
Level: near max
Drive: near min
Tone: Where desired
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Last edited by howey at Feb 17, 2009,
Do NOT turn up the gain. 5.5 should be an ultimate maximum, on this amp that is ALOT of gain.
Your EQ aint so bad, but i would suggest to boost your mids instead of your trebble. So turn down the trebble (3-4) and put your mids up to 8-9. Also: to much presence creates a harsh unpleasent tone. Dont put it over 7.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
After messing with my amp for years I have found the perfect settings. Let me say I have a 6505+ so I use slightly more gain than I did on my regular 5150.

pre-6
low-7
mid-3
high-5
resonance-8
presence-5

One thing with this amp is don't put a lot of presence. A LOT of people want to max it out like they do their solid state amps and you just can't do it with these amps. It sounds ear piercing and like crap. Although you want to turn it down BEFORE you play. Because if you've been playing on it high and then you turn it down it'll sound like it's in a hole and you won't be used to it. It helps if you do it before you start and you'll get used to it.

On the regular 5150 I'd probably keep the gain on 5 or 5.5. Nothing wrong with turning it up a little more though. Some people don't think so but most bands I hear are using their gain on 7 and 8. And I've heard some really tight tones with the gain on 8.

You can boost it with a boost pedal and use even less gain if you want but it seems to take away some low end and doesn't sound as organic. I used to prefer it but not anymore.

You can turn the mids up if you want... i used to be this amp is very middy anyway and on 3 and 4 it cuts over a drummer and sounds heavier. When you turn them up to 8 it doesn't have the same heavy tone to me and you don't need that many mids to cut anyway.

Your OD pedal depends also.. previous post said to keep the level all the way up. That can be the case on some of them. Some of them you simply cannot do that.
Quote by zhunt1130
I use roughly the same settings as you and my tone is great, what kind of speakers are in your cab? Could have something to do with it. I would suggest turning the gain up to about 6.5 or 7, drop the lows down to 7, increase the mids a bit, turn the res down to about 6 or 7 and leave the pres where its at.

Thanks guys for all the tips I'm gona try a couple new settings with some of your insight and see what happens and just to let you know zhunt but cab is a marshall 1960a cab kinda middy i think.
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
Quote by Camaro4726
Thanks guys for all the tips I'm gona try a couple new settings with some of your insight and see what happens and just to let you know zhunt but cab is a marshall 1960a cab kinda middy i think.

Yeah most cabs sound middy with it though. The amp is a middy amp. That's why I say you don't really need to boost your mids like some people think.