I was considering spending about $500-550 on a guitar and amp seperate some time in the future, but I was browsing MusiciansFriend for guitar packs and came across these two, I really like them both and will seriously consider getting one of them, I just can't decide which one to get. I'm jonesing for the Epiphone Les Paul (granted it being not the standard-awesome models, but a LP none-the-less), but the Fender/Squier isn't looking too shabby either. I'm a decent bass player and just looking for a guitar to mess around on as a second instrument, nothing too serious. I am NOT looking for a metal/heavy rock sound, I'm not too sure what I'm aiming for, probably a standard all-around sound, I do like indie music though.

Squier: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Start-Playing-HSS-Strat-Pack-with-GDEC-Jr.?sku=512577

Epiphone: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LP100-and-Amp-Pack?sku=513153

Thank you in advance.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Personally I'm against getting packs. I'd recommend spending the following on the following;

Amp; One of the 5W tube amps, I've always liked them for house cranking/personal practicing/beginner tube amps. Plus they can be loud little devils. As for the Vypyr, I tried one when I bought my Blues Jr., to be honest I foudn it confusing, but I'm not a big features guy, so that may effect it. Still, if I couldn't figure it out after five years, I'm not positive a beginner could.

Guitar; Can you go used?

Cable, strap and so on; whatever you can find.

Tuner; Boss TU-80
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
+1 for the Peavey Vypyr 15. Try out some guitars in the $300 range if you can then. Ibanez makes some nice ones. There is that one hardtail one that is supposed to be rather good I think?
Perhaps the Amp Pac_man0123 suggested with a Yamaha Pacifica. HSS will give you more of an 'all round sound' than the HH guitars mentioned.
I've always wondered what HSS and HH means, sorry if that sounds dumb.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
a H-S-S guitar means it has a Humbucker(H) in the bridge and a single coil(S) in the middle and neck position. a H-H guitar means it has 2 Humbuckers. one in the neck and one in the bridge
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Hmm, well I REALLY like that Peavy the Pac Man posted, and I may just go with the Epiphone, I like the H-H pickup setup. Both packs kind of came with a few things I don't need so I can buy the spares seperate. Thanks guys, more suggestions are welcome too, might change my mind.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
you'll find that the Peavey Vyper is a great starter amp.

for a great starter guitar i recommend the Ibanez RG321
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
a very reliable work horse that should last you a long time
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Tell us what you play. Based on the lp and strat choice, I'm guessing some form of classic rock or blues if this is so go for a five watt tube like Necro suggested and maube a Yamaha pacifica. I can not stress enough to get a five watt tube.
hmmmm... $500 eh?

amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909 $199

guitar: one of these http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss11.html

put a coil tap switch in place of one of the tone knobs on the LP's and away you go.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i would get the amp PacMan0123 posted but with this guitar
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Why would you suggest this when he says he doesn't want a metal or heavy rock guitar? RGs can play anything, but for what he wants to play the RG is far from the ideal guitar for him.

Like some suggested, the Yamaha Pacifica is good. And Squiers can be nice too, you just have to try some out and get the one that feels best. If you treat it right, and after time upgrade it when you want, it'll last even past your beginning stages.

I'd go for a Squier Classic Vibe 50s or 60s Strat.

If you don't mind ordering online, guitars from rondomusic.com and guitarfetish.com are very, very good.
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Feb 17, 2009,
Neither, just buy a decent qaulity electric guitar and practice it. wait a year before you get an amp. You'll sound like **** (we all did) when you first start electric guitar so why have it amplified?
Quote by Bling Dogg
Why would you suggest this when he says he doesn't want a metal or heavy rock guitar? RGs can play anything, but for what he wants to play the RG is far from the ideal guitar for him.

Like some suggested, the Yamaha Pacifica is good. And Squiers can be nice too, you just have to try some out and get the one that feels best. If you treat it right, and after time upgrade it when you want, it'll last even past your beginning stages.

I'd go for a Squier Classic Vibe 50s or 60s Strat.

If you don't mind ordering online, guitars from rondomusic.com and guitarfetish.com are very, very good.

Because RG's aren't metal guitars. they are very versatile guitars that people neglect for anything but metal.
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Hmm, well I REALLY like that Peavy the Pac Man posted, and I may just go with the Epiphone, I like the H-H pickup setup. Both packs kind of came with a few things I don't need so I can buy the spares seperate. Thanks guys, more suggestions are welcome too, might change my mind.

he mentioned he liked the H-H setup. plus i've tried many Epiphones and wasn't too impressed. now if he'd up his budget a little bit or is willing to go used, i would recommend a Fat Strat.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock