Hi UG,

One pf my best friends recently put forth a great idea for summer - do a road trip through Europe. Although I'm well-travelled, him and my other best friend have very rarely left the country; they came on holiday with me last year to France and really enjoyed it, so now we're thinking of going for 3 weeks of driving around Europe.
My only concern - and laugh all you like! - is that I'm the only qualified driver (by quite a margin) and my car is a Ford Fiesta.
For those who don't know it, it's a classic/iconic supermini that isn't really designed to leave town centres. I currently use it for driving between home and uni solo, but with three of us in the car, space would be at a premium with bags, entertainment etc.
So my plan is to borrow a trailer, get a towbar fitted and throw everything bulky in the trailer on our trip. We'd probably be bringing about 100kg of luggage in a trailer weighing about 100kg.
What are my chances of success if my car has a 1.25l engine developing 75BHP, though the car weighs 975kg? On its own, I find the car has enough power to do a lot, and I drove it fully loaded to university at about 80mph with no noticeable loss in performance.
I think the car would perform well as towbars are readily available (so it seems to be tow-capable) and we wouldn't be taking that much extra - I crammed 5 other people in the car at one point and it still moved. We're thinking of going through France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany and Netherlands in a big loop.
What d'you think UG - would it work?

Cheers,
Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by quantum leap
For those who don't know it, it's a classic/iconic supermini that isn't really designed to leave town centres.

Que?

I drive all over the country in mine, up and down the motorways, and down all country roads for work.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I'm a surfer, so have done quite a bit of travelling about to get to awesome surf breaks. My car is a P reg Renault Clio... so easily as small as yours!!

I remember.. well pretty much overloading it once; going to newquay from North Devon. 4 people in the car, 4 boards on the roof and a crap load of luggage.

Well, my rear tire blew out on the motorway. I was going around 75-80mph, the car nearly rolled and I had images of crushed mangled bones fly through my head as a fought to control the damned thing. I did manage to, luckily (extremely luckily) there were no cars around because it was really late. The RAC guy that came to get the gnarled tire off warned us that with a heavily loaded small vehicle the chances of blow-outs something like triple.. cant remember exactly, I was still a bit shaky at the time.

But that's something to keep in mind. It was scary as hell.. I wish that experience upon no-one! Just keep blow-outs in mind when your car has a heavy load.. at least drive much slower!!

Cheers.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Take less stuff and chuck it in a roof box, then you're not driving on the wrong side (which will be strange enough anyway) with a trailer thingy too
Stretched Chassis Much?
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by sam b
Take less stuff and chuck it in a roof box, then you're not driving on the wrong side (which will be strange enough anyway) with a trailer thingy too

Haven't got roof rails on the car, so running bars won't fit. I've been in France often enough to be comfortable with the other side of the road (only as a passenger, but I'm a confident driver). The trailer seems to be the easiest option, and I know to drive slower - in the UK, the legal limit with a trailer drops to 60mph. Also, I checked the manual, and the car is trailer-safe up to 250kg. Looking OK so far. And of course, I'd do lots of trail runs before going, probably have several parts (brake pads, clutch etc) replaced before I go.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
I would rent a car, probably wouldn't be too expensive and will work to your advantage. If you do decide to use the Fiesta, it will get ****ty gas mileage and maybe make it to 60MPH
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
I would rent a car, probably wouldn't be too expensive and will work to your advantage. If you do decide to use the Fiesta, it will get ****ty gas mileage and maybe make it to 60MPH

No can do, I need to be 21 to hire a car. I'm prepared for the eventuality of fuel consumption - the car already gets 50mpg, though, and fuel's a sh!tload cheaper in Europe than in England. Also, speed ain't an issue - we're prepared to spend ages on the road.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by quantum leap
No can do, I need to be 21 to hire a car. I'm prepared for the eventuality of fuel consumption - the car already gets 50mpg, though, and fuel's a sh!tload cheaper in Europe than in England. Also, speed ain't an issue - we're prepared to spend ages on the road.

Well that works then! BTW, I'm in Germany, but I get US Military discount on gas so I only pay $2.10 a gallon.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
You'll have to drive slower, and learn to reverse a trailer - which will also make finding a parking space interesting in town. I'd be tempted to get roofbars myself.

Are you happy that you can do all the driving yourself safely without getting too tired, and still have enough energy to enjoy yourself though?