I've had this amp for a few years now and it has done and still does serve me well. I play or try to play lots of different styles of music through it and as its quite versatile this amp allows me to do this.

The thing it lacks I think, I'm no expert, is gain. When trying to play some more heavy rock / metal you can't really 'get it'. And those pinch harmonics don't really squeal out, more like a 'ping'.

I'm using a Gibson SG standard (stock set up) which hopefully should be good enough and the other thing I have that someone has passed onto me is a BOSS MT-2 (Metal Zone) pedal. I suppose if I get this into my set up I can get the gain I need? From what I've read you really need to play around with the settings though as its quite fiddley?

Just after some advice on this as I don't know the in's and out's of all the technical stuff!
If your amp doesn't have neough gain, you need to boost it (if it's valve) or get a distortion pedal (if it's SS)

The distortion pedal you have been given is pretty crap, but it will probably do until you can get say:

1. An EHX Metal Muff, OR
2. A Radial ToneBone, OR
3. An MXR Distortion+

Those would be my three to look for, in no particular order.
You really shouldn't need any pedals with that amp, if it doesn't have enough gain then you're either doing something wrong or you're looking for a sound you don't actually need.

Sqeualing pinch harmonics takes skill, they're not something you can do right off the bat. The metal zone won't help, that pedal is just noise, it's pretty much got more distortion thatn anyone would ever actually need - and trust me, that's not a good thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks guys, its always good to be reassured. Maybe on my Trademark 60 I just have to crank the volume up a whole lot louder!

I can do pinch harmonics alright, I wasn't expecting to just change some settings and all of a sudden be playing like I was using the pick of destiny hehe.

Have you used a Tech 21 Trademark 60 Steven Seagull? Like I say I really like it I just couldn't find the sound so I probably was doing something 'wrong'! Would you recommend turning the Drive and Growl all the way up (5 O'Clock)? Can't seem to find much on the settings for this amp.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help / advice
A big part of a "heavy" sound is plain old volume - as amps get louder and the speaker really starts working a whole other layer of dynamics creeps into the sound, pedals like the MT2 try to compensate for that with more distortion and the results are invariably none too pretty.

I've not used the trademark, but I've used the Tech 21 sansamp which is an awesome distortion box, and as far as I know the amp uses the same technology so there shouldn't be any problems there. What amp model have you got it set to - does it have analogue modelling with 3 switches?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 17, 2009,
Yeah each Channel (of which there are two), has 3 switches and a button. Then there is the master settings.

Channel 1: Drive, Punch, Level knob's + a Bite button

Channel 2: Drive, Growl, Level knob's + a Weep Button

Master: Boost, Reverb, Low, High Knobs
Okay, let's see what we can do here...

Master controls - Bass (low) is important as that adds weight to the sound, but too much will make things muddy so just turn that up enough that a little bit of oomph creeps into the sound, don't worry about the number on the knob, just experiment and use your ears. Again with treble (high), you need that to crisp up the sound and help it cut through, but too much and it'll get harsh and hissy - again you'll be able to hear that happen. Boost shouldn't be an issue as that's solely a volume booster, it shouldn't affect the tone, don't use too much reverb as that can wash things out a bit and kill definition. Reverb should be one of those things you only notice when it's not there, if you can hear it when you're playing then there's probably too much, unless you're Eddie Van Halen.

Channel 2 specific controls - growl is your midrange, that's where all your tone is so you need that pretty high, but if too much and things can get a little bit boxy and wooly, the weep button sounds like a good thing so press that and probably work with the gain at least halfway up, if it's too high you'll just start to get too much noise and fizz and that'll be at the expense of, for a better word, balls.

If you still really can't get the tones you want then pick up an EQ pedal, that'll give you all the extra tone shaping control you need.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I was thrown a bit because I was expecting the Trademark 60 to have the same dip switches as the Trademark 30, which is in turn the same as the SansAmp...but it doesn't
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc