Page 1 of 2
why do several guitar dealers swear by them? i was in the guitar strore (to buy crybaby wah) and the only amps they seemed to sell was really high end marshalls, peavey valvekings, fender bullets and MGs

they had more MGs than anything else

so why do they seem to sell so many if theyre so crap?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

because they make money off noobs like you, please leave.
p.s i rooted your girlfriend.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
To make money.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Same reason why anything of lower quality and mass produced is pushed anywhere...they make more of them and want a return, so the sales person gets commissions for selling them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by tjhome28
Ahh you're english.

They're like asda smartprice or tesco value.

Cheap, and the quality's pretty damn awful.

this
Quality control is crap, but the name has the reputation.

Nonetheless, i have an MG, given to me as a christmas present 6 years ago. This same amp has helped me from a budding guitarist into a guitarist playing material of Vai, Petrucci, Satriani etc.
Despite the fact that it only now has one volume, a broken footswitch, effects gone crazy, all crackly pots, and volume peaks/troughs. BUT believe it or not somedays, with the aid of TS808 overdrive pedal and a wah pedal, at practice volume, it sounds good.

Anything louder etc, sounds like crap. Not Behringer crap, but crap.
Last edited by FarewellMemory at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by bucketmark
because they make money off noobs like you, please leave.
p.s i rooted your girlfriend.

I'd sig that if I had room.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I'd sig that if I had room.

Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Horlicks
MGs CAN sound very good. You just need to put a good player through them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNgBLlKGPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMuJe4VIaE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SevUeXJgw&feature=PlayList&p=45BD5656309C2E07&index=0&playnext=1

Of course, you can't gig with them. But for a practice amp, they're perfectly acceptable (Albeit overpriced).

that's something i've always known about the MG, they can sound good, but there's something very uninspiring and unenjoyable about playing through them, if you've ever tried a 'real' amp.

Fortunately, the new MG series just needs a bit of educated tweaking of the EQ before it can be a satisfying practice amp, and i hope people will be able to look past the larger MG logo and use their ears, and of course, NOT expect a cheap substitute to a JCM.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I was impressed with 1st video, that is all.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Maybe there are so many of them because they ordered in loads and knowbody has bought them, and the ealer is swearing by them to get them out of the shop? Anywas, I haven't used one so im not gonna judge...
Quote by Horlicks
MGs CAN sound very good. You just need to put a good player through them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNgBLlKGPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMuJe4VIaE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SevUeXJgw&feature=PlayList&p=45BD5656309C2E07&index=0&playnext=1

Of course, you can't gig with them. But for a practice amp, they're perfectly acceptable (Albeit overpriced).

You have to review an amp aside from a player. This good player, will sound alot better playing on, lets say, a Roland cube. That brings us back to the fact that the MG is crap.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Cause they have CRUSHING OVERDRIVE.

The lower end models sound kind of meh, and I've heard the higher end are prone to overheating due to an internal problem.
Last edited by thewho65 at Feb 17, 2009,
Because they say Marshall and they look expencive.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Because they say Marshall and they look expensive.

that's why you want one hay
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
that's why you want one hay

No I want one because I want to save some money, the vypyr is basically just paying for effects and stompboxes that I don't use.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
No I want one because I want to save some money, the vypyr is basically just paying for effects and stompboxes that I don't use.

Then get a peavey bandit instead of the MG.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by random_B-RAD

Vypyr > MG

That is all..
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by LP_CL

Good idea. The Peavey isn't likely to break down anytime soon either.
Quote by Horlicks
Good idea. The Peavey isn't likely to break down anytime soon either.

+1
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.

arghhh!! so sigg'd!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by tjhome28
Ahh you're english.

you mean Tesco value beans are not the best for high gain!?!?!
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Bigger profit margin and easy to sell because they have "Marshall" branded across the front.

It's as simple as that really.
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by LP_CL

+2

reliable workhorse amp, great clean channel and the older ones have spring reverb. Also built like a tank.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The profit mark up on them is huge by comparison to other amps in the price range and the word Marshall makes people who havn't done any research buy one
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Its about money. Companies like marshall push their high profit margin stuff really hard. They dont need to push the tube marshall stuff it sells itself for the few who can pay for em. For every tube marshall sold there are probably 10 or more MGs sold. They are cheap and have the marshall name on em. Some kid goes to a place like GC and tells his mom he has to have a halfstack or all the other kids will make fun of him, you think mom is gonna buy him a 1900$ tube amp or a 500$ MG. I know what my mother would have gotten, cheaper is always better right. A shop is going to make alot more money selling MGs than tube marshalls just in volume of sales. The shop near me only carries spider amps. I asked why they didnt carry anything decent. First he told me they were good amps, I laughed but didnt argue the point, then he told me the commission is alot higher on the spiders than other brands. He said he had trouble keeping the spiders in stock they sold so fast. If he had other amps they would compete with his spider sales and not make so much money. Most music stores are just like any other sales job their purpose is not to get you the equipment you need its to make money, if that means selling you higher profit margin junk versus lower profit quality then so be it.
It's simple man a lot of beginners and people that don't know much about tone or amps see the Marshall name and say hey this is an amp like Jim hendrix used or like Megadeth! They think because it's a Marshall it's the same kindof amp. Most of these people have never even heard of a tube amp. I had a guy ask me if Marshall even made a tube amp. That's why they sell. It's the name and nothing else.
Same reason why spiders sell. Noobs who don't know how to EQ, let alone know what good tone sounds like, buy them cause they say Marshall on them.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
Same reason why spiders sell. Noobs who don't know how to EQ, let alone know what good tone sounds like, buy them cause they say Marshall on them.

Yup. They see all their idols with Marshalls and say "I WANT THAT TONE" then they go out and buy an MG just because of the Marshall name.

And how many of these threads do we need in a day?

Quote by GNRjungle87

And how many of these threads do we need in a day?

none...........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thing is... I don't understand the original poster. Why does he give a crap if they are selling out in stores? I mean crystal meth sells good too but that don't mean it's a good thing does it!? Who cares what sells. Or even if you like an MG. Try out amps... figure out what you like.
Quote by tjhome28
Ahh you're english.

disagree

they sell because they do have a big name on them, but theyre crap inside
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by random_B-RAD

That's not correct. The vypyr sounds 10 times better than an MG. I don't use the stompboxes or effects really on my vypyr 60 tube. I use mostly just a rec and 6505 model with no effects. It sounds awesome. I would not play on an MG. The vypyr is paying for a better sounding amp not paying for effects. So you are looking at the features and judging an amp by that? That has nothing to do with if it sounds better.
Page 1 of 2