My band just wrote a bunch of 7 string songs and i basically need to play in G# tuning now

would it be handier to use a high tension set of strings on another bass aside from my main or buy a 5 string and keep that in the low tuning

bear in mind that i'm dirt poor at the moment and a new bass would take time

thanks guys
I suppose you could just put the bottom B E A and D strings from a 5 string set onto your 4 string bass. You will sacrifice some higher range but I doubt you'd need it if you're just using that bass for certain songs.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I suppose you could just put the bottom B E A and D strings from a 5 string set onto your 4 string bass. You will sacrifice some higher range but I doubt you'd need it if you're just using that bass for certain songs.

that would be pointless. 5 string basses have a longer scale than 4 strings, so even if you put the thicker gauge strings on its still going to be floppy and slap the fret board

plus the slot in the nut is filed out for an e string.... not a b string so it wouldnt fit anyways

i would start saving up for a cheap 5 string if i were you. you wont be dissapointed
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Last edited by GibsonVdude at Feb 17, 2009,
Every time you change strings the intonation etc. needs correcting. A change this big is likely to require serious adjustment.

As for the 4 vs. 5 argument, play whatever is more comfortable. I prefer the economy of motion on a 5 string, and playing a 5 string has just become natural. Many other people will always prefer 4 stringers.

EDIT

that would be pointless. 5 string basses have a longer scale than 4 strings, so even if you put the thicker gauge strings on its still going to be floppy and slap the fret board

Not always. My 5 string is 34" scale length, as are all Warwicks apart from the Dark Lord, and I believe Fender 5 strings are also 34" scale length.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Feb 17, 2009,
92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
I completely agree with that.
Quote by tommylee64
I completely agree with that.

Then you're legally retarded and should be put to death before you manage to breed and further taint the collective human genome.
Quote by GibsonVdude

plus the slot in the nut is filed out for an e string.... not a b string so it wouldnt fit anyways

That's just not true, different basses have different scale lengths, but I've played 4 stringers with longer scales then 5 stringers. Fenders standard J-bass has the exact same scale length between the 4 and 5.

The only hurdle would be filing the slots in the nuts a little bigger, which is easy as **** to accomplish.
If your going down to G# I'd recommend a 5 string. Or a thick set of 5er strings.

And when I put a set of 5er strings on my bass I didn't file the nut, it's still okay though.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>

First of all, retard alert.

Secondly, what are you playing that you need a low G#, but don't need higher strings?
Quote by Gilthresa
First of all, retard alert.

Secondly, what are you playing that you need a low G#, but don't need higher strings?

i need the top four strings of a seven string in G# tuning, the notes escape me at the moment though

EDIT: G#-C#-F#-B# low-high
Last edited by Jonny892 at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Jonny892
i need the top four strings of a seven string in G# tuning, the notes escape me at the moment though

EDIT: G#-C#-F#-B# low-high

wait, are you playing in b# or g#, if your playing in g# thats right in between a 7 string guitar and an 8 string guitar tuning. if your playing in b# thats a half step up from a 7 string. which one is it? if its b#, you could get away with getting higher gauge strings and down tuning a 4 string. if its g#, i would definitely spring for a 5 string.
its half a step down from the tuning munky in Korn uses which is A, D, G, C, F, A, D (low to high)

EDIT: Early Grave by Architects is the in the same tuning & in a similar style for reference
Last edited by Jonny892 at Feb 17, 2009,
As long as your bass neck is normal size I would just buy a 5 string set. I had the same problem, only I had a Squier Bronco Bass (A short neck) and was short on money, so i bought a set of Ernie Ball 5 strings and they wouldn't fit into the tuning heads after I had clipped the strings down to the right size. But If your bass is normal size, then i recommend that you use a set of five strings and just do that until you have enough money to get a 5 string. Though, i recently got an ESP B-55 and that sounds a million times betterthan what I had before.
G#, Eh? I tune there sometimes, and I find it kind of useless. The only reason I tuned there was because I was covering a few BTBAM songs. You should better buy the 5 String, just for the sheer fact that 1 1/2 steps< 4 steps
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
thats pretty frickin low dude.

get a 5 string, or you might suffer "flppy string syndrome" which doesnt make much of a difference no matter how thick your strings are.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I'd say your best option is learn to play the songs your band wants to play in standard or a not-so-low tuning. If that's possible I would do that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
I'd say your best option is learn to play the songs your band wants to play in standard or a not-so-low tuning. If that's possible I would do that.

+1
Play in C#
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
I love my fiver. Playing 4 feels weird now.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410