Heres the background: I've been playing guitar for about 1 year (im 15 years old at the min) and just recently bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 which i must add is great , but ive got 80 pounds left and my birthday is coming up and ive looked at a guitar in the local store which costs 350 and ive been wanting to save for it, its a Ibanez Sas32ex and i may just get enough from my birthday or if not then i can probably lend some off my parents but im not sure if thats the correct decision.
Should i really buy a 350 pound guitar or should i just not save up, get a job and then start saving? The guitar ive got now is a Westone Thunder 2, which probably no-one would ever heard of but its not really that much of a crappy guitar, it cost my dad 200 pounds about 21 years ago but obviously the 350 pounds would be better, but would it be a better idea just to spend my birthday money on other stuff, and then save money up when i have a job later on in life (possibly a few years time).
Then i could learn off the guitar ive got at the min, and then buy like a 600-700 pound guitar once i had the money, it would be a big step up and i'd have more knowledge on guitar playing.
This is one annoying decision and need some opinions and facts to help me,
Cheers
Gear:

Westone: Thunder 2
BOSS: Heavy Metal HM-2
Marlin: HML 10L
Peavey: Vypyr 30
I've played the Ibanez RG350EX and DX, i wasnt too sure about how the neck felt =s
Gear:

Save up for your dream guitar no point constantly upgrading
Long Live Rock
Quote by Blagworth08
I've played the Ibanez RG350EX and DX, i wasnt too sure about how the neck felt =s

why? too thin?
Its easier said than done, ive been saving up for the amp and guitar for a while now, i'd probs spend the lyk 300quid i get for this guitar, would have 2 start saving again from payment from a job, not sure how long that would take though :S
Gear:

Not sure if the neck was too thin, but i didnt like the feel of the strings against the neck =S but the ibanez sas32ex felt fine, its about 1mm thicker than the ibanez RG32ex so not much difference
Gear:

I'd get the Ibanez personally. I have no patience, and a new guitar always inspires me to play more.
Quote by Blagworth08
Not sure if the neck was too thin, but i didnt like the feel of the strings against the neck =S but the ibanez sas32ex felt fine, its about 1mm thicker than the ibanez RG32ex so not much difference

hmm... I dunno it feels fine to me
but yeah seriously dont bother saving up for your "dream guitar" just yet
work your way through the price ranges
Go for it !
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
at the minute i'm really tempted to save up for a ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - http://www.dv247.com/invt/47018/ but that would be hard work and i dont even know about active pick ups really, just they are like hardcore metal, can anyone spread some light on how active pick ups work and how you need to recharge them or wat ever?
Gear:

Nothing worse than having to do the boring bits of learning on a guitar you don't like much. Better to spend the money now and start saving for when you want to go top flight in a few years time. One of the best guitarists I ever heard played an entry level Yamaha with single pickup all the time. All he spent on it was an upgrade to a Hot Rails. It just suited him. I don't know what part of UK you are in but if its Birmingham then ask any older muso about the guy that ran Rich Bitch Studios in the eighties.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I live in Newcastle sorry
Gear:

WOW, same situation alert, Im 14 nearly 15, Been playing around a year, Ordered a Vypyr 30 Last night and am planning on saving up for a new guitar. I have a paper round at the moment so I will save up to christmas, get around £500 and then im gonna get a new guitar, How is the vypyr 30 amp aswell?

EDIT: Is there any chance you could get the money from your Birthday put into a bank account and you can keep adding money to it up until you have enough?
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 17, 2009,
The peavey vypyr 30 is pretty cool but i must say when i first got it i had a few problems, first time i plugged it in it didnt work so i had to unplug it and plug it back in a few times to finally get it to work, but it rarely does that now (it might have stopped now, the more i play through it, the less it does it)
It has a pretty hardcore metal sound and i love playing around with the sound, but to be fair, the stomp boxes and amp effects are rarely going to get used.
I still havent had the volume past 1 and its really loud for my bedroom. The other day i had the pre and post gain all the way up to the top and the volume wasnt past one but i started to get a bad head because it was too loud and i normally listen to VERY LOUD music on my PC so.... =p

And yeh i was thinking about opening a bank account soon
Gear:

Cool, I was hoping it would get here today but it hasn't yet And I heard they are very loud and sometimes freeze, but I think I'll have fun with all the effects.

And deffinatly get a bank account, I have one now and I just put all my money in there and it stps you from spending it all and get a little interest, Also, did you say you hadf a job?
nope i dont have a job at the minute, wouldn't mind one though, just theres no chance of a paper job around here their queues are real big
Gear:

Yea, the qeues we big for me, you might aswell just put your name down for one and cover people if they are holidays etc. then just take your name off the list if you find a different job. My paper round is how I saved up for my £500 Jump Bike