Hello all,
I have been playing guitar for about 4 years now. I have always been a bit modest about it. My friends often tell me I'm good but I'm sure most understand what it's like to hold yourself up to Hendrix, Richards, Clapton and B.B. My question for you - so I can gain a little perspective - is 'What song was it that made you decide for yourselves that you were finally good at guitar?"
Thanks
J
when i got master of puppets down almost without any mistakes, that was the point for me i guess lol
When I finally got Bastard Chain by Soilwork down, even though I thought it was way out of my league.
You shall listen to Kamelot.
When I attempted to play Flight of the Bumblebee for the school talent show after like 6 months of playing, and failed moderately bad. Extremely bad actually
I used to be able to play the solos for Enter Sandman and The Trooper after about 1.5 - 2 years of playing, although I can't really play them anymore so they were probs really messy when I played them before.
TRANSFORMICE

Back when I listened to simple music, after about 7 months of playing I finally learned Bark At The Moon by Ozzy Osbourne and I thought I was really awesome. I got over all that cockiness though, and now after for playing 3 years I don't think I'm any good. Even though my friends think I'm the best guitarist in our school, they are just comparing me to other people who suck, or comparing me to the guitarists they listen to in their pop music or whatever.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Depends on what you describe as "good".
If you want to be good in a way where mosty ppl would regard you as "good", then you don't have to know a lot of guitar. It's more your whit that plays a role there I think.
If you want to be able to play most things that hit the radio because you consider that "good", then you'll have to know the basics and be able to quickly learn small things.

There's also the difference between a good guitarist (many ppl are good or very good guitarists technically) and a good musician. Like Yngwie Malmsteen is a very good guitarist, but I don't consider him a brilliant musician. He will be considered good by a big crowd because of the impressive guitartechnical skill he has acquired, but individual musicians might find him bad because of the lack of variation musically.

In the end, good is what you think is good. If you're happy with your playing, then you're good. If you're not, then you need to improve more. Sorry for the stereotypical answer which might not help you at all, but it's just true :s
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by yellowshirtguy
Back when I listened to simple music, after about 7 months of playing I finally learned Bark At The Moon by Ozzy Osbourne and I thought I was really awesome. I got over all that cockiness though, and now after for playing 3 years I don't think I'm any good. Even though my friends think I'm the best guitarist in our school, they are just comparing me to other people who suck, or comparing me to the guitarists they listen to in their pop music or whatever.

This guy here perfectly illustrates my point ^^
It's a matter of perspective...
I was the best guitarist in my high school too, even though I was sh*t.
"De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum" (--> can't argue about flavor...)
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
I'm getting to the point where I think I'm ok - I doubt I will ever actually believe I am good, cos as Horlicks said you can always improve
I know what you mean TS, i have got a lot of people, some of whom are actually quite qualifed usos, telling me the same thing, and like you I can't help but feel that it is not so, especially when compared to the true greats like Albert king, Buddy Guy, Clapton, hendrix etc.

I dont think you ever consider yourself good, beacuase you always hear room for improvement.
Surfing With the Alien—junior year of high school. So yeah, that was Two years ago or whatever.
Shining moment, however, was sophomore year—a solo version of Mediterranean Sundance, with most of Al's licks used.. and all up to the live version's speed.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
when you can play anything and you'll know it sounds good
not speed or technicallity
just the way it sounds
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
You are good when you are able to play fluently the songs you like.

I can play some songs fluently, but they are not hard at all, so I don't consider myself a good player.
Real soon now.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Hard to say because it's like Horlicks sayed: you can be always better.
...so i don't really think i'm any good, but i remember that feeling when i forced to fall Cemetery Gates solo
I think in technical terms I'm 'good:' I'm fast, accurate, and have all techniques like sweeping, alt and eco picking, and even legato with just the left hand I'm quite proficient. Not to sound too full of myself, because I know I could always improve and I always practice a lot to do so. However, as a musician I'm pretty far from even 7% of where I want to be.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Depends on what do you want from your guitar?
When you think you got it,you're good.
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Quote by Sakattack75
when you can play anything and you'll know it sounds good
not speed or technicallity
just the way it sounds

i completly agree.
In my mind i suck now because i cant just pick up my guitar and play something that sounds good.I will consider myself a 'better' guitar player when ill be able to play fast solos,understand the whole theory,learn different techniques and be able to just pick up guitar and play something nice.

I think its matter of your goals,what do you really want to achieve while playing guitar?

Quote by emad
Depends on what do you want from your guitar?
When you think you got it,you're good.

<agrees>
Last edited by Recon _/ at Feb 17, 2009,
The day im standing on stage next to petri lindroos will be the day im finally good.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
I started playing acoustic nylon and two weeks after I bought an electric I nailed the intro of Thunderstruck. Right there and then I knew that Jimi, Slash, Satriani or anyone would pale in comparison to my awesomeness.

You're good when you're satisfied. And if you go pro or play gigs, you're as good as the crowd is impressed.
i played for about 4 years before i was starting to get where i wanted to be. I had been told i was good before that, but are we ever as good as we want to be? I think th turning point was when i stop playing other peolpes music and started making my own stuff up (influenced of course by the myriad styles i had been attempthing prior). i spent alot of time trying to play perfectly (like others music) but realized if you make it your own it doesnt have to be perfect. now i just try to get progressions down and try to jazz it up in my own way - little solo here, a couple hammers there.

I guess the point i knew i waz good (at least better than most around me) was when a friend who i always thought was really good started asking me for tips and advice.

when you surpass your master, thats a good clue.
really though i agree with all those who said - its whatever your goals are, and how quickly you can achieve them.
Once you think you're good your doomed. Just stop thinking about it.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
Surfing With the Alien—junior year of high school. So yeah, that was Two years ago or whatever.
Shining moment, however, was sophomore year—a solo version of Mediterranean Sundance, with most of Al's licks used.. and all up to the live version's speed.

i doubt you got Mediterranean sundance up to live speed without a pick, which is the way it needs to be done. i have it at like 75% speed w/ no pick
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...