I began playing guitar last week. Yesterday I picked up a tab and tried some picking. Naturally, it was difficult for me. But I'm wondering, are there ways to silence strings I don't need vibrating while I'm picking other strings?

Also, my 6th string gives a little buzz whenever I play it. Is this normal? Or do I need to change the string? I was told I should raise the bridge a bit.

P.S. Sorry if these topics have been done already.
Last edited by TheOrangeRift at Feb 17, 2009,
Haha, you're the one that had that Board King glitch, eh? On topic, you can use your left hand to silence the strings. For example, you're playing a note on the low E string, you can use your left hand. If you're playing a note on the B string, you can use your left hand to mute the high E string, and use your right hand to mute the other 4.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
You mean use your THUMB to mute strings? Reeeeally bad technique.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Ok I'm trying to play this riff:

e|----------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------|
G|----------------------------0----|
D|--2-0---0---------2-0---0-2----|
A|------2---2-0---------2--------|
E|0-------------3-0---------------|

What I do so far is I play the open string E, then use my index finger to hit the 2nd fret, and at the same time use the edge of my palm to silence the ringing E. How would I use other fingers to mute the open E without ending up with a hammer-on?
That technique is fine. Another alternative would be to hit the open E, then use your middle finger to hit the 2nd fret D string, while using your index to mute the open E.
But your technique is fine.
Quote by angus fan16