Hey guys. I write some music from time to time, but one thing I'm really struggling with is writing good vocal melodies. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on good ways to approach it and things to keep in mind, such as what parts of words to accent, and when to do long notes and short notes, and stuff like that. Cheers.
sig goes here
There really isn't a "science" or "technique" to this. It's just something that you do. Literally, any notes in the key of the song you're writing can technically work but, not all of them will sound really great. What most people look for is a hook that keeps people listening over and over. There are books that go over this type of thing I've heard and they try to convince you that certain intervals work better than others but, I think that's all BS. Anyways, just my opinion. Good luck.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by griffRG7321
Make up a melody on an instrument then do that same melody but use your voice.

Funny that I do the exact opposite to write melodies on the guitar.
Quote by jasonmetal love
There really isn't a "science" or "technique" to this. It's just something that you do. Literally, any notes in the key of the song you're writing can technically work but, not all of them will sound really great. What most people look for is a hook that keeps people listening over and over. There are books that go over this type of thing I've heard and they try to convince you that certain intervals work better than others but, I think that's all BS. Anyways, just my opinion. Good luck.
I disagree

Writing vocal melodies with way too many jumps will always make a bad melody and expecting an untrained singer (by trained, I mean opera singer or professional jazz singer) to sing compound intervals and augmented intervals is insane. There's definitely a skill and a technique to it.

CHeck my sig, even if I haven't finished them. Some simple points I haven't included in my blogs, keep stressed beats as chord tones, no jumps bigger than a perfect fifth (there are exceptions to this) and no diminished/augmented jumps (there are also exceptions to this).

Also, keep stressed words and sylables on stressed beats.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.